IGNORED

Tinnion - A Few Facts

Martyn Hocking

FACT - SL told BT when he gave him the manager's job to concentrate on management and to only play the odd game this season. BT has ignored this advice.

FACT - SL expected BT to get us promotion this season. Anything less than that will be seen as a failure by the board as well as the fans. There was no allowance made for a 'transition' period - quite the reverse. BT was chosen because he knew the club and the players better than any other potential candidate.

SUPPOSITION - SL will not sack BT mid-season, but might well do if we finish mid-table well short of the play-offs.

FACT - BT stated when he signed Heff that he was his 'big summer signing' yet has barely used him this season. The parallels with Wilson's signing of Miller the previous year are all too obvious.

FACT - SL saw Gillespie as first team material when he signed him - again, he has hardly had a sniff of the action and is now out on loan.

FACT - BT saw Anyinsah and Harley as first team material for this season - where are they now?

FACT - BT saw Leroy's class and gave him his big chance, a chance he has grabbed with both hands. But ... Frank Barlow had more to do with Lita's development at the club than anyone else and he is no longer at AG. Who is going to take Lita forward now?

FACT - Murray is playing pants but is an automatic first choice selection week in, week out.

FACT - Murray was Best Man at Tinnion's wedding in the summer.

FACT - our most valuable asset last season - Danny Coles - has mutated from £500,000 star to £100,000 (at most) journeyman. What a waste of talent.

FACT - Dinning looked pants on his debut and was subbed because he was passing the ball more often to the oppostion than his own teammates.... yet he got a contract. What a waste of money.

FACT - Smith was signed as Carey's replacement in August only for Carey to be bought back in January. Another waste of money.

Well_Red

I'd just like to say in addition that I don't think that our Chairman has made the mistake in appointing Tinman, its Tinmans appointment in making Keith Millen his number two.

The only way we're going to go forward now with Tinman in charge is if he has the balls to get rid of Millen and approach the chairman to ask him for money to spend on the wages of an EXPERIENCED number two!

So Tinman, we've seen the passion you show on the pitch, your post match interviews are encouraging and also show that you want to fight for this club to get us in the championship, now act on that and show some guts by getting rid of some of your coaching staff and getting in someone who can show you how to become a decent football manager! You've got all the attributes, you just need them to be brought out by someone more experienced.

Surely any appointment in the club has to go through the chairman eventually. Millen may have been Tinnion's choice, but SL surely ok'd it?

Much of what you say is fairly accurate. But I would disagree with the Heff piece. No one could have predicted Lita's goals. Now would be the time to give Heff a proper run, when Lita looks unlikely to score/produce. Same goes for Gillespie, if Lita hadn't had such a good first 20 games, both these guys would have probably had their chances.

I would feel that any pre-season comments of promotion were done for marketing/motivational purposes. Why would SL think that we would have a better chance this year than last? It doesn't add up to me. We are not a good a side as last years, we do not have an experienced managerial team as last years; that doesn't mean we're better than last years.

Fact: Something is very, very wrong with D.Coles.

Excellent piece.

It's a double-edged sword for me now.

I think it's too tall an order for us to reach the play-offs now, so frankly (and I HATE to say this) if we are to blow up this season then it might be best if we do it spectacularly so that Steve L has no other choice and has to get rid of Tinnion...

Sorry, but it's honestly got to that stage...I think we will fail miserably this season and finish just outside the top 10 and I hope Steve L sees this as a failure and acts in the only manner he can.

:unsure:

Surely any appointment in the club has to go through the chairman eventually. Millen may have been Tinnion's choice, but SL surely ok'd it?

Much of what you say is fairly accurate. But I would disagree with the Heff piece. No one could have predicted Lita's goals. Now would be the time to give Heff a proper run, when Lita looks unlikely to score/produce. Same goes for Gillespie, if Lita hadn't had such a good first 20 games, both these guys would have probably had their chances.

I would feel that any pre-season comments of promotion were done for marketing/motivational purposes. Why would SL think that we would have a better chance this year than last? It doesn't add up to me. We are not a good a side as last years, we do not have an experienced managerial team as last years; that doesn't mean we're better than last years.

Fact: Something is very, very wrong with D.Coles.

Medication?

Guest hairyshamrock

MEDICATION FOR THE LOT OF THEM!!!!

I know, it goes against everything you stand for as a fan, but i'm praying for them to blow up and really make a hash of things till May, that way the board will stop thinking "we're close" and realise how far away we actually are.

The 2 or 3 decent city performances at home this season are not enough. I have mates who haven't missed a game in 10+ years not bother some weeks this season!

***** Another fact which i have on good authority is that Tinnion will not play certain youngsters on the grounds that he DOESN'T LIKE THEM...!

Oh dear god, are we getting to the stage that our manager is really picking a team the same way we used to pick sides in the lunch hour at school?!

I worry for this club under the inept leadership of Tinnion and i would question the fools above him who approved this move in the first place!

What I cannot understand is that instead of signing all these players, why don't we just get an experienced number two in? He would probably cost less in wages than any of the players we have signed this season, and could really help us to get the best out of what we already have, which we all know is good enough to get us into Division 1...

:unsure:

ANOTHER FACT - good managers don't slag their players off in public. Quite the reverse in fact. The likes of Wenger and Fergie defend their players to the death - the bollockings are all handed out in private.

No teams fielded by Wenger or Ferguson would put in so little effort like our overpaid wasters, They just have off days, Anyone is entitled to an off day, Not an off could'nt care less 5 years

ANOTHER FACT - good managers don't slag their players off in public. Quite the reverse in fact. The likes of Wenger and Fergie defend their players to the death - the bollockings are all handed out in private.

Very true indeed.

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

FACT- In our entire history over 100 years we must have played 70% of them in English 3rd division.

FACT- Its time fans starting realising at best we are a better than average 3rd division side, we are not a 'Big Club'.

Well, there seems as much supposition as fact in your statement, so here's a few thoughts ...

FACT - SL told BT when he gave him the manager's job to concentrate on management and to only play the odd game this season. BT has ignored this advice.

Are you sure that's a fact? Can you find the quote where Steve told Brian to concentrate on management and only play the odd game? I'm sure any good chairman would want to advise his manager, particularly one in his first job. But I am also sure that ultimately he would let his manager manage in the best way he sees fit. So sounds more like supposition on your part, rather than a fact.

FACT - SL expected BT to get us promotion this season. Anything less than that will be seen as a failure by the board as well as the fans. There was no allowance made for a 'transition' period - quite the reverse. BT was chosen because he knew the club and the players better than any other potential candidate.

SUPPOSITION - SL will not sack BT mid-season, but might well do if we finish mid-table well short of the play-offs.

Let me add my own supposition here, since you are making so free with your own. This situation will not arise, as we will finish in the play offs.

FACT - BT stated when he signed Heff that he was his 'big summer signing' yet has barely used him this season. The parallels with Wilson's signing of Miller the previous year are all too obvious.

Where are the parallels? Miller started most of the first half of the season, suffered a slight loss of form and was left out, then couldn't get back in because of Danny's insistence on playing Peacock in every every game. Heffernan was signed in order to score goals, but given that Brooker and Lita are two of the top scorers in the division has not had the opportunities to play as much as he might have wanted but is still a vital squad player.

FACT - SL saw Gillespie as first team material when he signed him - again, he has hardly had a sniff of the action and is now out on loan.

OK, while we're talking facts, it was Danny Wilson who signed Gillespie, not Steve L. He is a highly promising young player, but I don't think anyone saw his as being an automatic pick for the first team right from the start. He will be a big player for City in the future, but has been loaned out to get match fitness and expereince playing league football. As you seem to be a big fan of him, and of Paul Heffernan, you are presumably suggesting that we play them ahead of Brokker and Lita. And if not, what's your point exactly?

FACT - BT saw Anyinsah and Harley as first team material for this season - where are they now?

See above.

FACT - BT saw Leroy's class and gave him his big chance, a chance he has grabbed with both hands. But ... Frank Barlow had more to do with Lita's development at the club than anyone else and he is no longer at AG. Who is going to take Lita forward now?

As you say, 'BT saw Leroy's class and gave him his big chance'. Arguably he has taken him much further forward than Frank Barlow ever did, and continues to do so by picking him in the first team. Whereas according to your previous 'facts' you would leave him out in favour of Heffernan or Gillespie. Management is about making choices - tough ones sometimes.

FACT - Murray is playing pants but is an automatic first choice selection week in, week out.

That 'fact' is complete and utter rubbish. It may have escaped your attention but Murray started his first game for (I think) four matches last friday after a spell on the bench.

FACT - Murray was Best Man at Tinnion's wedding in the summer.

Yes, and he made a very funny speech, so I'm told. So what's your point exactly?

FACT - our most valuable asset last season - Danny Coles - has mutated from £500,000 star to £100,000 (at most) journeyman. What a waste of talent.

Nobody is making him play badly other than himself. How he reacts to the disappointment of last season is entirely up to him.

FACT - Dinning looked pants on his debut and was subbed because he was passing the ball more often to the oppostion than his own teammates.... yet he got a contract. What a waste of money.

Half agree with you here. Dinning has yet to convince me that he isn't another of those players who works his socks off to get a contract and then retreats to the comfort zone. Time will tell.

FACT - Smith was signed as Carey's replacement in August only for Carey to be bought back in January. Another waste of money.

Fact. Smith didn't cost anything, and is only on a one year contract. Carey is an experienced professional who will add quality to the squad. Where's the problem? Don't you want us to sign good players?

Well_Red

Ferguson has criticised a number of players in public. Look at how many goalkeepers he's been through in recent years.

I do agree it seems to achieve nothing though.

Nibor

Archived