IGNORED

Soccer Night

elko

How poo is this program? Why not just show the football?

I've just seen the most appaling television ever ('This interview was ruined by clocks' :Sleep12: ). Why try to be funny? I'm sure anyone who watches this doesn't watch it for laughs.

Anyone else agree that Soccer Night is basically crap?

Its only about the second time i've seen it but i thought it was bloody superb.

Basically they know the're screwed as they've got half an hour to show highlights from 4 teams games 4 days earlier so their attitude is sod it lets just take the (Am I naughty or what!) instead. Jed's supping a pint and there werent much left in that bottle of wine either.

The piece about Leroy trying to claim countless goals that arent his was a classic.

Yeah if they had an hour on a sunday afternoon they'd show a lot of football but they haven't so they've gone down a different route and fair play to them.

You thought it was funny? I felt deeply embarrassed and ashamed when I saw that, is that honestly what you woul rather watch than football?

Maybe classics a bit much but it was mildly amusing.

As for feeling deeply embarrassed and ashamed - if thats they way you felt fair enough but i think thats a little over the top - its just a tv program after all!!

I'm not really over interested in watching the gas or yeovil at all - swindon a bit more but only as there in our division.

I was at the peterborough game and listened to hudders on the radio and seen the goals on sky and more highlights on world - so i'm not over bothered about watching us again either.

Ultimately they have four teams to cover - with games that are almost 'old news' as they've been disected to death already on here and in the media and pubs etc...

They cant really do a lot with the slot the idiots at itv have given them so they've taken a different direction and good luck to them - nice to see a bit of humour about football these days.

Maybe classics a bit much but it was mildly amusing.

As for feeling deeply embarrassed and ashamed - if thats they way you felt fair enough but i think thats a little over the top - its just a tv program after all!!

I'm not really over interested in watching the gas or yeovil at all - swindon a bit more but only as there in our division.

I was at the peterborough game and listened to hudders on the radio and seen the goals on sky and more highlights on world - so i'm not over bothered about watching us again either.

Ultimately they have four teams to cover - with games that are almost 'old news' as they've been disected to death already on here and in the media and pubs etc...

They cant really do a lot with the slot the idiots at itv have given them so they've taken a different direction and good luck to them - nice to see a bit of humour about football these days.

I've only seen it a twice, once (by choice) after which I decided it was dog doo doo. The second time it was just on, and I happened to be around.

The things that struck me when I saw it was, perhaps it's changed.

Why make it a review show of last weekend? asking drab questions to equally drab guests like Mr Osman.

Why not use the half hour to be more of a preview show on forthcoming games?

And who designed the set? Awful.

How poo is this program? Why not just show the football?

I've just seen the most appaling television ever ('This interview was ruined by clocks'  :Sleep12: ). Why try to be funny? I'm sure anyone who watches this doesn't watch it for laughs.

Anyone else agree that Soccer Night is basically crap?

I have to agree. It was appalling. The 'Row Z' section was toe-curling (a 'Mike Hunt' gag being typical of the fare on offer).

However, the low point for me (and there was a wide range to choose from) was Jed Pitman's awful reference to the horrendous injuries sustained by Tony Butler.

Pitman opened with the comment, "Tony Butler was injured following a serious injury in the tunnel. And no, I'm not talking about the sort of thing that goes on in Brighton."

This was followed with "exclusive pictures of Tony's injuries", which was depicted by some old black and white footage of a gurning competition. Yes, someone is hospitalised by a possible assault and they make a joke of it. Hilarious.

Frankly, Jed Pitman should be sacked and the show given to someone who has an ounce of professionalism in their body.

I've not seen the show, and from what I've read on here I'm not going to bother either. It seems like they are trying to recreate a Fanzine type thing on TV and are failing miserabily?

As for not being able to cram highlights into 30 mins,they used to manage before didn't they on a Sunday afternoon, or was it an hour? All they need to show are the goals, obviously that varies week by week, and a quick mention of the next match, transfers, injuries etc. The local news manages to do this in about 5 mins, so 25 mins (if you take out the ad breaks)should be adequate if used properly?

I agree coverage should be better. If I didn't have the internet, Sky etc, for info about this Club, and relied on only what was shown on ITV, I'd have even less of a clue than I like to think I have! :city::city:

Congratulations to anyone who can make any sense of the last sentence, as usual I know what I want to say and can't quite get it right. :city:

I wrote to complain about the show a few weeks ago. As the father of a disabled child, i found the attempts at "playground humour" in one particular show deeply offensive.

I was assured by Jed that the vast majority of feedback about the show is positive. Yeah right.

I'm with Madmax on this. I saw one and never tuned in again.

This should be a pinned topic! Has a Thursday Night/Friday morning went by this season without a "Sports Night is rubbish" post?

Damn that remote control being on the other side of the room.

If people don't watch it, the programme could disappear completely, which surely isn't what anyone wants.

The people involved in the rubbish served up last night clearly read this forum, as they used it for some of their 'content' last night. So this is a perfectly good place to discuss the show.

Anyway, if your attitude is to watch something once and, if it's crap, never bother again. How come you still go to Swindon?

Anyway, if your attitude is to watch something once and, if it's crap, never bother again. How come you still go to Swindon?

C'mon Edson, that's all petty, narrow minded and frankly I am not the only person with this opinion on this show! ... If people want to watch it, fair enough. IN MY OPINION its utter rubbish and you can't make me tune in at a stupid time to watch embarressing television like that just because it's local football... I'll watch it on Sky Sports News. I used to happily watch the highlights on a Sunday afternoon. But why should I watch poorly produced shows? :city:

There's a bit of a difference between television and football... Plus I've being watching Swindon for 15 years and I've seen more good than bad. :city: That's the honest truth!!!!

I fail to believe anyone thinks it's a good programme or that they have actually received any positive feedback on it.

Between 1999 and 2001 I lived away from Bristol for the only time in my life (in the Midlands), and I was immediately struck by the vastly superior local football coverage both on the BBC and on ITV up there.

The standards both in written journalism and on TV and radio locally are simply appalling, I've seen local coverage that has given out wrong scores, got player's names wrong and with factual errors about the teams in our region, let alone their opponents.

Some of this is probably down to the rapid turnover in staff who use their time in this part of the world as a stepping stone to greater things (Alistair Bruce-Ball from Radio Bristol to 5 Live for instance).

Those left behind are invariably second rate at best, the WDP match summarisers, Jed Pitman, people on Radio Bristol like the guy who does the Rovers commenatries occasionally (Mike Kay?) who cannot even form a coherent sentence.

I accept that we are by no means an area where football is as big as elsewhere in the country but an opportunity to produce a decent service is in the main being completely missed.

Archived