IGNORED

Frank Barlow

Slave to the rhythm

One thing I said when we got rid of Danny Wilson, was that I hope Frank Barlow didn't follow him out of the door. We all know what happened next....

In the Pre-season games when DW was not around, FB took control and not only gave players like Clist and Hulbert games (possibly handed Darren Hawkins his first start as well?) but we also played good football and looked like a decent team. It's also not as if he was a newcomer to management/assistant management either.

Keith Millen on the other hand was in charge of the under 17's (I think :laugh: ) but apart from that he has no coaching/managerial experience at first team level. Add this to the fact that we have a rookie manager, and unfortunately I think that this could cost us promotion in the long run.

If FB had stayed at the club as BT's assistant, then not only would we have had FB passing all of his knowledge onto BT, but we would also have had experience on the touchline - not only when Tins is in the dugout, but more importantly when he is playing.

Barlow was the more vocal/animated of the duo, whilst Wilson would be stood against the dugout. What does Millen do on the touchline? Not a lot.

Frank Barlow could have been what was needed to get us out of this division. Whether he would have stayed is another question though - let's not forget that him and DW have worked together before and are quite close. Perhaps FB would not have wanted to stay at the club where his friend had been sacked from...

Maybe that's cos Merson is too busy bouncing off the walls!

Ahh, good point though but I would say that he seemed to have the respect of most of the players at city.

I'm surprised that Merson has managed to keep his name out of the tabloids for so long, and therefore perhaps Barlow was a good influence on him.

Whilst I understand that Barlow was well liked by the players I don't recall our ability to defend set pieces improved at all during his time with City. If we'd improved that area of our game then i'm sure we'd be long gone from this living nightmare of Division 3.

It also would have provided some much needed continuity between last and this season.

Personally would've been a good move to get him to stay (even as Number 1?? don't know if that was ever mooted) then maybe the problems Phillips discussed here wouldn't have occured.

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~619296,00.html

and on a side note the headline writers have done Steve no favours again here (gasp of surprise). The headline makes it sound like he's writing of ourt chances the article doesnt exactly follow that line.

It also would have provided some much needed continuity between last and this season.

Personally would've been a good move to get him to stay (even as Number 1?? don't know if that was ever mooted) then maybe the problems Phillips discussed here wouldn't have occured.

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~619296,00.html

I am not trying to be wise after the event, but I was amazed that we asked Frank to leave at the same time as Danny. He could have been the "wise old head" that so many of us think Tins needs alongside him.

I am not Gary Megson's biggest fan, but the fact that he's asked Frank to work alongside him at Forest speaks volumes.

It was made pretty clear at the time that Tinnion took over that he wanted a completely fresh start and something along the lines of Barlow being part of the old set up was given as the reason that he went on the official site at the time.

I rated Barlow and as we had the best defensive record in the Nationwide last season and he was the defence's coach, he must have been doing something right, not sure about the rudderless ship comment made by roadrunner though, as Barlow and Wilson actually arrived together.

I think a large majority believed (believe?) that we needed experience somewhere in our new managerial set up in the summer and although Barlow probably wouldn't have wanted to stay anyway following Wilson's sacking and also because he lives in Chesterfield, the fact that we then appointed a managerial set up that contains no-one who has ever performed their current role at League standard is something we are certainly paying for.

I rated Barlow and as we had the best defensive record in the Nationwide last season and he was the defence's coach, he must have been doing something right, not sure about the rudderless ship comment made by roadrunner though, as Barlow and Wilson actually arrived together.

No, Danny definitely arrived a few months before Frank.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

It's upto the manager to choose his OWN assistant,Tinnion chose Keith Millen - a fully qualified UEFA coach of the highest level and obviously somebody he felt he can communicate well with....

End of story,like it or lump it,if you don't like it then don't bother turning up at Ashton Gate anymore

Archived