IGNORED

Oh How I Miss

cityfan

The last two seasons pace and flair that has deserted us. We have disappeared into the normality of a mid table team. No creativity, no passion, no flair, no inspiration and an apparent lack of determination to get out of this league.

However, the basic squad used for match days hasn't changed dramatically. Peacock was frequently injured, Roberts was 'robbed' of his first team place for most of last season, Carey getting forward and overlapping is missed as is some of Aaron Browns attacking flair (but none of his non existent defensive and support qualities). Without Butler we'd leak more goals and for me he has been our player of the season so far.

I would like to see us back in attacking mode with the ball on the grass (it helps), City in control and lots of runs being made for each other. Triangles creating link play, balls into space to run onto and the midfield much more co-hesive and supportive of the two front men. I'd like to see Tommy play a little further forward rather than deeper and sometimes I would like to see us play through the middle with the midfield doing overlap runs beyond the forwards for the return pass. This should be home and away.

However, when we play away to Luton, Hull, Tranmere and Sheffield Wednesday I would like to see 5 across the middle hopefully making it impossible for us to be broken down and then attack on the counter ensuring one of the chosen five has pace to re-create 4 4 2.

Last year we did have structure, belief, pace and aggression. I miss the pace, this was what set us apart from other teams and we did rip them to pieces. Murray is our only pace on the right of midfield and unfortunately Brooker, Miller, Heffernan and Leroy do not have the pace of strikers no longer with us. That leaves Gillespie who does have pace, but equally never plays. So our style of play has naturally changed as a result of these changing elements and we are no longer the mighty Bristol City that everyone selects each year as a near certainty to go up. We are now a rough and tumble team with a top goal scorer in Leroy, but we do not fight hard for each other and we do not possess that bit of extra quality that separated us from other teams.

We can go up based on performances like those against Tranmere and Hull, but certainly not based on yesterday and others.

The question this season is, 'which performance is the real Bristol City?

can't argue there, our past play has always been pace down

both flanks and full backs overlapping with wingers to whip

in crosses but we never had a decent target man or goal poacher

to get on the end of it, now we got 3 in lita, brooker and heffernan

but our wing play is a non event as we got wilkshire drifting in to

the middle and it leaves bell exposed on a counter attack and no support

going foward, we got murray who is a marked man now and marked out of

games so we need a outlet on the left, with big cluppy defenders as in

hartlepool, luton etc you need to get pace in behined them and split

the defence from the flanks by getting in behined them,

we no longer do this and i'm fed up with seeing

a bunched up midfield and ball hit straight to the opposition keeper and lita

and heffernan against hartlepool and in recent other games go looking down

the wings or the ball when it should be laid off to them from there.

shows how bad we are now on the left even murray had a run down the left

hand side going for goal :D what we are missing also is that long

ball! no not the long ball to the target man but THAT 40 yard wing ball

from midfield out to the wings over the top of the fullbacks head for murray

to run on to, thats where murray is dangerous, at the moment he is attacking

to deep.

tins look back to our promotion season under wardy with our

wing back system that was class and we got players at the

club who can reproduce that, but you got to play them.

Yeh feel the same all the way. It is as though we have tried to completely change our style of play and in doing so lost any of the flair and skill we had in the game last year. I much preferred it when we looked dangerous running at people rather than waiting for a defenders mistake in the air to let us in. With Freezer back i hope tinman drops murray and gives us some decent pace on either side with gillespie and freezer. My starting 11

Phillips

Coles Butler Hill

Gillespie Dinning The Doc Wilkshire Freezer

Brooker Heffernan

can't argue there, our past play has always been pace down

both flanks and full backs overlapping with wingers to whip

in crosses but we never had a decent target man or goal poacher

to get on the end of it, now we got 3 in lita, brooker and heffernan

but our wing play is a non event as we got wilkshire drifting in to

the middle and it leaves bell exposed on a counter attack and no support

going foward, we got murray who is a marked man now and marked out of

games so we need a outlet on the left, with big cluppy defenders as in

hartlepool, luton etc you need to get pace in behined them and split

the defence from the flanks by getting in behined them,

we no longer do this and i'm fed up with seeing

a bunched up midfield and ball hit straight to the opposition keeper and lita

and heffernan against hartlepool and in recent other games go looking down

the wings or the ball when it should be laid off to them from there.

shows how bad we are now on the left even murray had a run down the left

hand side going for goal  :D what we are missing also is that long

ball! no not the long ball to the target man but THAT 40 yard wing ball

from midfield out to the wings over the top of the fullbacks head for murray

to run on to, thats where murray is dangerous, at the moment he is attacking

to deep.

tins look back to our promotion season under wardy with our

wing back system that was class and we got players at the

club who can reproduce that, but you got to play them.

sideways backwards sidewasys forward sideways backwa rds sideways backwards sideways sideways backward...

you to can learn the new city dance:ph34r:

sideways backwards sidewasys forward sideways backwa  rds sideways backwards sideways sideways backward...

you to can learn the new city dance:ph34r:

yeah to true that is how we play, it looks pretty but

goes nowhere, you play like that when 3-0 up and with

the last 15minutes to go to keep the ball.

sideways backwards sidewasys forward sideways backwards

sideways backwards sideways sideways backward

The last two seasons pace and flair that has deserted us.  We have disappeared into the normality of a mid table team.  No creativity, no passion, no flair, no inspiration and an apparent lack of determination to get out of this league.

However, the basic squad used for match days hasn't changed dramatically.  Peacock was frequently injured, Roberts was 'robbed' of his first team place for most of last season, Carey getting forward and overlapping is missed as is some of Aaron Browns attacking flair (but none of his non existent defensive and support qualities).  Without Butler we'd leak more goals and for me he has been our player of the season so far.

I would like to see us back in attacking mode with the ball on the grass (it helps), City in control and lots of runs being made for each other.  Triangles creating link play, balls into space to run onto and the midfield much more co-hesive and supportive of the two front men.  I'd like to see Tommy play a little further forward rather than deeper and sometimes I would like to see us play through the middle with the midfield doing overlap runs beyond the forwards for the return pass.  This should be home and away. 

However, when we play away to Luton, Hull, Tranmere and Sheffield Wednesday I would like to see 5 across the middle hopefully making it impossible for us to be broken down and then attack on the counter ensuring one of the chosen five has pace to re-create 4 4 2.

Last year we did have structure, belief, pace and aggression.  I miss the pace, this was what set us apart from other teams and we did rip them to pieces.  Murray is our only pace on the right of midfield and unfortunately Brooker, Miller, Heffernan and Leroy do not have the pace of strikers no longer with us.  That leaves Gillespie who does have pace, but equally never plays.  So our style of play has naturally changed as a result of these changing elements and we are no longer the mighty Bristol City that everyone selects each year as a near certainty to go up.  We are now a rough and tumble team with a top goal scorer in Leroy, but we do not fight hard for each other and we do not possess that bit of extra quality that separated us from other teams.

We can go up based on performances like those against Tranmere and Hull, but certainly not based on yesterday and others. 

The question this season is, 'which performance is the real Bristol City?

City are incredibly dull and predictable at the moment. There's little flair or pace and even less excitement about our play.

You don't actually state it in your post but reading between the lines i don't think i'd be too far off the mark in thinking you'd welcome the sight of Christian Roberts back in a City shirt.

If that were to be the case i'd thoroughly agree with you.

I've 'got over' his departure (Well, i've had to haven't i)but i still think it's one of the worst sales i can ever remember.

We've crammed the team with anonymous workhorses and the entertainment value has plummetted. Can any of the newcomers actually beat a man and run with the ball? Now it looks certain another of City's pacey, unpredictable, potential matchwinners will be shown the door as well.

This was promised to be a season of attacking entertainment, yet without either of these two spark players the team has rarely looked so uninspired and ponderous.

City got the three home points today but the entertainment value was pitiful again and New Years Day crowd figure of less than 11,000 tells it's own story. The floating fans have been bored silly. Why not take off Orr or Dinning, move Wilkshire into the middle, bring on Goodfellow and really go at Peterborough for the last 20 minutes?

Darn shame Roberts isn't just on loan somewhere, most people i know would recall him tomorrow.

City are incredibly dull and predictable at the moment. There's little flair or pace and even less excitement about our play.

You don't actually state it in your post but reading between the lines i don't think i'd be too far off the mark in thinking you'd welcome the sight of Christian Roberts back in a City shirt.

If that were to be the case i'd thoroughly agree with you.

I've 'got over' his departure (Well, i've had to haven't i)but i still think it's one of the worst sales i can ever remember.

We've crammed the team with anonymous workhorses and the entertainment value has plummetted. Can any of the newcomers actually beat a man and run with the ball? Now it looks certain another of City's pacey, unpredictable, potential matchwinners will be shown the door as well.

This was promised to be a season of attacking entertainment, yet without either of these two spark players the team has rarely looked so uninspired and ponderous.

City got the three home points today but the entertainment value was pitiful again and New Years Day crowd figure of less than 11,000 tells it's own story. The floating fans have been bored silly. Why not take off Orr or Dinning, move Wilkshire into the middle, bring on Goodfellow and really go at Peterborough for the last 20 minutes?

Darn shame Roberts isn't just on loan somewhere, most people i know would recall him tomorrow.

Yeah I too miss some of the attacking flair and controlled and direct passing we showed last season.

Then again all is not lost as yet,we have the players to perform,it just needs one or two changes.

I thoroughly agree with you about giving Goodfellow a run,strange situation 'innit.

I wouldn't like to see Roberts back in a City shirt,so far the highlight of my season is him leaving,as for getting over him,get over it,and most people I know don't want him back tomorrow,the day after, or ever.

He'll probably be on loan soon at Swindle now they've signed another striker,can't be that good then can he.

If I read between the lines correctly as it's in bold I think we are missing Carey,with his support of Murray and his attacking runs and shots on goal compared to Smith.

Yeah I too miss some of the attacking flair and controlled and direct passing we showed last season.

Then again all is not lost as yet,we have the players to perform,it just needs one or two changes.

I thoroughly agree with you about giving Goodfellow a run,strange situation 'innit.

I wouldn't like to see Roberts back in a City shirt,so far the highlight of my season is him leaving,as for getting over him,get over it,and most people I know don't want him back tomorrow,the day after, or ever.

He'll probably be on loan soon at Swindle now they've signed another striker,can't be that good then can he.

If I read between the lines correctly as it's in bold I think we are missing Carey,with his support of Murray and his attacking runs and shots on goal compared to Smith.

As i said, i have got over it.

Problem is performances like todays make me realise how much we miss someone like Roberts.

The crowd is bored, the play is uninspired and sterile and there is no prospect ( Goodfellow apart) of anyone coming off the bench and doing something extraordinary - like entertaining us!

To my mind Tinman's squad changes, and this includes the departure of Roberts, have made a visit to Ashton Gate far less interesting.

Obviously i don't expect Roberts to return but i hope Goodfellow does stay and also Tinman's next signing is the calibre of player who excites the crowd ( a character) because at the moment we're turning into a team of ponderous journeymen. Do you hear many fans heatedly debating Smith, Dinning or Orr? No, nor me.

You might be glad Roberts has gone but a pitiful New Year's Day crowd of less than 11,000 should tell you that many fans don't feel there's sufficient entertainment value at Ashton Gate at the moment.

As i said, i have got over it.

Problem is performances like todays make me realise how much we miss someone like Roberts.

The crowd is bored, the play is uninspired and sterile and there is no prospect ( Goodfellow apart) of anyone coming off the bench and doing something extraordinary - like entertaining us!

To my mind Tinman's squad changes, and this includes the departure of Roberts, have made a visit to Ashton Gate far less interesting.

Obviously i don't expect Roberts to return but i hope Goodfellow does stay and also Tinman's next signing is the calibre of player who excites the crowd ( a character) because at the moment we're turning into a team of ponderous journeymen. Do you hear many fans heatedly debating Smith, Dinning or Orr? No, nor me.

You might be glad Roberts has gone but a pitiful New Year's Day crowd of less than 11,000 should tell you that many fans don't feel there's sufficient entertainment value at Ashton Gate at the moment.

OK,so you've got over him,but you still miss him,no crime in that,if you thought he was the dogs doofers not a problem,your opinion.

The only time you're likely to see him down the gate is on the city shop window I reckon(why is he still there-must be good glue).

You are right,crowds love entertaining players but they have to be consistent and perform to the betterment of the team.

Last season at about the same time 28/12/03,we were 3rd,had a home crowd of 13,807,and won 2-0 with goals from Lee Peacock and Aaron Brown.

Actually,quite miss Brown's pace and skill,Peacock's been bettered by Lita and the new men.

Being 3rd could account for 2000 fans extra no problem,also up until that point Roberts had scored 2 goals,not great entertainment in 18 starts + 12 sub appearances.

Hopefully a couple more wins and crowds might pick up,but as a season ticket holder,I'll be there whatever.

Oh how I miss the old days.

OK,so you've got over him,but you still miss him,no crime in that,if you thought he was the dogs doofers not a problem,your opinion.

The only time you're likely to see him down the gate is on the city shop window I reckon(why is he still there-must be good glue).

You are right,crowds love entertaining players but they have to be consistent and perform to the betterment of the team.

Last season at about the same time 28/12/03,we were 3rd,had a home crowd of 13,807,and won 2-0 with goals from Lee Peacock and Aaron Brown.

Actually,quite miss Brown's pace and skill,Peacock's been bettered by Lita and the new men.

Being 3rd could account for 2000 fans extra no problem,also up until that point Roberts had scored 2 goals,not great entertainment in 18 starts + 12 sub appearances.

Hopefully a couple more wins and crowds might pick up,but as a season ticket holder,I'll be there whatever.

Oh how I miss the old days.

There seems to be an acceptance amongst City fans that after years of just missing out, we'll put up with anything just to get out of this division. The end would justify the means.

Looked back on at after the end of a promotion season this may be acceptable but week by week these unentertaining displays are hard going. Personally i want to be entertained every time i go to Ashton Gate and if this leads to promotion that's an added bonus. It's definitely NOT the be all and end all.

2,000 extra fans at our level is a massive difference and i'm in no doubt they'd have been there if the product was consistently better even if the results had been similar. We simply don't have the players this season, or the style of football we were promised, to make a trip to Ashton Gate an exciting option for the floaters. Roberts, for instance, admittedly split the fans but at least something was always likely to happen when he was on the pitch.

I'm a season ticket holder too and i'll be there whatever as well, but it's not long time City fanatic season ticket holders like you and me who swell holiday crowds and obviously thousands of part timers decided there was more chance of an entertaining afternoon elsewhere.

Quite simply we've not replaced Brown on the left or Carey on the right and we are a weaker team as a result.

Wilkshire is a good passer of the ball and (this season) he's started to weigh in with the odd goal. But he's not a threat charging down the wing as Brown was, leaving Murray with all the 'wing-work' to do (and extra attention from defenders).

Smith seems to be an average right-back, but doesnt have any attacking instincts.

So, what can we do about this ?

One solution would be to play Goodfellow on the left and Amankwaah on the right. That would imediately make us better going forward, but that would make us even more light-weight defensively. And one of our biggest problems this season has been letting in soft goals.

And if you played wing-backs, who would you choose ?

Freezer and Murray cant defend, Gillespie would be hopelessly out of position and Woodman is out on loan all season.

I think Amankwaah and Bell would be the best candidates, but they are hardly a perfect solution.

One more point though. Something Ward and Wilson (eventually) drummed into the team was a bit of discipline and organisation. You felt more secure when the opposition attacked because we knew what we were doing in defence. There was less panic and less confusion and we looked far more solid as a result. Luton are showing us this season what Plymouth showed us last season... If you can have a disciplined, organised side, you don't need loads of flair players.

We have the players alright, attacking football, ok, Phillips, Orr-Coles-Golbourne, Scott Brown-Wilkshire-Docherty-Anyinsah, Brooker-Gillespie-Heffernan. Subs: Smith, Harley, Cotterill, Lita, Dinning. As a 3-4-3.Let that team loose and watch the excitement. Even better with Nelson at the back if we do sell Hill or Coles. Doc and Nelson = no compromise.

My initial post was really stating that

1) We do not appear to be solid

2) Flair is required to breakdown teams as well as entertain the crowd.

3) I wouldn't have let go, if possible, Roberts and Carey

I agree that we are a team of battlers and that does not make for a threatening force in this division, not does it make for entertainment. Yes I want us to go up, but yes I want my weekends watching City to be exciting and fun (most of them at least) Football is an entertainment spectacle that takes us away from our Monday-Friday. This is why Sky Sports is so popular! CLubs need to remember this as the fan base is their life blood.

Howver, football is a business and short term career for most players.

We are not a better team this year than we were in the previous two.

And the stats porve that to be the case.

Tony Butler is still my Player of the season year to date.

Leroys done great with his contribution so far.

But we miss the speed and the variety in our game that always threatened teams in this division.

We could catch 1 & 2 in the league. Definately possible. But for me it will be a play-off place at best.

• Admin
The last two seasons pace and flair that has deserted us. 

I can't recall much flair in the dour performances last season, in fact it was Wilsons negative tactics that helped to cement my decision to do something else when City are away, rather than travel around the country, only to be bored senseless.

Archived