IGNORED

Academians Leaving

Maesknoll Red

Guest ashtonyate

This what i have been saying for a long time now. If Palice cant hold on to its best players what hope have we got. It is silly for city to waste their money to bring on local talent for them to go other clubs for peanuts

• Admin
This what i have been saying for a long time now. If Palice cant hold on to its best players what hope have we got. It is silly for city to waste their money to bring on local talent for them to go  other clubs for peanuts

But someone has to train the young players, who do you suggest does it if everyone had your attitude?

I'm an Engineer, but its getting increasingly difficult to find staff, due to the fact that apprenticeships have all but disappeared, with your reasoning football will go the same way.

Guest ashtonyate

No its up to the F A or Fifa to make sure that the producing clubs get there reward for producing young talent.With rules it could work. Lita I think will leave very cheaply.In your trade the firms stop offering apprentictships a long time a go because of all the red tape of taking on young people

• Admin
No its up to the F A or Fifa to make sure that the producing clubs get there reward for producing young talent.With rules it could work. Lita I think will leave very cheaply.In your trade the firms stop offering apprentictships a long time a go because of all the red tape of taking on young people

So, if the compensation was set at correct levels, with sell-on clauses etc, academys would be a good thing?

Apprenticeships were mainly stopped due to costs, not red tape. Also companies who stopped training, just paid a little bit more than their rivals down the road and enticed the trained men from said rivals - thus starting the downward spiral in training.

For those concerned that we have started hemorrhaging our academy produced talent, you may take solace in the fact that it happens to premiership clubs as well.

Crystal Palace seem to be losing the crown jewels for a tribunal fee......

Routledge played a big part in getting Palace to the Prem, in that sense I look forward to having the same problem!

Routledge played a big part in getting Palace to the Prem, in that sense I look forward to having the same problem!

Quite agree. As sad as it is to see that this kid seems to be allowing his affairs mismanaged, Palace and their fans have had the pleasure of seeing a quality player for at least part of his career.

I hope that I will be able to say the same about Lita, Cotterill, Harley Golbourne etc, if/when they move on.

No its up to the F A or Fifa to make sure that the producing clubs get there reward for producing young talent.With rules it could work.

That's the first sensible thing you've said in your several hundred of postings about academies!

The FA Academy system is supposed to be a National initiative to raise the overall standard of players coming through to pick England teams from.

In my personal opinion, the academy scheme would work best if they were entirely independent of clubs in much the same way as the Merkins handle the development of college footballers. Academies would be based wherever there was a regional need (e.g. Bristol/Bath) funded from a central pot funded by the FA (from funds generated by a levy on all clubs pro rata to their league status); exit trials would be replaced by Graduation Day where each club got their "pick of the draft" from all the regional centres.

It won't happen in our lifetime (*) because it would need proactive planning by the FA and for Prem clubs to see it would be in their interests that the academies/colleges produced top-class players for England (UEFA's attempts to enforce a rule for minimum numbers of home qualified players in all squads may help in regard of the latter).

* So we must continue to make the

best we can of the current scheme

Whatever level we are at, we are always going to have some young players who turn out to be not quite good enough for us, and some who turn out to be "too good" and, very understandably, want to play at a higher level. This applies whether we get young players through our own academy or by buying them from other clubs.

I'd be much more worried if the academy wasn't producing players that could play at a higher level (or if our scouts weren't finding good young players that would leave us for better clubs). Of course, it would be nice if they could play at a higher level with City, but I don't blame those who take the chance to move up when it's available to them, rather than hanging around to see if they can do it with us.

What's sad about Routledge, however, is that by refusing to sign a new contract, he's deliberately making it more difficult for Palace to capture some of the value that they've helped create. He could always have a Matt Hill style release clause, only with a few extra noughts on the end.

Hasn't the Routledge situation come about partly due to Simon Jordan's confrontations with agents, and actually one agent in particular?

I remember at the start of the season Palace had a bid accepted for, then, Millwall midfielder Tim Cahill. However Jordan was unwilling to be moved on what amount of money should be payed to his agent.

I'm not totally aware of all the figures in that case, but on principle (with the way agents seem to be nowadays), I agreed with Jordan's stance.

At the time it could have been a real moment where clubs could have taken a stand against what the agent was demanding, but almost immediately Everton jumped in and payed the whole amount.

I cant say I know who Leroy Lita's agent is, or what he is like, but ultimately if he decides Lita could get a move to a bigger club which is likely to line his own pockets, there isnt much doubt he would do it.

Guest ashtonyate

Like wise Red Un thats the most sensible thing you have said it would take a burden of cost of clubs who cant afford then The only problem is you would need to put a price on every players head as the prem would cream

Guest ashtonyate

Like wise Red Un thats the most sensible thing you have said it would take a burden of cost of clubs who cant afford it. The only problem is you would need to put a price on every players head as the prem would cream all the better players

Like wise Red Un thats the most sensible thing you have said

No - in a previous thread of this nature I suggested that the best teams/squads were generally a blend of youthful energy and experienced wisdom, and you agreed the point (eventually) ... unfortunately, you very soon forgot it.

Archived