IGNORED

Shock Horror!

Riaz

I went to the same school as John Laycock, in the same class. He was a very talented footballer (better than me unfortunately!) and he trialled for the gas, and I believe, turned out for their reserves while still at school. When decision time came though I think he chose Uni over pro footie and his success probably proves he made the right choice. Where-ever his past allegencies may have been, I guess the amount of investment he has put into BCFC rathers defines where his support is now. For all I know he may still follow Burnely, his home town, but it's our club he's put his dosh into.

I went to the same school as John Laycock, in the same class. He was a very talented footballer (better than me unfortunately!) and he trialled for the gas, and I believe, turned out for their reserves while still at school. When decision time came though I think he chose Uni over pro footie and his success probably proves he made the right choice. Where-ever his past allegencies may have been, I guess the amount of investment he has put into BCFC rathers defines where his support is now. For all I know he may still follow Burnely, his home town, but it's our club he's put his dosh into.

I guess you went to chipping sodbury grammar school then? As did my dad and another poster on this forum, and they both knew John "LaVcock"

From what I can gather from my dads ramblings Laycock was one of these annoyingly talented people who excelled at football, cricket etc and he was on Rovers books for quite a while, but never making the grade and so was released without ever making a senior appearance for the first team.

However, I'm pretty sure to label him as a gashead is a bit wide of the mark. Why is it of any interest to dunceford anyway?

So did I,

He was our house captain (Waters) You MUST remember AGI

fautes corrigee x100

SL's gashead history was first revealed by the, then, youngcidered (not sure what name he is going under now) in his fanzine interview with SL, a link to which was posted on this forum in August 2003. It came and was quickly pulled following the rumpus it caused (evidently combined with some pressure from the certain people on this forum).

It did make a great read while it lasted though. Does anyone else remember this?

If JL and SL were both gasheads, then why do they both follow Bristol CITY home and away and pump millions of pounds of their own money into this club?

Just a minor contradiction to claims that they're both Rovers fans.

The only connection I can see is that they both originate from North Bristol, but then so do I.

If JL and SL were both gasheads, then why do they both follow Bristol CITY home and away and pump millions of pounds of their own money into this club?

Just a minor contradiction to claims that they're both Rovers fans.

The only connection I can see is that they both originate from North Bristol, but then so do I.

Maybe you should ask Steve and John that question.

I guess you went to chipping sodbury grammar school then?

Guilty as charged!

He was our house captain (Waters)

I was in Durham House and we generally won naff all at sports etc. Prepared me for a lifetime of following City!

Bloody Laycock was good at all sports, I sure I recall he beat me in the school sports half mile, when form suggested I would win!

May be we should have a rematch around the pitch for a few laps at half time for the over fifties!! Then again, maybe not! :D:city:

SL's gashead history was first revealed by the, then, youngcidered (not sure what name he is going under now) in his fanzine interview with SL, a link to  which was posted on this forum in August 2003. It came and was quickly pulled following the rumpus it caused (evidently combined with some pressure from the certain people on this forum).

It did make a great read while it lasted though. Does anyone else remember this?

I think that the interview that you're referring to was from the summer of 2002. The question and answer went something like:

Q: How long have you supported City?

A. For about twelve years now. Before that, I followed a team from north Bristol.

I think that the interview that you're referring to was from the summer of 2002. The question and answer went something like:

Q: How long have you supported City?

A. For about twelve years now. Before that, I followed a team from north Bristol.

Oh,the good old days.

When the forum was 'red hot' in debate.

No doubt where JL & SL may have had their scarves flying & it was at the time a great deabte.

Without doubt the bottom line in the decision to invest in BCFC was down to both being successful businessmen & if either club was on your business CV, I know which one I would have chosen.

And credit to SD for spotting that these guys could secure the future of BCFC.

I will always remember SD's comments,that with SL & JL on the board at BCFC the club will be in safe hands.

What a spot,we now have 3 of the top 100 richest people in soccer at the helm of this club.

While their routes may have been from the dark side,it is our gain & their loss.

You have the dosh,you are successful local businessmen & it's nce to be seen as a Director or Chairman of a potentially big football club.

If the Gas had more potential I am sure we would have seen them in the Directors box at the Mem.

If I remember rightly the classic line that JL came out with was "I am a fan of Bristol football" UMH!!

Its a bit like the Gold Brothers at Birmingham who are well known West Ham fans, but have a seat at a prem club & enjoy the success they have achieved. But they keep an eye on the Hammers results.

SL & JL have the dosh & we can look over at the dark side & stick two fingers up & say how grateful we are.

Cant see what the problem is. I know loads who were Gas, now theyre Red. Never known anyone go the other way.

Sort of tells you something, doesnt it?

think about it....i know id never change....don't think you,d change....they cant be true gas if they went to you lot..they are called drifters...or glory hunters....who ever is doing the best bla bla...we had it when you were in the old first division...were better off without em...youre either blue or red...but hey thats only my humble oppinion.... :Party12:

think about it....i know id never change....don't think you,d change....they cant be true gas if they went to you lot..they are called drifters...or glory hunters....who ever is doing the best bla bla...we had it when you were in the old first division...were better off without em...youre either blue or red...but hey thats only my humble oppinion.... :Party12:

I have a gas mate (see, I'm not prejudiced) who said, when Rovers were rather close to the Conference a couple of years ago, "that it would probably be best if they went down, cos in the long run it would be best for Bristol football, cos eventually all the gas would become Red. Then with a larger support, City could more easily become a big club". Just telling you what he said.

Without doubt the bottom line in the decision to invest in BCFC was down to both being successful businessmen & if either club was on your business CV, I know which one I would have chosen.

No different to Harry Dolman - who was invited to one Rovers board meeting in about 1938, disagreed with the decision they were then making to sell Eastville so left the clowns to it and came down the Gate instead.

The support of JL & SL for this club is both tangible and indisputable.

Guest bristolbred

I'm shocked to read that dispite being worth millions!!, and no doubt that his old man was worth a few bob back then!!,

That Steve Lansdown didn't go to Comprehensive School!!, :speechless3: :speechless20: :speechless3:

So, there i rest my case!!, :city:

No man who never had the chance to eat the end of his school jumper, and to wipe his runny nose in the other one, to duff up a spotty gashead monitor, play truant, pick the scabs off of an exposed knee, & eat it leaving a scar, and snog girls behind the bike shed, whilst smoking players untipped fags is really 100% City!!, :D

:D

Archived