IGNORED

Massive Attack & Portishead Gig

City Rocker

Massive Attack & Portishead play Bristol Academy

Tickets for this Tsunami benefit gig will be llike gold dust. The Academy only holds 1,600, so why not stage it at Ashton Gate?

I guess these two bands would sell out the Gate probably two or three times over! Obviously it would have to wait til the close season, but think of the money that would be generated for the charity, not to mention the kudos for Bristol's only large concert arena. Not sure if Geoff Barrow would be so keen to play our venue, but no doubt Rob would be well up for it (as long as those pesky licensing officers let us have beer).

So how about it then?

Given that it's a charity gig, they are probably getting the venue for free.  Can't see them getting Ashton gate for free !!!!

Well that kind of depends whether or not the club has the vision of 'the bigger picture'. Costs (including wear and tear to the pitch) would be taken from the ticket revenue. Catering revenue wouldn't necessarily be included in the charitable donation. And the profile of such a gig would be global.

Plus I doubt they would sell out Ashton Gate 2 or 3 times over.  They're not that big a crowd puller.

In fact both bands still have legendary status all over the world. Maybe '2 or 3 times over' is an exageration - but maybe not. Massive Attack's Queen Square show last year sold out it's 20,000 capacity easily. The two bands sharing the bill for the first time ever will attract attention the world over.

Given that it's a charity gig, they are probably getting the venue for free.  Can't see them getting Ashton gate for free !!!!

The Academy are letting them have the venue for free. Also all the staff working that night are donating their wages to the Tsumani appeal. The story was in the Evil Post last night.

Plus I doubt they would sell out Ashton Gate 2 or 3 times over.  They're not that big a crowd puller.

don't really agree about them not being crowd pullers. I have seen both bands perform over the last number of years here in Australia, and i can tell you the tickets were very hot property and sold out in no time at all Australia wide. Surely they would have this type of popularity in there home town?

Maybe not selling out the gate 2-3 time over but i would imagine it would still sell out.

Also it would place Ashton Gate under global attention.

Guest NakedZiderFest

I suppose they want to raise cash ASAP, which is why the gig is in Feb and you can't have an outdoor gig in Feb.

A Massive Attack/Portishead gig at the Gate in June sounds like a great idea though, and i think they could sell that out. One of the biggest expenses with setting up a gig is going to involve putting up and taking down the stage, but once that is up already for the Neil Diamond gig the costs of putting on a gig a few days before or after will be a lot less. Tickets could be sold for Massive Attack much cheaper than Neil Diamond and I think we'd have a sell out.

The band I think they have really messed up not getting is R.E.M. - they are playing in Britain around the same time as the Neil Diamond gig at the Gate, and are playing similar size venues (Sheffield Hallam, and Hull and Ipswich's grounds have got both R.E.M. and Neil Diamond playing). We could have got them too, it would have sold out, with the stage set up already the Club could have made some serious money, and it would have been a great event for Bristol. Instead weve lost out to the Millenium Stadium. Me and about 12 mates are trekking over to Cardiff to see them, but its dissappointing that we have continually got to go to Wales to see these bands when you think of the size of Bristol. :D

Archived