IGNORED

Wireless Network

deadratinmycider

You might want to check out Linksys hardware [ I think its a cisco systems subsidiary company ]. I've bought stuff from them in the past for people and recommend them.

Get "G wireless technology" Best buy online rather than at somewhere like PC World as chances are its cheaper by a tenner or so and you will be buying the latest version of that hardware not an older version. P.C. world frequently have old hardware on the shelves that they will try to sell.

When you get the hardware its a good idea to update the hardwares firmware packages (if needed)

If you can get to a big bookshop you might want to browse "The Wireless Networking Starter Kit" 2nd Edition by Adam Engst and Glenn Fleishman. Its pretty good at explaining what you need to do to set up a home network. The documentation with your hardware purchase is not always that helpful and the book helps you out e.g. The book tells you if you have a particular operating system bought before a set date that you will have to upload a software patch for your operating system to work with the new hardware. This was not mentioned in the hardware documenatation.

what is the speed like when sharing Broadband connection?

Well it depends how fast your broadband connection is and how many computers are connecting to the internet at the same time. If you have about four computers connected and are all working at the same time downloading allot of files then that will severly slow down your internet access.

Hope thats of some help ;)

Anyway good luck with your network

Bit boring, but I was wondering if anyone has set up a wireless network

at home?

If so, can anybody recommend some good kit? I'd prefer to use USB

adapter's with access point (combined modem/router/switch). Also,

Any advise would be welcome. :D

Cheers very much MrT, Linksys was the make of access point I was thinking

of going to go for. Do you have a wireless network set up? or have you

helped other people set one up then? I'm pretty sure I know how to set

it all up with regards to configuration and security, etc. but I was wondering

if anybody has one set up and can recommend specific hardware or any