IGNORED

Who Should Be City's Captain

cheshire_red

Captain....firstly needs to have the respect of his team mates. Then needs to be able to read the play, communicate with and organise players during the game. Finally pay the captain more money, if he can do all the above well, he's worth more money. Who do we have that does all that. No one player at the moment, Dinning perhaps if he shapes up on a regular basis,Murray ditto, and again a good play reader.The best players don't always make good captains or coaches.

The captain needs to be a consistently good performer; rules out Murray and Butler! :D

He also needs a good attitude and not to be a petulant gimp; rules out Coles and Doherty! :P

Therefore, as I prefer my captains to be in the middle of it all, I would go for the mercurical Australian :city:

I would probably have Hill as Vice-Captain

Wheres Phillips in this poll  :D He's always shouting out instructions to the team and is a key player  :city:

He is also a very petulant person. I suspect he has the respect of the players, however, I would be shocked if he was a popular character.

I personally have the bloke down as an idiot. Especially witnessing his S7OPPR black death-mobile in action a couple of nights ago.

I just wish a copper had been around to witness it; blokes a loon! :D

He is also a very petulant person. I suspect he has the respect of the players, however, I would be shocked if he was a popular character.

I personally have the bloke down as an idiot.  Especially witnessing his S7OPPR black death-mobile in action a couple of nights ago.

I just wish a copper had been around to witness it; blokes a loon!  :D

Well I have seen him many a time entering Ashton Gate and he seems more than happy to stop to sign autogrpahs for fans much than can be said for certain others. SO thats a good start. At least when he is present in front of young fans before/after the game he doesn't feel the need to excessivley swear.

He is in fact far from an idiot. And "death mobile"!! :D:city:

Neo, don't take this this the wrong way but I think someones jealous.

He is in fact far from an idiot. And "death mobile"!!  :D  :city:

Neo, don't take this this the wrong way but I think someones jealous.

How well you don't know me.

I think your love of Phillips clouds your judgement.

You see a good looking guy who signs autographs for kids.

I see a man who ignored my daughters shouts for his autograph (and yes he could hear her),

I see a man who started a rather loud, swearing infested argument in a pre-season friendly with no regard for the fact kids could hear him,

I see a man who drives like he owns the road with little regard for the safety of other road users.

You stick to your hormone driven version of Steve and i'll make up my own mind thans very much.

As for jealous? He's better looking than me, he earns more money, I would sell my soul for his job. However, I would rather be the man I am than the man he is any day of the week and twice on Sundays! :D

Wheres Phillips in this poll  :city: He's always shouting out instructions to the team and is a key player  :D

Every keeper needs to shout out instructions to the team, doesn't mean hes a good captain. Anyway the captain is best of in the middle of the field, like centre midfield or centre back where they can read the game. I think Dinning would be the best

How well you don't know me.

I think your love of Phillips clouds your judgement.

You see a good looking guy who signs autographs for kids.

I see a man who ignored my daughters shouts for his autograph (and yes he could hear her),

I see a man who started a rather loud, swearing infested argument in a pre-season friendly with no regard for the fact kids could hear him,

I see a man who drives like he owns the road with little regard for the safety of other road users.

You stick to your hormone driven version of Steve and i'll make up my own mind thans very much.

As for jealous?  He's better looking than me, he earns more money, I would sell my soul for his job.  However, I would rather be the man I am than the man he is any day of the week and twice on Sundays!  :D

I don't think my "love of Phillips clouds my judgement". Yes he may be my favourite player but I would speak up if I was annoyed about him or any other City player.

"You see a good looking guy who signs autographs for kids". Actually I see a football player actaully bothering to sign autogrpahs for fans waiting by the players entrance. Less can be said for other individuals who don;t seem to want to bother.

"I see a man who ignored my daughters shouts for his autograph (and yes he could hear her)" All players have a tendancy to do that sometimes.

"I see a man who started a rather loud, swearing infested argument in a pre-season friendly with no regard for the fact kids could hear him," Don't we all swear if we get into quite a big argument with a disliked person.

"You stick to your hormone driven version of Steve and i'll make up my own mind thans very much". :Sleep12: I'll stick actually to the version of him that we all know, a great goalkeeper and a great asset to our team. Where you there when he saved the Everton penalty - or did you miss that one?

Clare i don't think neo is questioning his ability because as you said he is a big asset to our team, hes a huge asset. i rate him as a player though i feel you both may be looking through tinted glass at him. He is a great player although i don't think he is passionate enough to be he captain.

We all have our different interpretations of people I suppose. Well I was just trying to point out in a way that ability does count. Personally I think he would make quite a good captain, I do understand that not everybody rates him as "captain material". Maybe thats because nobodys really given him a chance.

I don't think we have a genuine leader in the side at the moment, someone who can get the best out of his team mates on the pitch, when things aren't going well some will need encouragement and some will need a kick up the back side. Tommy Doc in my opinion has to many personnel battles with opponents or the referee and is always likely to be sent off, not good captain material. how many people have been captain in the past couple of years, Butler, Carey, Hill, Tinman, Peacock, Doc, Bell, even Joe Burnell, sort of who wants the arm band today, in my mind it totally undermines the honour of Captaining Bristol City. Plus I believe the skipper should be an automatic choice in the side unless suffering a dramatic loss of form, Sorry about the blag, to answer the question maybe Murrey. :D

Guest Princess Bananahammer
Good teams don't really need a captain as such, just someone to represent them on the field. But that someone has to be someone who players can respect for their skill, determination and attitude. It also has to be someone who never "hides" during a game and will always look for the ball and get stuck in regardless of the score or how he is playing. Those qualities rub off on others.

We only have one player like that - and he is captain.

Alot of the arguments are sound but I think last year when Matthew had the arm band he did very well and also scored us a goal. He is one of our most dedicated players and give 110% and you off the pitch he is a Ian Wright in the making he has mine and family's vote anyday... as for Phillips he can stay where he is

Just out of Interest what is the point of this Poll?

Docs is captain and has been for a while now. He has the respect of all the players so what is the problem.

I have said it before and I will say it again.... If you ask any of the city players who is the most influential player at the club the majority of the players will say Tommy.

Pointless Poll

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Taking the captaincy away from Tommy D would be silly,it may take a little away from his game if you do....he wears the armband with pride because he's a Bedminster boy....he wasn't quite the same after the 2-3 years of injuries so he needs to wear that armband to give him that bit extra to his game,Doc's was being kept out of the side by the likes of Burnell,Hulbert,and Summerbell in 01/02 on his return,that is until he was given the armband and excelled!

Dinning is an experienced pro looking to make a good impression,so why give him the armband? It's like having a captain out there anyway with this Dinning guy,no need to give him the armband then,but Doc's needs it and we need Doc's to have it!

Tinnion was never captain because he didn't need to be,he did it naturally....

We all have our different interpretations of people I suppose. Well I was just trying to point out in a way that ability does count. Personally I think he would make quite a good captain, I do understand that not everybody rates him as "captain material". Maybe thats because nobodys really given him a chance.

Phillips is a good keeper but never a captain unless his attitude changes, Neo is right about him being a loon!!

Archived