IGNORED

Maguire!

Slave to the rhythm

Was it? Thanks for telling me, but I've got a mind of my own so I'll make my own decisions.

He made an announcment that he could get £30 million while on holiday in a foreign country. He hasn't got £30 million, its all invested in his companies.

I wouldn't want his money anyway. He isn't a true supporter and is only interested in the money.

Look at Baadiff and other teams that have had large amounts of money invested in them, it doesn't always work.

And do you expect we can buy promotion this season or something?

Maguire never had any money or any rich mates. He had the sort of contacts any IFA has, and our current board are far better connected in monied circles and haven't seen people queuing up to give away millions.

He was full of poo, a bigmouthed idiot who just wanted his day in the press. Did you read the sub-par GCSE E grade paper he put together? Why do you think we've heard nothing since?

Nibor

I think buying some quality players now (not the usual lower division rubbish we make a habit of buying) would give us a very good chance of going up through the play offs. But...............it isn't going to happen.

Where do you suggest we buy the players from then, the premiership? and what makes you think these quality players will want to come to a 3rd division club? wake up!

Where do you suggest we buy the players from then, the premiership? and what makes you think these quality players will want to come to a 3rd division club? wake up!

Blimey, no need to be so aggressive. I am simply making the point that IF somebody came along with a big stack of money (which they won't) then we would be in a position to buy some DECENT players for a change and that would give us a good chance of getting through the playoffs and then surviving in the league above us.

Remember when Fayed took over Fulham in 1997? They were playing football at the same level as we are now. And yet they tempted quality players like Chris Coleman and Paul Peschisolido to play for them because they were able to pay them the sort of money they were looking for. And where are Fulham now? Ah yes, they are in their third season in the Premiership. And where are we now? Exactly the same place that we were back in 1997.

The simple fact is that money talks in football, and we just don't have enough of it to attract the sort of players who would actually make a difference to us.

We already have one of the richest board's in English League Football and we have consistently spent money over the past few years.

Funnily enough argueably our most successful season in recent memory (2002/03) when we scored over 100 goals, finished 3rd and won the LDV was a season in which Wilson was given nothing to spend.

Money is not neccessarily the answer.

EDIT - Maguire is indeed a Swindon Town supporting person as well.

We already have one of the richest board's in English League Football and we have consistently spent money over the past few years.

Funnily enough argueably our most successful season in recent memory (2002/03) when we scored over 100 goals, finished 3rd and won the LDV was a season in which Wilson was given nothing to spend.

Money is not neccessarily the answer.

I think you misunderstand me. My main point is that I want to see my club bidding for players like Nathan Ellington and not Steve Brooker (no offence intended to Steve, by the way). I don't care about the LDV, I want us to be serious contenders for a trophy which actually matters.

I want this club to be bidding for players who will excite us and make us actually WANT to go down to Ashton Gate again. Many of us are attending matches because of a combination of loyalty and duty at the moment, but we aren't expecting to be entertained any more. That is a sad state of affairs and is indicative of a club which is in serious decline.

Transforming this club will take money, serious money. If the present board have got it then let's see it. If they haven't got it or they don't want to spend it then that's fair enough. I just hope that, one day, somebody comes along who WILL have the sort of money which will make our club worth watching again.

I think you misunderstand me. My main point is that I want to see my club bidding for players like Nathan Ellington and not Steve Brooker (no offence intended to Steve, by the way). I don't care about the LDV, I want us to be serious contenders for a trophy which actually matters.

I want this club to be bidding for players who will excite us and make us actually WANT to go down to Ashton Gate again. Many of us are attending matches because of a combination of loyalty and duty at the moment, but we aren't expecting to be entertained any more. That is a sad state of affairs and is indicative of a club which is in serious decline.

Transforming this club will take money, serious money. If the present board have got it then let's see it. If they haven't got it or they don't want to spend it then that's fair enough. I just hope that, one day, somebody comes along who WILL have the sort of money which will make our club worth watching again.

I agree with the sentiment but you have to balance that against the risks, which are that the huge borrowing would cripple the club should the sugar daddy ever walk away. Even people like Abramovich aren't actually giving money to the club, they're underwriting vast loans and then periodically paying them off through investment. Once they get bored, we're stuck with whatever they haven't paid off, not to mention a huge salary bill.

When SamH gets bored with Cardiff (probably very soon if they're relegated) they'll find that the money they've spent in the last 3 years is actually owed to several quite shadey banks... it will make 1982 look like a walk in the park.

I think we're on the verge of seeing some of the things you and many others want, but the board aren't willing to make big investment without having an income that supports the large part of it (ie being in the first division so we can pay most of the salaries without debt). It's a fine line because as we've seen getting there without spending huge amounts of money doesn't appear to be something we're very good at.

Nibor.

I think we're on the verge of seeing some of the things you and many others want.....

I really wish I could agree with you, but I don't. We aren't on the verge of anything positive as far as I can see. Are we soon going to be buying genuinely talented and exciting players who will make us (and thousands like us) flock down to Ashton Gate? No, I don't think so either.

I really wish I could agree with you, but I don't. We aren't on the verge of anything positive as far as I can see. Are we soon going to be buying genuinely talented and exciting players who will make us (and thousands like us) flock down to Ashton Gate? No, I don't think so either.

I think we will IF we get promoted, after all they put alot of money in last time we went up it was just badly spent in the main. Whether we can get promoted without splashing the cash remains to be seen :dunno:

Blimey, no need to be so aggressive. I am simply making the point that IF somebody came along with a big stack of money (which they won't) then we would be in a position to buy some DECENT players for a change and that would give us a good chance of getting through the playoffs and then surviving in the league above us.

Remember when Fayed took over Fulham in 1997? They were playing football at the same level as we are now. And yet they tempted quality players like Chris Coleman and Paul Peschisolido to play for them because they were able to pay them the sort of money they were looking for. And where are Fulham now? Ah yes, they are in their third season in the Premiership. And where are we now? Exactly the same place that we were back in 1997.

The simple fact is that money talks in football, and we just don't have enough of it to attract the sort of players who would actually make a difference to us.

Look at how much money we spent at the same sort of time on players like Thorpe and BO andersson. didn't do us much good.

p.s Have just given up smoking and i'm a bit Grouchy to say the least! :dunno:

You don't want a huge stack of money to be invested in the club? You are content to exist in this ###thole of a division forever? Fair enough, your choice.

yes the money would be great but we don't want to

go the way cardiff city went.big backer comes in,

spends loads of money = cardiff city are in huge

debt.we need someone who is a bristol city fan,

who will not ruin the club he loves.

unfortunately not a lot of people have enough

money to throw away at clubs.you don't see a

profit.

• Admin

If City ever get a Jack Walker figure, I'll welcome the financial input, as I understand it the money he ploughed into Blackburn was, in simple terms, money donated. Not a loan, not an investment, just an old man spending his money on realising a dream.

My knowledge on Blackburn's finances is only gleand from Radio 5 and the odd newspaper article, but its my understanding that he has left a trust fund in his will, with strict conditions on how its spent.

I never, EVER, want to go through the mental anguish that was 1982 again, for that I applaud our current boards efforts, to run City at breakeven would be a bonus and I wish them well in trying to achieve it.

Archived