IGNORED

Working Of The Academies.

graham b

My understanding of the eductaional side of the BCFC Academy is that it does not in fact occur until you are post 16 (after GCSEs). Boys (I wonder if girls will ever join?) would complete their education in their school of choice until GCSE level and after that (if selected) would join the Academy.

This would probably not affect the places available to BCFC students as after 16, most pupils go to college; rather than staying on at school; thus allowing the 25+/- (a guess) starlets a year into a post 16 education.

Boys (I wonder if girls will ever join?) would complete their education in their school of choice until GCSE level and after that (if selected) would join the Academy.

..... but if you were the acknowledged next Wayne Rooney living in say Portishead would you be able to join the St George Academy at 11?

Incidentally, I understand that some players in the City womens side are members of the BCFC Academy already.

..... but if you were the acknowledged next Wayne Rooney living in say Portishead would you be able to join the St George Academy at 11?

Incidentally, I understand that some players in the City womens side are members of the BCFC Academy already.

Yes, as the St.George Academy (or City Academy as it is supposed to be known) can, additionally to their pupil intake from geographical residency; take a percentage of their pupils on something like a sports scholarship for entrance.

So not officially a part of BCFC, but the links are clearly there. The whole City Academy set up will interesting to follow in the next couple of years; fingers crossed it turns out something like Ajax for BCFC! :city:

A similar thing is happening with teh link-up between Rovers/Filton High/Filton College.  They are building a huge indoor astroturf pitch, about 12 outside 5 a side astroturf pitches and a 500+ seater indoor sportshall.

Do you know when that is due for completion?

Of the original list of questions.

Number 2 - I believe it should be next season. The link up at Abbots Leigh is meant to downsize then. Though I am interested to know if the match pitches are going to be good enough.

Number 6 - They can choose what they want to do. In the first crop of academics ie Matt Hill and Joe Burnell, they chose a range of subjects and I believe this has continued from then on. Also it may be interesting to know that a number of the rejected youths have gone onto university so haven't had to go for football or bust type scenarios.

It's a shame this thread hasn't received more attention.

GB's questions cover St.George's very well, mine (below) focus more on the ongoing workings of the academy programme and our relationship with those running the scheme (is that the FA or the Premier League?):

1) According to the information on the official website our only academy outposts these days are at Chew Valley and Shepton Mallet - what happened to Taunton, Weston SM and Lydney? Are there plans for any others to ensure the academy's baseline objective remains to capture the best prospects throughout the South West?

2) As a non-Premier League team running an academy, we naturally expect to have a large number of young professionals in the intermediate years between academy and regular professional; their ongoing development needs would be best served by regular reserve team (or U/21) football as a back-up to short runs in the first team ... why then, as an FA Premier Academy, signed-up to the cost of providing the same level of coaching and education as all the other licenced clubs are we and (some) other non-Premiership clubs excluded from the Barclays Premiership Reserve League? (is there a restraint of trade argument here? Oh and by the way, on initialising the academy scheme Bristol was specifically designated by the FA as an area which should have an academy ... why all the obstacles thrown up against us now?)

Specifically, how come the reserve teams of Watford, Coventry, West Ham, Leicester, Derby, Ipswich, Wolves, Leeds, Notingham Forest and Sunderland are able to compete with the second-strings of current Prem teams whereas our's is not? ... neither are those of Millwall, Reading, Cardiff, MK Dons, Crewe, Stoke, Barnsley, Sheff Weds, Sheff Utd and Huddersfield ... surely it is obvious that the Barlays Prem Reserve League should have a top division comprising the reserve teams of those currently in the Prem and a second division of non-Prem clubs who run an academy? If the first team is relegated from the Prem so is their development XI in the rezzies' league - simple.

3) What, if anything, has been done to pursue links with professional clubs in Bristol's twin cities, e.g. Porto, Bordeaux, with a view to staging tournament(s) to address this year's shortfall of U/21 fixtures? (it would do no harm to the scouting network either)

Archived