IGNORED

Brooker .... The Jury's Out ?

headhunter

Whilst he had a better second half I thought overall Brooker looked a bit leaden-footed this afternoon.

I thought Goodfellow had an impact when he came on. Just as skilful as our Aussie International but with more pace and whilst similar in physcial stature he did not get knocked off the ball so easily.

Anyone agree that he should be in from the start against Hartlepool in this formation.

Phillips

smith-Coles-Butler-fortune-Bell

Doherty-Orr-Goodfellow

Lita-Heffernan

Lita may be short but he wins just as many balls in the air

Brooker is not the hanful in the box he should be in terms of putting himself about - just like Torpey did for Scunny for his 2 goals which I've just seen on Sky

I have to disagree on all your points, sorry.

You need someone away from home, especailly at a side like hartlepool who is going to hold the ball up. Brooker is the only one we have who can do this.

Goodfellow is not in the same class as Wilkshire, has not got the vision or the footballing brain and I'd never play him away from home.

I thought Goodfellow had an impact when he came on. Just as skilful as our Aussie International but with more pace and whilst similar in physcial stature he did not get knocked off the ball so easily.

I cannot believe any City fan would want Wilkshire dropped. He has been awesome this season, scoring 8 and creating nearly as many. He is the first name on my team sheet, and i expect 99% of City fans will agree with me that he should start.

There is no way that Goodfellow is as skillful as Wilkshire. Goodfellow is good for finishing and getting crosses in, but in terms of skill, i don't think he has anything special. He's a good player to bring on, and if Wilkshire went inside, i wouldn't mind Goodfellow playing, but if we didn't have Wilkshire this season, we wouldn't even be close to the play-off positions.

Whilst he had a better second half I thought overall Brooker looked a bit leaden-footed this afternoon.

Since Brooker has joined the club, he has been fantastic in holding the ball up well, giving us the option of a long ball, and anyone who saw Lita and Heff together for the first few games, will see that they don't really gel together well. Brooker has also weighed in with goals of his own, and brings so much to the team, leaving him out would make us lightweight up front.

I got to disagree as well don't agree with any of your points nor the team for Hartlepool. I feel Wilkshire is one of our better players at the moment and although he should be in the middle of the park he definatly shouldn't be dropped. Also Lita and Heffernan does not work it has been tried and has failed so no need to go back there. As for Goodfellow I like him he has pace and scares defenders. He won't fit in to a 3-5-2 formation but if we are to play 4-4-2 then I would like to see a midfield of

Murray Dinning Wilkshire Goodfellow

I got to disagree as well don't agree with any of your points nor the team for Hartlepool. I feel Wilkshire is one of our better players at the moment and although he should be in the middle of the park he definatly shouldn't be dropped. Also Lita and Heffernan does not work it has been tried and has failed so no need to go back there. As for Goodfellow I like him he has pace and scares defenders. He won't fit in to a 3-5-2 formation but if we are to play 4-4-2 then I would like to see a midfield of

Murray          Dinning          Wilkshire            Goodfellow

Have to agree with that unless Tommy Doherty has a "come to jesus" and ends up fit.

For 3-5-2 I'd like to see:

Phillips

Coles, Ireland, Fortune

Murray, Dinning, Tinnion, Wilkshire, Goodfellow

Brooker, Heffernan

Or 4-4-2:

Phillips

Smith, Coles, Ireland, Fortune

Murray, Dinning, Wilkshire, Goodfellow

Brooker, Heffernan

Swap Dinning for a 100% Doherty in either formation.

Nothing against Lita I just feel that he's best with the ball in front of him to run onto and Heffernan is best with it played in to feet or via crosses, and I think that game we're less likely to get balls in behind the defence.

Nibor

Have to agree with that unless Tommy Doherty has a "come to jesus" and ends up fit.

Phillips

Coles, Ireland, Fortune

Brooker, Heffernan

Or 4-4-2:

Phillips

Brooker, Heffernan

Nothing against Lita I just feel that he's best with the ball in front of him to run onto and Heffernan is best with it played in to feet or via crosses, and I think that game we're less likely to get balls in behind the defence.

Nibor

Excellant summation, would not change that in any way. Agreed on the fit Docherty for Dinning, and i would start using Scott Brown as a regular squad sub. He's been forgotten.

Goodfellow's contribution following his first run past three players was what exactly?

He intercepted a through ball from them and knocked it back to Phillips and so presented them with a good chance.

You have to be joking to seriously think about starting him in a game away fom home, he doesn't track back and it would be like playing with ten men.

Our next two away games are Hartelpool and Hull, he wouldn't make my 16, let alone starting line up.

Pretty shocked that you think Goodfellow os just as skillfull as Wilkshire - I would hazard a guess that few people would agree with you there. Wilkshire IMO is by far our most talented player and the only thing Goody has that Wilks doesn't is pace.

I don't see any reason why Goodfellow should start. He is so much better coming off the bench at tired defences and running at them. He isn't good enough to do that for 90 mins and he is very lightweight.

As for Brooker, he has been superb every time I have seen him. He holds the ball up so well and really uses his strength. Excellent buy in my opinion.

Goodfellow is quick and he scores goals.

Wilkshire is slower, but can pass the ball about better.

They're two totally different players.

And as for Brooker, I think hes been an excellent signing. He's Lee Peacock with a real physical presence and a footballing brain.

Guest cider archie

How long is it going to take til everyone relises just how sh!t brooker is , he's big and strong il give him that , but he has no clue what to do in my opinion he's a 3rd divison stiker and not the type of quality i want to watch at aston gate.Get miller back and try him and Leroy up front.

;)

How long is it going to take til everyone relises just how sh!t brooker is , he's big and strong il give him that , but he has no clue what to do in my opinion he's a 3rd divison stiker and not the type of quality i want to watch at aston gate.Get miller back and try him and Leroy up front.

;)

I have to say every time I've seen Brooker he's held the ball up, won his share in the air, and linked play up well with some half decent passing. I'd like him to be a bit more of a goal threat but in my opinion I think he was a good buy who's doing exactly what he was wanted for.

Nibor

Edit: And he doesn't give away a foul EVERY time the ball is in the air like Peacock did.

Guest cider archie

Yeah I see your point but can you seriously see him producing that little bit of quality to sway the match for us.I'd personally rather see Miller in the team may get thrown off the ball a bit, but he's good with his feet and head and a good finisher,and he works hard.Did anyone else notice the number of times leroy ran back to help the defence and midfiled whilst brooker strooled back from an offside position.

Yeah I see your point but can you seriously see him producing that little bit of quality to sway the match for us.I'd personally rather see Miller in the team may get thrown off the ball a bit, but he's good with his feet and head and a good finisher,and he works hard.Did anyone else notice the number of times leroy ran back to help the defence and midfiled whilst brooker strooled back from an offside position.

I think Miller and Brooker have different strengths.

Miller is good with his feet and brings other players into the game with his passing.

Brooker is better in the air and brings other players into the game with his strength.

If we're going to play a short goal-poacher (leroy or heff) I'd rather see Brooker alongside him so that we have some sort of aerial threat.

I can't see him turning a match unless a shot from outside the area goes in but to be honest I don't care because I think you really only ever have at most 2 or 3 players capable of doing that even in the best sides.

I'd like to see Miller do well also but frankly when he had a run in the team last season he didn't look like he could hold the ball up and if you're going to play Lita or Heffernan off another player I think you need that. Miller has more natural talent I'd agree and perhaps his loan will make him a first team player next season.

Nibor

Brooker has to be one of our best signings for ages, how anyone can say that with 12 goals this season he isn't good enough for this level is just plain mind numbing.

Brooker has been fantasic since joining us, and one issue is that unlike many other signings from the past he has come into the team and performed straight away and settled into his new surroundings in no time, the amount of players that move club and then take a month or so to settle in is amazing. But Steve has done it with ease.

He's IS without doubt one of the first names Tins puts on the team sheet, along with Wilkshire and Phillips, It's just a case of who starts up front along side him, Heff or Lita. For now Lita but Long Term I think it could be heff who is a far more intelligent player and more clinical.

My concern is clubs come along to look at Lita, but I bet they go away really thinking of Brooker.

I have to disagree on all your points, sorry.

You need someone away from home, especailly at a side like hartlepool who is going to hold the ball up. Brooker is the only one we have who can do this.

Goodfellow is not in the same class as Wilkshire, has not got the vision or the footballing brain and I'd never play him away from home.

I normally can't stand those 'Yeah, spot on post' posts but on this occasion, yeah, spot on Cheshire...

To be honest,whilst you could say the defence picks itself after the last two games, the rest of the team wouldn't work.

Doherty is unfit and Goodfellow showed once again yesterday,that it's a wide role or nowhere,as he can't tackle to save his life.That leaves Orr to do ALL the running.

Brooker needs competition for his place and Weatherall was a class act yesterday.

I think Heff or Lita next to Brooker, in fact all three samller strikers left after the loans, would want to play next to Brooker.....plus, probably the two on loan in Miller & Gillespie!!

We need another target man,at least until the end of the season, depending on what happens with LM,who,like Woodman,cannot be recalled.

It will be interesting to note Butlers performance at H'Pool next week because, unless Tins drops Forune the following week and plays both Butler & Ireland, TB's place is under threat.

Guest David Courtney

Phillips

Coles, Ireland, Fortune

Brooker, Heffernan

Or 4-4-2:

Phillips

Brooker, Heffernan

Nibor

The initial problem I see with either of these formations for Hartlepool is that,I believe,Ireland is suspended for the game.

There is no doubt that 3-5-2 was a success at Tranmere and perhaps it was adopted to mirror their formation (or perhaps not) but I don't think that is is a formation that will serve us well away from home on a regular basis

It's my opinion that Lita has to start.I certainly like Heff and I think he will have a role to play as the season progresses, but at the moment Lita & Brooker are our best combination.

At Tranmere Lita showed the danger that he poses throughout the game.He was a threat early on and took his goal really well and he was still there in the last 10 minutes running his socks off and nearly nicking a late second.

To me, Brooker looked fairly clumsy to begin with, but I think he has improved. He does link play well and despite what some people have said, I think he holds the ball up well and he can be the physical threat that we need in the opponents box. Lets not forget the good work he does in defending set plays in our own area as well.

As for Goodfellow, I just don't rate enough for him to be a regular starter or a player to begin with away from home. He might look dangerous when he comes on for 5 or 10 minutes here & there, but I think he is too lightweight and too much of a liability away from home.

Guest alex1089

Brooker is only about 5'11 or 6'0ft we need someone more of the height of 6'2-6'4 brooker is excellent but better with the ball at his feet or in yards of space at his head.

I must also admit to not being totally convinced by Brooker. To me he seemed to be a better player playing for Port Vale. Maybe that's down to his team mates here but whilst he has scored a few he has hardly made me jump up and down with excitement,but again maybe that's also the team in general.

To me he has been brought in to get us out of this division as maybe that's about his level. If it works great. Ok I admit I would rather see someone with a bit more skill and a footballing brain there ( Miller) but it's not going to happen. I fully support Brooker whenever he plays for us, just wish it didn't have to be, but after all we are a 3rd division club and he is a suitable player.

;)

And after seeing Miller last season and knowing that neither DW or BT would select him in their first sixteen, never mind first 11, why would you leave out a player who has scored more goals, more consistently over the seasons, AT THIS LEVEL than Miller?

Miller's actually 4 inches taller than Brooker, but Brooker is stronger with a better ability to hold the ball.Brookers also slightly quicker than Miller and has the strength to hold off challenges when running at a defence.I also consider him a better finisher.

Miller needs to get stronger and I've no doubt regular SPL football will help someone, who is still a young player.

Ask yourself why Tins signed Brooker when Miller was already here?

• Admin

Whilst undoubtedly Brooker has been a good signing, his first touch ( foot, not head) requires some work. As as been stated, he wins the ball and gives defenders a problem - without the stream of freekicks that Peacock used to give away, but his frequently poor first touch is why he is a 3rd division striker.

For what its worth, my opinion on our attack yesterday, was that it was lacking the guile, experience and class to beat a Bradford defence which was excellently led by Wetherall - he had Brookers card marked and neither he or Lita had the experience to outwit him.

Whilst undoubtedly Brooker has been a good signing, his first touch ( foot, not head) requires some work. As as been stated, he wins the ball and gives defenders a problem - without the stream of freekicks that Peacock used to give away, but his frequently poor first touch is why he is a 3rd division striker.

For what its worth, my opinion on our attack yesterday, was that it was lacking the guile, experience and class to beat a Bradford defence which was excellently led by Wetherall - he had Brookers card marked and neither he or Lita had the experience to outwit him.

No coincidence i suppose that Weatherall is one of a very few professional footballers with a University Degree?

Brain and brawn, irresistible combination!!

AT night in a dark alley in a bad neighbourhood, who would you want by your side.........Miller,Peacock, or Brooker. The same applies with opposition defences. Earlier this season our bruised back line gave Tins the answer and we signed him.

Archived