IGNORED

Academy And Hill

bs3

I would just like to put the record straight with regards to Matt Hill and the academy. Matt Hill was not a product of the academy he came through our youth system before the academy was set up, the same goes for Tommy D, Coles, Aron Brown. I can not recall a player who have came through the academy.

We spend 1 million pounds a year on the academy, would this money be better spent on new players.

Spending this amount a year on the academy we should see a least one player a season coming through and making an impact on the first team.

I would just like to put the record straight with regards to Matt Hill and the academy.  Matt Hill was not a product of the academy he came through our youth system before the academy was set up, the same goes for Tommy D, Coles, Aron Brown. I  can not recall a player who have came through the academy.

We spend 1 million pounds a year on the academy, would this money be better spent on new players.

Spending this amount a year on the academy we should see a least one player a season coming through and making an impact on the first team.

Umm actually matt Hill spend his last two years in the academy set up. As did Coles.

The academy costs us £600,000. What it brings us is not really measurable in monetary terms so we can't really talk about it's profitability in clear terms.

Yes we should see one player a year who makes an impact.

Probably not. It'd more likely go into financing several Mark Levers.

Spending the amount we do on transfers we should see all new signings making an impact on the first team. Instead we have Heffernan, Goodfellow and Miller either warming the bench or in the reserves. Could this money be better spent improving the Academy set up? :P

I would just like to put the record straight with regards to Matt Hill and the academy. 

Really? ...

Matt Hill was not a product of the academy

Wrong

the same goes for Tommy D, Coles, Aron Brown.

Wrong (except for Tommy who was too old when the academy was founded anyway)

I  can not recall a player who have came through the academy.

Bit ambitious of you to try and put the record straight then!

We spend 1 million pounds a year on the academy,

Wrong

Spending <less than> this amount a year on the academy we should see a least one player a season coming through and making an impact on the first team.

We do ... in its 7th season, so far 17 academy graduates have made first team starts and seven of those have made the impact of over 50 apps each (I won't list them all because you'll remember it better if you do your own research)

Next!

Matt Hill made is first apperance for City in 1998 the same year as the academy was set up. He was found and devloped by city when we had the old youth set up the same goes for brown and coles. These players would have been at City regardless of an academy or not. Has for a million pounds a year this was the some of money bounding around in the local media of the years if I am wrong I stand corrected on that one.

Lets go back four years, in the last four years name a city player who have come through our academy,please don't say Lita he arrived via Chelsea.

Lets go back four years, in the last four years name a city player who have come through our academy,please don't say Lita he arrived via Chelsea.

Danny Coles? Liam Rosenior? Kevin Amankwaah?

Leroy Lita counts because he joined our academy and we couldn't have got him at the exit trials without having one.

You can't expect the players who have been at the academy for their entire footballing lives to be in the first team, because they're all still too young. There are plenty of promising players coming through - my concern is what we do with them when they make it, as so far the players who come through seem to stall in their progress when they reach the first team.

Matt Hill made is first apperance for City in 1998 the same year as the academy was set up. He was found and devloped by city when we had the old youth set up the same goes for brown and coles. These players would have been at City regardless of an academy or not. Has for a million pounds a year this was the some of money bounding around in the local media of the years if I am wrong I stand corrected on that one.

Matt was educated by the academy. He was in the first crop of players to go to do his A levels as part of the academy. I Know this for a FACT!

Matt Hill made is first apperance for City in 1998 the same year as the academy was set up.

Correct - that is, when he was an U/18, i.e. in the first of the two years he had as an academy scholar.

He was found and devloped by city when we had the old youth set up the same goes for brown and coles.

So what? - the academy could not have found and developed players before its own foundation could it? What it could and did do was include players who were already on the club's books in selecting its first intake, they would have been fools not to!

These players would have been at City regardless of an academy or not.

Quite possibly but the better players from every succeeding year would not, because they would have been snapped up by the likes of Saints, Reading and latterly Cardiff.

Has for a million pounds a year this was the some of money bounding around in the local media of the years if I am wrong I stand corrected on that one.

SteveL has quoted much lower figures in both Gatepost and in answer to questions on his forum.

Leroy Lita was released by Chelsea as a schoolboy then asked City for a trial when he was an U/17. He came on at half-time in a friendly with Cwmbran, scored all the goals in 5-nil win and was promptly offered an academy scholarship. In short, he was a scholar for the maximum three years with City and was never a scholar with any other academy.

Eleven of the 17 graduates I mentioned earlier who have made first team starts did so in the last four seasons (including this one) ... again, I think it best you make the effort to find their names for yourself.

Archived