IGNORED

First Away Match For 10 Years

Nogbad the Bad

Well for anyone who followed my little story of last week, i avoided the flu etc. and managed to get to Brentford for my first away match for (at least) 10 years. That was after 15+ years of following City everywhere.

First time on Cats since the late 70's and Coach 2 was indeed quiet as Citygal warned me; no chance of a pre-match sing song amongst the snoozers. Quite plush though i thought.

Had what would've been a quick drink in a pub on the corner of the ground were it not for there being one barmaid to serve all the City fans who piled in on the stroke of 11 a.m. A 25 minute wait was not ideal but the mood of the fans was good.

The match though was great. Walking into the terraced away end towards the chanting fans was like going back in time. It was my lad's first away match and we duly took up our position against a barrier behind the goal. I asked the two big blokes immediately behind us to be careful not to squash him "if" City scored. They agreed.

The match then proceeded like a home one: City were doing most of the attacking and almost scoring on several occasions, their keeper playing a blinder. When Brentford scored their inevitable goal though the all too familiar sensation of standing in silence amidst the sight and sound of the rest of the groung celebrating.

What was noticeably different was the response of the City fans: no surging and swearing or contorted faces like i remember from the old days. The support picked up again immediately and the good humour, which was evident throughout was undiminished.

When Leroy appeared, our spirits were raised by his comical running style if nothing else and this had to be his moment. After all Harry's first league away match surely wasn't going to end in an ignominious, unmemorable, 1-0 defeat. And the little poacher man duly obliged, Harry was squashed, twice, by the two leaping, ecstatic 40 year old fibbers behind us and 100 others but was left with enough breath to roar out "Leeeeeeroy, Leeeeeeeroy" with the best of them. City, being City had done it the hard way and made us doubt them, but we'd snatched the win and were going home with the points.

We missed our lift home from the Gate so had to walk, but by then the deluge which had accompanied the home journey had mercifully lifted. "Dad, can we go to Notts. County?"

I was non-committal, "You know from watching teletext all these years that City don't often come back like that, lets get Bournemouth out the way first". But the atmosphere today made me realise how much i've missed watching City away and after the fantastic last 20 minutes in particular you never know. ^_^

Guest New Zealand Pete

A proper post, and a fine example of how our support has become more "good humoured" in recent years, I hope we are wearing off the tag as a club full of moaners (even if most of the time spent on this forum we moan), only wish i could have been there.

Yep, a wonderful post showing everything that makes football unique, and proof that the game's "je ne sais quoi" still exists (if only away from home) despite attempts by officials throughout the game to Disney-fy it.

I have a sneaking suspicion Nogbad will be finding an excuse to go to Notts County given the slightest prod. ;-)

Guest Harry May

A word of warning Nogbad . Once you 've got the taste ( again ) it can become addictive . And expensive .

Glad you enjoyed the day , hope young Harry experiences many more . You will be taking him on a "train day " soon !

Caldicot Red.

Always preferred away games to home games due to the atmosphere. Away fans always seem to be more positive, even when losing and i believe that persistent singing can lift the team - the best example of this was at Mansfield last year when a large section of us continued to sing even when we went 4-2 down. This the reason why many of us want to reclaim the East End.

Archived