IGNORED

Marvin Brown

fRed

Marvin's on trail at Wycombe and played in the reserves against Oxford today...

Marvin Brown was ineffective and rarely showed a glimpse of the potential that made him such an exciting prospect at Bristol City.

Full Story

I wonder if he's going to make it anywhere? :sad56:

Just read the report and was surpirised at how informal it was. I can't imagine there ever beign a quote on our official site that would critisise a trialist, or one that would refer to Rovers as "our neighbours", would almost definitely be "City's neighbours". Not sure whether thats a good or a bad thing mind.

Anyway, back to Marvin. Never really saw enough of him during his time at City to see if he had the potential, but he was obviously put under immense pressure at the time (didn't someone state that he was going to be the clubs first player to be worth £5 million!?).

I always rated him really highly though (mainly because I was young and believed all the hype about him!) and rather stupidly made a £50 bet with my mate that he'd play for England by the time he's 38! Ah well, still another 18 odd years till I have to stump up the cash :D Hopefully then £50 will then be worth 50p in todays terms!

Wonder if Marvin somehow heard about my bet and that added extra perssure was just too much and pushed him over the edge, making him destined for conference/league 2 football for the rest of his life. If it was all my fault, sorry for ruining your career Mr Brown!

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Dave Burnside rated Marvin Brown in the £10million bracket when he was just 15 years old. By the time Marvin was 16 and 17, he was playing for England U19's and linked up well with Jermain Pennant. But in 5 years here as a senior he only played about 2 or 3 games so how could he be expected to improve (or even maintain)?! It was quite ridiculous,he was completely ignored by Danny Wilson despite Danny saying in July 2000 that Marvin was "very much in my plans" and a "star of the future"..right okay Danny so how come it took you 2 or 3 years to even put him on bench??

Shame really,he was a different class when he was a kid....

Yeah - All of the other clubs were dying to snap him up when we released him......

thats my point! Being stuck in the reserves, being 43rd in the pecking order for a place year after year really does your development as a player and confidece the world of good...

If, as a fresh youngster he was blooded in the team the same way Tinnion is using the youngsters for today (a friendly here, 25 mins against Portsmouth) it would of done him the world of good.

Marvin simply wasn't good enough. Why should you be given a chance in the first team if your'e not up to the job? Would your employers take you on if you didn't have the right qualifications and say, "Lets' give him a chance?". Don't think so. I wish Marvin well but at the end of the day he couldn't cut it in the reserves, let alone the first team

Marvin simply wasn't good enough. Why should you be given a chance in the first team if your'e not up to the job? Would your employers take you on if you didn't have the right qualifications and say, "Lets' give him a chance?". Don't think so. I wish Marvin well but at the end of the day he couldn't cut it in the reserves, let alone the first team

The thing is up until about the age of 16/17 he was good enough, he shone. He then stopped developing while everyone else carried on and he fell behind. I'd perhaps question the attitude of someone who spent so long being "close" to the first team but never put in the performances for the reserves that got him a decent run in the first XI.

Regarding employers, some will actually do that - mine did. If it doesn't pay off that's what probationary periods are for ;).

Nibor

Archived