IGNORED

2004 - The Highs And The Lows

One Team

So, its December 23rd and the Christmas and New Year period is upon us; high time for some reflection!

What are your top three "highs and lows" of the season?

To kick it off, here's mine:

Top 3 Highs

1. The Hartlepool play-off semi final - the last 10 minutes were simply so of the best moments I've ever witnessed at Ashton Gate. Roberts winning goal will live long in the memory.

2. The atmosphere in the East End last season - the QPR and Plymouth games were outstanding for atmosphere. I'm sure they helped us win those games! (remember when WE sang "top of the league!"?!)

3. The Everton game - Premiership opposition matched and at times outclassed in an incredible game, almost matching the Hartlepool game for atmosphere.

Top 3 Lows

1. The Play-off Final - a disaster from start to utterly depressing finish.

2. QPR winning at Hillsborough on the last day of the season, rendering our result was meaningless.

3. Our current position in the league, way off the leaders and struggling to find even play off form.

All in all, one hell of an up and down year. Some incredible memories, some amazing games, outstanding atmosphere; and above all, bitter disappointment.

Life as a City fan, in other words!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

One Team

Top 3 Highs

1. The Hartlepool play-off semi final - the last 10 minutes were simply so of the best moments I've ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.  Roberts winning goal will live long in the memory.

One of my top lows strangely enough. I was so upset with DW's team selection for the first 80 minutes that I worked myself into such a sulk that I refused to get excited. I had my daughter screaming at me and generally hated the whole experience.

Even worse than that was turning up at the Mill. stad. and finding out the team selection was almost identical. I nearly walked out there and then, if I'd been on my own I think I would have... :@

Guest bristolbred

HIGH'S

1). Our winning run!!, which gave us hope and then came to nothing!!, :city:

2). When we were allowed to go in the East End, as there was at least an atmosphere to be pround of!!, ;)

3). Barnsley away, and Grimsby away last season, as the away following did City proud!!, :sub:

LOW'S

1). Wilson's sacking!!, a season too late??, we threw away some games to poor oposition in the latter half of last season!!, :laugh:

2). The games at home to Wycombe, and away at Swindle and Stockport during the latter half of last season!!, 9 points we wasted there, and that could of got us up automatically ahead of QPR!!, :D

3). The Squad!!, are we as strong, or stronger than last season??, because if we are, how come we are where we are in the league??, :yawn:

Penalties :yawn: giving them and missing them :D could of been so different :laugh:

LOW SPOT ;):sub::hug: having the EAST END :city: taken away, shame Messrs S.L AND C.S were`nt in there for Hartlepool; you don't know what you`re missing ;)

Guest Nice Tie Junior

No 1 highlight - a text message from bcfc saying that Wilson had been sacked.

No 2 highlight - sitting in Venice Airport during the play off final and not having to endure what you all had to endure.

No 3 highlight - Hartlepool away & home

No 1 low point - a mate calling me to tell me Tinnion was new new no. 1 and Millen new no. 2, and feeling like the club had yet again punched me in the face with a Volvo

No 2 low point - turning my phone on at Bristol International having just landed and receiving approx 30 text messages from friends, family and Gas Ed's telling me what had happened, then having to decide which text message to read that would be the truth and not a mate winding me up is quite difficult - thanks mum!

No 3 low point - The Hartlepool game and realising that I'd be in Venice and not in Cardiff.

High's and low's definatly come from the playoffs.

The semi final leg at the Gate, coming from behind to win so late, the pitch invasion and the atmosphere at the end. My all time favourite City match despite the poor football for the majority of the game.

As for the low, without doubt the final. Both games together kind of sum up what it's like to support City.

My Highest Moments-

The Play Off Semi-Final with Hartlepool, at Ashton Gate. The East End was once again buzzing and it was ultimately full of people who just wanted to sing!!!

The amount of banter was unbelievable and the atmosphere was possibly the greatest I've ever encountered. When the Monkey Boys goal went in, you could feel the tension and how everyone was thinking we would once again fail in our crusade for promotion.

As the game went on we became shoddier and didn’t look like a team who was going to score. Then a cross and up jumped the Marc Goodfellow to power a header into the top corner. Everyone went mental and the East End shook!

We had done it, salvaged the game!!! We finally had hope once again that we could win. We just had to hang on until extra-time…

But the City didn’t stop and we pushed for another goal in the dying minutes. Then Roberts got the ball, skinned a defender and rolled the ball into the back of the net!

The East End hordes surged towards the fence and celebrated!! People were taking shirts off, hugging unknown City fans and going mental!! The next few minutes for me were a blur, I just now that everyone went totally ballistic and mental!!!

Then the final whistle blew and we had done it!! We were on our way to Cardiff!!

Then the pitch invasion and conga lines, the hugging of players and kissing of the hold grass!!

Fantastic memories, one which will always stay with me…

And what did it mean??

Sweet F all. That was a fantastic moment when robbo scored , but the truth is he might as well have scored at the other end. :laugh:

Top 3 highs of 2004:

1: hartlepool , roberts goal , once again he was pretty much the only player who showed up in the playoffs.

2: Notts county away , goodfellow scoring in the last minute, tinnions 500th game. The atmosphere for just over 1000 people was fantastic , everyone was singing in the tunnels coming out the ground , never seen anything like that before!

3: Beating qpr at home , the gate was rocking when we scored , it was great getting one over on the cockey cockneys.

3 Biggest lows of 2004:

1 Playoff final- team selection was baffling and infuriating. And a gutless , passionless performance in our most important game in the last 6 years.

2:Qpr winning at hillsborough , the gate was like a morgue.

3: Lee miller's miss in the last minute at swindon. That would have made it 9 points out of 9 against qpr , swindon and plymouth , i think that would have given us the momentum we needed to get promotion. But i'm not going to blame lee for our failure , we had other chances we didnt take over the course of the season.

Archived