IGNORED

As It Stands

blackthorn slice

Funny how those who began supporting City in the mid 80s get annoyed with those who have longer memories.

For anyone who has followed City for 30 years or more we have seen the very best City can offer and the very worst and believe me, when it was bad it was bad. At one stage it looked like we wouldn't have a club to follow.

Those who have followed City for just under 20 years or less have only ever seen City play in the old 2nd division or old 3rd division. We have spent 18 of the last 23 years in the bottom two divisions. This is our 6th consecutive season in this division with a seventh looking highly likely.

So, for those fans who have only ever seen City in the old 2nd and 3rd (mainly the 3rd) it's a case of 'as you were'.

For those who can remember the 1st division days, it's becoming increasingly frustrating and tedious to see this club flailing and struggling to get out of a division that year on year gets poorer and poorer while the excuses wear thinner and thinner.

But then again, I do realise it's wrong to criticise the club what with only [insert number between 21 and 45] games gone.

Guest 21stCenturyPbman
Funny how those who began supporting City in the mid 80s get annoyed with those who have longer memories. 

For anyone who has followed City for 30 years or more we have seen the very best City can offer and the very worst and believe me, when it was bad it was bad.  At one stage it looked like we wouldn't have a club to follow.

Those who have followed City for just under 20 years or less have only ever seen City play in the old 2nd division or old 3rd division.  We have spent 18 of the last 23 years in the bottom two divisions.  This is our 6th consecutive season in this division with a seventh looking highly likely.

So, for those fans who have only ever seen City in the old 2nd and 3rd (mainly the 3rd) it's a case of 'as you were'.

For those who can remember the 1st division days, it's becoming increasingly frustrating and tedious to see this club flailing and struggling to get out of a division that year on year gets poorer and poorer while the excuses wear thinner and thinner.

But then again, I do realise it's wrong to criticise the club what with only [insert number between 21 and 45] games gone.

A very good point - it seems that the younger you are, the happier you are with the current mediocrity. We have an entire generation of young (ish) fans who know nothing other than City being big fish in a small pool. I think they actually quite like this situation, and they really don't want City to be successful because they won't be able to taunt the 100 or so away fans in the Wedlock stand anymore.

The younger generation find it hard to believe that City were once in the top division of English football. Mind you, after spending the last twenty years watching (mostly) lower division dross at AG I find it hard to believe myself sometimes.....!

I'm not having a go at the long time City fans.

Fair play you have been through the mill and back. But those days are gone - wake up. We aren't the same Bristol City. Try being realistic, this is where we are now and we are where we are cos we deserve to be there!

As asked of 21stCenturyPbman before, how do you solve this problem? How do you take the club forward? He wouldnt propose anything.

So MAGILLA, what about you? How do we make this club a force that it once was? Your ideas please?

I'm not having a go at the long time City fans.

Fair play you have been through the mill and back. But those days are gone - wake up. We aren't the same Bristol City. Try being realistic, this is where we are now and we are where we are cos we deserve to be there!

As asked of 21stCenturyPbman before, how do you solve this problem? How do you take the club forward? He wouldnt propose anything.

So MAGILLA, what about you? How do we make this club a force that it once was? Your ideas please?

Trim the squad.

New, experienced management with proven track record - new broom sweeps clean etc.

Fewer coaches.

Make more use of Academy products financially - i.e. stop letting them walk out of the door for nothing.

Abandon plans for pointless Wedlock stand upgrade (Busby said something along the lines of 'people will stand knee-deep in pig muck to watch a good football team') Do that when we're established in the Divison above.

Basically, City are in the comfort zone and have been for far too long. There's no serious competition from the other local professional teams. People may snigger at Wigan's gates but look at their competition - Bolton, Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Man City, Stockport, Preston.

It's all there for City yet it just gets wasted year after year. How many more teams are going to leap-frog us? We've got the resources so we're told, potential etc, huge fan base blah, blah, blah - when is all that going to be utilised in order to get us promoted?

Yeah, there are still people talking that kind of rubbish now.

:wub:;)  :dunno:

If your happy with the drivel that we are being served up year after year then that's fine, I have possibly 40-50 years ahead of me - maybe more if I'm lucky, I don't want to spend my entire life watching this arse football, as Magilla has said already, we suppposedly have the fan base, the money, the academy, the right man for the job and the right players every year for the past 6 seasons yet we have always failed.

I am not happy with constant failure, you might be, to you it's ok, for me it's criminal. I have very few memories of watching top flight football at Ashton gate because I was only 5 or 6 at the time, what I do remember was the buzz of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal coming to play Bristol City at a packed house FOR A LEAGUE GAME.

If your excited that league leaders LUTON TOWN are coming to Ashton gate in a few weeks time, don't expect me to be, we have had the money over the past 6 years to get out of this league 3 or 4 times over, others have done it on a shoestring so why can't we get these expensive players to perform every week, I wouldn't expect us to win every game but Doncaster away and Blackpool away are must win games if the attitude is right. It obviously isn't right and therefore we have got to get rid of 4 or 5 from this squad who are only average players because they are keeping us in this awful league.

Guest bristolbred
I am not happy with constant failure,

Come with the territory of being a City supporter!!, ;)

I said it when he got appointed, and i'll say it again, Tinn's should be allowed 3 seasons to get us promoted!!, :wub:

IF it were to happen this season, then i shall be as extatic as the next supporter, second place is a distinct possibility, if we get a winning streak together like last season, and other results go our way, and then there's the play-off's, but look at our track record there!!, :dunno:

We have spent a vast fortune to try and get out of this division, while others who are currently doing well, have not. you can't buy your way out of the division, but if you have a squad of 22 players who gel, and play well together, you can!!, :ph34r:

Come with the territory of being a City supporter!!,  ;)

I said it when he got appointed, and i'll say it again, Tinn's should be allowed 3 seasons to get us promoted!!,  :wub:

IF it were to happen this season, then i shall be as extatic as the next supporter, second place is a distinct possibility, if we get a winning streak together like last season, and other results go our way, and then there's the play-off's, but look at our track record there!!,  :dunno:

We have spent a vast fortune to try and get out of this division, while others who are currently doing well, have not. you can't buy your way out of the division, but if you have a squad of 22 players who gel, and play well together, you can!!,  :ph34r:

I too would be ecstatic, as for "extatic" thats unchartered waters. I notice you are our biggest poster. Support from all mediums is truly welcome.

If your happy with the drivel that we are being served up year after year then that's fine, I have possibly 40-50 years ahead of me - maybe more if I'm lucky, I don't want to spend my entire life watching this arse football, as Magilla has said already, we suppposedly have the fan base, the money, the academy, the right man for the job and the right players every year for the past 6 seasons yet we have always failed.

I am not happy with constant failure, you might be, to you it's ok, for me it's criminal. I have very few memories of watching top flight football at Ashton gate because I was only 5 or 6 at the time, what I do remember was the buzz of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal coming to play Bristol City at a packed house FOR A LEAGUE GAME.

If your excited that league leaders LUTON TOWN are coming to Ashton gate in a few weeks time, don't expect me to be, we have had the money over the past 6 years to get out of this league 3 or 4 times over, others have done it on a shoestring so why can't we get these expensive players to perform every week, I wouldn't expect us to win every game but Doncaster away and Blackpool away are must win games if the attitude is right. It obviously isn't right and therefore we have got to get rid of 4 or 5 from this squad who are only average players because they are keeping us in this awful league.

I am excited. It's as excited as I can get for the current situation we are in and that's called realism for you. Fair enough, you may not be as excited or "up for it" and that is up to you sir. We have not been good enough the past couple of seasons and we find ourselves where we are cos that's what we deserve.

So from over analysing your post, you suggest getting rid of 4 or 5 players, and that is our stumbling block and the reason why we are still in this division?

Who are these 4 or 5 and in getting rid of them, what else needs to be done to get us into the Premier League to play against the likes of Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal again?

I guess we bring in another four or five quality players who wish to come to Ashton Gate to get the club promoted rather then to pick up "Chelsea" style wages for the division we are in (© Brentford Manager 2004)?

Whoever is brought in I guess then, is expected to perform and take us straight up and into the next division and on again pretty much instantly?

What else needs to be done Screech?

Guest 21stCenturyPbman

I am reluctant to propose anything on a PUBLIC forum because these things are best discussed in private. Magilla's response to your question is probably enough for you to think about for now.

Perhaps the difference is that high profile footballers these days have made their money and have no need to continue playing unless they really want to.

Maybe players from the era you are referring to did love the game more (I certainly couldn't imagine the likes of Emlyn Hughes 'retiring from international football' (Jeez that annoys me)), but they also needed to earn a living for as long as possible, as they weren't made for life at the age of 30, as the vast majority of Premiership players are these day.

Perhaps money was the issue then too, insofar as players had to keep earning it in the professional game for longer.

Good point.

I was reading Norman Hunter's autobiography recently and he said his pay actually went up when he joined City from Leeds.

It went up to £240 per week! which may have been a lot in 1976 but it wasn't by any means the equivalent of £30-40k a week which players who will never be as well known (or good) as Norman get these days.

So where do we go now? This is modern day professional football full of "over paid" footballers who at the end of the day get paid no matter what performance they dish out.

We do play pretty passing football but usually lack the movement off the ball, you end up passing the ball around static players. You battle for the ball and you get players falling all over the place like they've been shot!  :dunno:

I think we have to look no further than Everton. They are the prime example of togetherness and are showing what a team that wants to play for the club and gives 110% to the cause can acheive.

I am reluctant to propose anything on a PUBLIC forum because these things are best discussed in private. Magilla's response to your question is probably enough for you to think about for now.

Glad you're whinging with lots of points to back you up then.

Fair play to Everton. We gave em a good run for their money when they were down here too :dunno:

Guess we will see how much our players want it this weekend!

Archived