IGNORED

Oh Dear, Oh Dear...

SimplyRed

I haven't posted for a long while, but today's game was so poor I had to get it off my chest.

I have to say that today's performance was WORSE than the last ones against the Owls and the Hatters. At least in those games there was some organisation and some effort to play football. In fact, today's must rank as one of the worst of the season - a dull, boring affair.

Today was, without a doubt, a dreadful game and contained all the hallmarks that a poor game exhibits - no midfield to speak of, hopeless long balls to short frontmen, bizarre tactics, bizarre substitutions, poor passing, poor control, poor finishing - the list is long.

Defensively, we weren't bad (but not good!) and handled Hartlepool comfortably.

But we desperately needed an anchor man in midfield today - of the Doherty/Dinning variety. For long periods our midfield was non-existent and failed to do its most basic job of linking up play - a reason why more and more long balls appeared.

Tinnion overstayed his appearance and should have substituted himself instead of Wilkshire who was our most effective midfielder until then. How Orr got MoM was totally beyond me.

Lita has lost his form and needs to be rested - he is currently playing on his reputation and not his performances, yet when Miller came on, it was Heffernan who had to make way!

If memory serves, we have yet to see Hefferman play off a target man - a role many of his goals and reputation is based on.

Finally, can someone tell me why we have to wait EIGHTY MINUTES before the team starts to play with any URGENCY?

A typical 'christmas game' if you ask me where many players were still getting over the christmas lunch...

BAH! HUMBUG!

Today was, without a doubt, a dreadful game and contained all the hallmarks that a poor game exhibits - no midfield to speak of, hopeless long balls to short frontmen, ...

This is the bit that confuses me most of all. Whatever game you are playing, surely the best tactics are to play to your own strengths and your opponents' weakness? ... yet by knocking it long onto the heads of Westwood and Nelson we were doing the exact opposite!

I live for the day when an radio/TV interviewer puts the simple question "Why ... ?" instead of just giving the manager the chance to spin the line he wants us to read. Can anyone else out there explain why we are just hoofing it up when all it does is concede possession? (we don't win second ball either because central midfield doesn't get forward)

It was an extremely poor game.

I think Lita was extremely poor in linking up play/holding it up etc. but he does have the knack of putting the ball in the net. He had no service yesterday, and therefore no chances. I was going spare at the Luton game when he took off Brooker to leave Lita on; and then he scores that peach. Lita will always stay on, he is a goalscorer; harsh on others but a fact.

Tinnion has to be on the sideline. Partly because he is not as productive as he used to be and is also another yard slower; often leaving us exposed in midfield; but mainly becuase it leaves Millen in charge of subs/off-field tactics.

Millen is a major problem for me. I think our first signing should be an experienced coach, Millen is awful.

Archived