IGNORED

I Really Hate Some City Fans

And Its Smith

If you ever feel the need to become angry for any reason then just read some of the absolute garbage posted on the Steve L section of this forum.

In Steve, we have a man who continually puts his hand in his own pocket to keep this club going, as do many of the directors. Some people need to wake up and realise that we are NOT a big club, we DO NOT have any right to be in the Championship and we are LOSING hundreds of thousands of pounds each year.

Steve is a Bristol City fan and only wants whats best for the club. One post that really winds me up is posted by 'BCFChris'. He asks the board whether it might be better if they 'move on' as they have taken the club as far as they can.....WHAT THE HELL IS HE ON ABOUT! If he doesnt want there to be a Bristol City anymore then thats fine but I for one realise that without Steve and the board, potentially my Saturday afternoons could be very different.

People go on the SteveL forum and moan about selling Matt Hill for 100k. For people that think that please read my next couple of sentences over and over until it sinks in. Last summer Matt Hill was out of contract (with me so far), he could of walked away from the club and we would of got N-O-T-H-I-N-G for him. He only signed the contract because of the 100k release clause. Therefore we got 100k for him instead of nothing - GOT IT!! GOOD.

We are extremely lucky that Steve gives up his time to come on here and answer questions. If he continues to get people posting moaning, negative, rubbish statements and not questions then I think its only a matter of time before he doesnt bother anymore.

Can't argue with that.

One thing these posters might like to consider is this:

every time we have a managerial vacancy we can reasonably expect 20-30 candidates to apply with some previous experience or potential to do the job, how many people do they honestly think are out there who are financially able and prepared to be our chairman?

There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion :D .There are quite a few players/managment and some fans that are just passing through.

There again some are here for life.

We are not all going to agree on certain things but if we cant express an opinion theres no point of a forum.

Its fine to attack a post but come on we are all :angry: lets leave the posters alone. :laugh:

There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion :D .There are quite a few players/managment and some fans that are just passing through.

There again some are here for life.

We are not all going to agree on certain things but if we cant express an opinion theres no point of a forum.

Its fine to attack a post but come on we are all  :angry: lets leave the posters alone. :laugh:

I never said that there was anything wrong with expressing an opinion - I'd encourage it. What I don't like is people getting simple facts wrong like the Matt Hill issue and asking the board to move on when they are the ones keeping the club going.

I never said that there was anything wrong with expressing an opinion - I'd encourage it.  What I don't like is people getting simple facts wrong like the Matt Hill issue and asking the board to move on when they are the ones keeping the club going.

O.K fair point :laugh::D

The Matt Hill issue should have been dealt with way before last summer. The reason this became a problem, was because your beloved board did not start contract talks last Christmas! If they had, we may have been able to obtain more cash (some cash) for the likes of Peacock, Hill, Carey etc.

Guest The red dog

For BCFChris, I'm interested, what do you think is wrong with

the way the club is run?

I can't really fault anything at the moment, weve been very

unlucky now not to get promoted for the last couple of

seasons, and at the moment stand in fifth place with a still

inexperienced manager- what is the problem?

You make your point well,however,not wishing to be pedantic, it doesn't help using words like "hate people" in the title, although, I understand your emotion!

It's always struck me as unusual that a lot of wealthy people seem to walk right past Ashton Gate and turn up somewhere else.

Not just Haman(no problem there)even yesterday, it was confirmed that Hearts, as I posted yesterday,are attracting interest.They're in a Premier Leagu but looking at the crowds are no bigger than us :laugh:

Bristol is a big city with a big catchment area.The fams will come out to watch good football and, moreover, a succesful high flying team.I don't think we'd struggle to sell 35,000 seats if we were in the Premiership and you have to rememeber that teams like Man Utd & Chelseas will sell your ground out for you if you like!

The story about Abramovich trying to find Tottenham and landing up at Chelsea, is a typical example, if true, of how a quirk of fate can change fortunes.

I daresay if an RA type figure turned up at City and offered SL & The Board a pot of cash, they'd probably bite his arm off, subject to:

a.Him actually having the money......remeber Michael Knighton :D

b.Him having, as far as you could possibly tell,City's best interest at heart and not wanting the land for a block of flats & another bl00dy supermarket!

SL could even stay on as RA isn't involved at Chelsea on a day to day basis.

Let's be honest,we'd all like to be in Chelseas shoes,although,I know a number of Chelsea fans who've got the niggle in the back of their mind with regard to RA walking away one day, but, what the heck, enjoy it when you can..............Ask Leeds!

There is an issue with some fans with regard to personal wealth and how much the Board are prepared to commit.That's really all semantics until, as you say,someone else is prepared to walk in and commit more.

As you also say, they seem few and far between and I'll add, many with somewhat "questionable motives."

There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion

Yes there is sometimes. It depends on how you go about doing it and what you're trying to achieve by doing it. Far too many people like to speak just to be heard. We've got reasonable freedom to post whatever we want but some people don't take any responsibility for the effect it can have. Look at Dunford's little tirade when he'd had enough of fans whining at every opportunity (justified or not) to see that posts on message boards DO affect people.

If SteveL was gradually becoming fed up with virtually everything he does being questioned and the daily vilification some fans like to serve up, and then decided to walk away from the club leaving it in a complete arsehole of debt, would you consider all of those opinions harmless then?

I'm not saying we shouldn't question things and I think the forum is a good thing, but what disturbs me is the uninformed illogical ranting that appears on there, especially when it's personal, makes completely ludicrous allegations, and unconstructive.

For examples of a good post on the SteveL forum look here - fan clearly concerned about something, makes a suggestion., asks for some info. Then there's this type... fan having a complete rant with absolutely nothing constructive to say, making accusations that in a newspaper would be considered libellous, and if I were chairman it would have got a two word response with the second word being off.

There's a limit to everybody's patience and I fear too much of the latter will eventually make the people that keep the club in business walk away.

Nibor

The Matt Hill issue should have been dealt with way before last summer. The reason this became a problem, was because your beloved board did not start contract talks last Christmas! If they had, we may have been able to obtain more cash (some cash) for the likes of Peacock, Hill, Carey etc.

No player wanted to enter into contract talks before the outcome of our promotion campaign was known.

Why on earth would they?

The problem was that we were unable to commit to contracts for two reasons:

1.We didn't know which Div we'd be in and therefore didn't know how much cash we had.

2.Had we been promoted, how many of those players would we have wqanted and, from the clubs point of view,could we have attracted better players for the same or less?.

That policy was, of course,a double edged sword and we blew it by not getting promoted.

I agree that Contracts should be renegotiated,wherever possible,about 18 months before they expire.That way,if the player (his agent) decides to stall, you can list him and, if he's wanted, clubs won't wait 12/18 momths, like they'll wait, say 3/6 months for their man.

I suppose, in hindsight we could have inserted "get out" clauses for the club if we hadn't acheived promotion but, at that point the players agent would be even more likely to ay OK, if you're promoted, he want's more or some other MH type of clause.

The Rosenior "transfer" WAS a real cock up and we should have done much better with that.

If you ever feel the need to become angry for any reason then just read some of the absolute garbage posted on the Steve L section of this forum.

In Steve, we have a man who continually puts his hand in his own pocket to keep this club going, as do many of the directors.  Some people need to wake up and realise that we are NOT a big club, we DO NOT have any right to be in the Championship and we are LOSING hundreds of thousands of pounds each year.

Steve is a Bristol City fan and only wants whats best for the club.  One post that really winds me up is posted by 'BCFChris'.  He asks the board whether it might be better if they 'move on' as they have taken the club as far as they can.....WHAT THE HELL IS HE ON ABOUT! If he doesnt want there to be a Bristol City anymore then thats fine but I for one realise that without Steve and the board, potentially my Saturday afternoons could be very different.

People go on the SteveL forum and moan about selling Matt Hill for 100k.  For people that think that please read my next couple of sentences over and over until it sinks in.  Last summer Matt Hill was out of contract (with me so far), he could of walked away from the club and we would of got N-O-T-H-I-N-G for him.  He only signed the contract because of the 100k release clause.  Therefore we got 100k for him instead of nothing - GOT IT!! GOOD.

We are extremely lucky that Steve gives up his time to come on here and answer questions.  If he continues to get people posting moaning, negative, rubbish statements and not questions then I think its only a matter of time before he doesnt bother anymore.

I agree entirely. You don't even mention the fact that BCFChris virtually accuses Steve of trying to "dupe" the fans.

Yes we'd all like to be top of the league, but there is no magic formula for success. People like BCFChris write off Brian as the cheap option, but we'd previously tried going for the available experienced managers (such as Danny or even P***s) and that wasn't a runaway success either.

I really believe we have an extremely well run club - better than certain fans deserve - trying to strike the right balance between ambition and realism (so we try to get promoted, but won't go bankrupt if we don't).

What I sometimes can't believe is Steve/Colin/Richard's patience when responding to ignorant and insulting posts. My replies to such messages would be considerably shorter.

The Catering - This is a complete joke! Not only do you have to wait 20 minutes to be served, you also have to pay a fortune for poor products (cold and mostly tasteless). Added to that are the stock levels, or lack of them. It does not take a genius to run a few food kiosks!

The Stewards / Policing - The filming of E Block Williams at the beginning of the season was unecessary and totally unfair. Just because we are viciferous in our support of City, we suddenly became Hoolies who were hell bent on trouble! This was obviously instigated by the board, but for what reason?

The East End - Whatever people say about the East End last season, it did add much needed atmosphere to the Gate. This season has been like a morgue in comparison. The boards general indiference to this passionate topic, only serves to frustrate many fans.

Liam Rosenior - need I say more!

The Catering - This is a complete joke! Not only do you have to wait 20 minutes to be served, you also have to pay a fortune for poor products (cold and mostly tasteless). Added to that are the stock levels, or lack of them. It does not take a genius to run a few food kiosks!

The Stewards / Policing - The filming of E Block Williams at the beginning of the season was unecessary and totally unfair. Just because we are viciferous in our support of City, we suddenly became Hoolies who were hell bent on trouble! This was obviously instigated by the board, but for what reason?

The East End - Whatever people say about the East End last season, it did add much needed atmosphere to the Gate. This season has been like a morgue in comparison. The boards general indiference to this passionate topic, only serves to frustrate many fans.

Catering. Very few places you have a captive audience of more than 10,000 and you have to serve the ones that want serving in 15 minutes at half time. Sure it could be better, but I don't think reasoned complaints posted on the forum about catering have ever been rejected have they? Is this a sign of a badly run club or does every club have the same problem to an extent?

Stewarding. No it wasn't. People who were doing nothing wrong have nothing to worry about do they? There WERE a number of idiots there that were likely to be a problem in future whether you like it or not. The club have to do this type of thing so that when the complete total moron percentage acts up they can honestly say they do all they can to combat the problem. This to me is the definition of well run.

East End. Yes it added atmosphere, simple fact is that it costs more to open and the board made a decision to only do so when numbers justified it. You may not like the decision but they explained the reasons clearly the first few hundred times they were asked. They were quite open about it and perhaps are just bored of restating the same opinion over and over.

Anyway, what was the need for alledging financial malpractise of the sort that people go to jail for?

As BCFChris has so clearly shown, there will always be igonrant idiots in any line of life who don't let their ignorance prevent them from making out like they know all the answers.

I recently read a post by 'Milo' who apparently is some sort of John Harvey-Jones troubleshooter character and apparently knows better than Steve Lansdown what this club can and cannot afford.

It's a shame these sort of people aren't running our club instead. We'd be in the Premiership by now no doubt.

Actually it was for a documentary showing how much better behaved everyone is now compared to the 70s and 80s. :D

Guest monster red

In Steve, we have a man who continually puts his hand in his own pocket to keep this club going, as do many of the directors.  Some people need to wake up and realise that we are NOT a big club, we DO NOT have any right to be in the Championship and we are LOSING hundreds of thousands of pounds each year.

Steve is a Bristol City fan and only wants whats best for the club.  One post that really winds me up is posted by 'BCFChris'.  He asks the board whether it might be better if they 'move on' as they have taken the club as far as they can.....WHAT THE HELL IS HE ON ABOUT! If he doesnt want there to be a Bristol City anymore then thats fine but I for one realise that without Steve and the board, potentially my Saturday afternoons could be very different.

People go on the SteveL forum and moan about selling Matt Hill for 100k.  For people that think that please read my next couple of sentences over and over until it sinks in.  Last summer Matt Hill was out of contract (with me so far), he could of walked away from the club and we would of got N-O-T-H-I-N-G for him.  He only signed the contract because of the 100k release clause.  Therefore we got 100k for him instead of nothing - GOT IT!! GOOD.

We are extremely lucky that Steve gives up his time to come on here and answer questions.  If he continues to get people posting moaning, negative, rubbish statements and not questions then I think its only a matter of time before he doesnt bother anymore.

Good post but I think you just have to except you will always have a small element who think they know or could do better,everything you say is spot-on and I think Steve L would understand the likes of BCFChris :D are a small element who seem to lack the basic understanding regarding the amount of money,time and support the curent board have put into Bristol City.

I would be interested to here from BCFChris to advise us all on his business strategy to get Bristol City into the Premiership ASAP as he makes all sound so simple......when your ready then Chris :laugh:

Yes, he was out of contract but wasn't he under the "Bosman" age of 24? Therefore, could we have got a fee for him at a tribunal if he'd signed for somebody else? Can anybody answer this without redirecting me to some incomprehensible section of the FIFA Rules and Regulations?

Incidentally, I downloaded Preston North End's 2004 accounts from the Companies House website. They are in a huge financial mess - I think it's fair to say that their Balance Sheet (which discloses net liabilities of about £8million) means that they are technically insolvent. However, the notes to the accounts disclose that their parent company (presumably, their directors) are committed to keeping the club going.

Of course it was, thats why they filmed in the pubs as well I suppose?

So, the board have the power to tell HTV to film in pubs and then they have the power/jurisdiction to act upon that footage if they see anything they don't like?

Wibble.

Nibor asked: "Anyway, what was the need for alledging financial malpractise of the sort that people go to jail for?" Failed to answer that one, Chris. In your own time.

I for one could'nt wish for a better board, ok it's been reported that they have plenty of cash. Until this came out I wonder how many fans were happy the way the club was being run, since that report it seems a small minority think the board should spend massively on the club. Why should they. Steve L and the rest are doing a great job you see other clubs struggling and going into admin because of over spending. We were ambitious before signing thorpe and akinbiyi for a few million and where did that get us. Why rant and rave about the way the clubs being run be happy with what we got and get behind them. I don't want to see the club go through another 1982

This is a forum isn't it?! People come on and experess there views?! If so BCFChris had his and posted them. Glad to see we have a healthy and busy forum and wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same view?

Agreed some people are never happy and I have posted my views to Steve L on the board but at the end of the day he surely expects some critisism from it, along with alot of good ideas and sugestions.

And to the original post I would like to point out the misconception that directors GIVE or HANDOUT bcfc money! WRONG they lend it to be redeemed at a LATER DATE with interest!!!!!!

I think alot of posts are made in the heat of the moment and should be taken with a pinch of salt!

We are on the up and still in there so COME ON U REDS!!!!

Archived