IGNORED

Mark Mcghee For Manager (sorry Tins)

Loderingo

As other posters to this Forum have neatly summed up, it's time for Tins to go. Looking back to the summer his appointment was obviously a gamble but everyone hoped he would succeed. It was always going to take time to adapt as 2 points from the first five matches showed. We then started to make progress but have now slipped back again. The problem with the Chesterfield result seems to be not so much the actual match but that the result was utterly predictable. I was going to watch the match on sky round a mate's house but then thought why bother? We'll play cr*p football and get a cr*p result. And low and behold we do. It says something when you're too ashamed to watch your team on sky any more.

I understand that some people say that Tins should get more time and indeed we still have a chance of going up. Our current odds with Betfair are 5/1, which means we have a 20% chance of going up. For me the Litmus Test is this: forgetting this season, do you think that we can mount a serious promotion challenge next year under the current management?

My answer is no and thus we should change manager now. If the current boss isn't good enough then why wait 'til next summer or Xmas when we can change now and maybe still salvage this season.

I think we should try and lure Mark McGhee. He has to be the top candidate as he has already won promotion from this division twice with Millwall and Brighton. Brighton don't have a big budget due to their small ground so maybe we could convince him he has better long term prospects here. Also he has applied for the City job before (and did he play for us once or is this my imagination?)

Otherwise we should look for someone who has a proven track record of winning promotion in the lower divisions. Dave Penney has done an excellent job at Donny. Otherwise maybe consider Gary Johnson (Yeovil), Neale Cooper(Hartlepool) or Leroy.

To be honest I don't expect anything to happen. The board seem to be stickers and I expect things to carry on as they are for the rest of the season. Even if (by some miracle) we did go up, we would probably do worse in the Champ. than under Benny. Noticed the post on the Steve/Colin board suggesting Benny's return. At least someone has a sense of humour.

Don't remember ever looking forward to the cricket season in February before!

As other posters to this Forum have neatly summed up, it's time for Tins to go. Looking back to the summer his appointment was obviously a gamble but everyone hoped he would succeed.  It was always going to take time to adapt as 2 points from the first five matches showed.  We then started to make progress but have now slipped back again.  The problem with the Chesterfield result seems to be not so much the actual match but that the result was utterly predictable.  I was going to watch the match on sky round a mate's house but then thought why bother?  We'll play cr*p football and get a cr*p result.  And low and behold we do.  It says something when you're too ashamed to watch your team on sky any more.

I understand that some people say that Tins should get more time and indeed we still have a chance of going up.  Our current odds with Betfair are 5/1, which means we have a 20% chance of going up.  For me the Litmus Test is this: forgetting this season, do you think that we can mount a serious promotion challenge next year under the current management?

My answer is no and thus we should change manager now.  If the current boss isn't good enough then why wait 'til next summer or Xmas when we can change now and maybe still salvage this season.

I think we should try and lure Mark McGhee. He has to be the top candidate as he has already won promotion from this division twice with Millwall and Brighton.  Brighton don't have a big budget due to their small ground so maybe we could convince him he has better long term prospects here.  Also he has applied for the City job before (and did he play for us once or is this my imagination?)

Otherwise we should look for someone who has a proven track record of winning promotion in the lower divisions.  Dave Penney has done an excellent job at Donny.  Otherwise maybe consider Gary Johnson (Yeovil), Neale Cooper(Hartlepool) or Leroy.

To be honest I don't expect anything to happen.  The board seem to be stickers and I expect things to carry on as they are for the rest of the season.  Even if (by some miracle) we did go up, we would probably do worse in the Champ. than under Benny.  Noticed the post on the Steve/Colin board suggesting Benny's return.  At least someone has a sense of humour.

Don't remember ever looking forward to the cricket season in February before!

I was going to watch the match on sky round a mate's house but then thought why bother? We'll play cr*p football and get a cr*p result.

Perish the thought of actually GOING to the game, then.

We aren't playing well at the moment, particularly at home.

Although some of Tins selections and tactics have left something to be desired, so did DW's.He was earning double with an experienced assistant probably earning more than Millen.

McGhee's boredom football would be worse than DW's although, I will concede that he has a track record with Millwall & Brighton and, once again, he's ex City.

I don't actually blame Tinnion for our last debacle, I blame players like Coles & Butler for playing so far below their potential.

I know you can say it's up to the manager to motivate them but the only way to treat this particular behaviour is to rid the club of the players.

I have had a season ticket for the ;ast 11 years but i would seriously consider that position if mark mcghee was appointed manager.

I too have had a season ticket for years. If Tinnion remains I will seriously consider my postion. So will lots of others where I work

True McGhee's football would be boring but if it was a case of playing dull football, winning 1-0 every game and going up or another season of div 2, which would you pick?

Re: Wilson, yes he made some bad tactical choices but at times his teams played some outstanding attacking football.

Tinnion's team neither plays good football or achieves results. While Wilson's teams tended to bottle the big games, they did at least put some good consistent runs of form together. This side doesn't look capable of that. Strangely, it wouldn't surprise me if we got some sort of result at Hull, but that won't matter if we keep dropping points to poor teams.

We aren't playing well at the moment, particularly at home.

Although some of Tins selections and tactics have left something to be desired, so did DW's.He was earning double with an experienced assistant probably earning more than Millen.

McGhee's boredom football would be worse than DW's although, I will concede that he has a track record with Millwall & Brighton and, once again, he's ex City.

I don't actually blame Tinnion for our last debacle, I blame players like Coles & Butler for playing so far below their potential.

I know you can say it's up to the manager to motivate them but the only way to treat this particular behaviour is to rid the club of the players.

Come on BB, Butlers potential is behind him, 33 this year and slowing down like Bell/Murray/Tins. Coles is either on substance abuse, or has his mind elsewhere[broken heart,hair rinse wrong shade]. These players have shown gross disloyalty to their manager, and naked contempt for the fans that turn up to support them. There are plenty of posts showing teams without them, it can and should be done.

True McGhee's football would be boring but if it was a case of playing dull football, winning 1-0 every game and going up or another season of div 2, which would you pick?

Re: Wilson, yes he made some bad tactical choices but at times his teams played some outstanding attacking football. 

Tinnion's team neither plays good football or achieves results.  While Wilson's teams tended to bottle the big games, they did at least put some good consistent runs of form together.  This side doesn't look capable of that.  Strangely, it wouldn't surprise me if we got some sort of result at Hull, but that won't matter if we keep dropping points to poor teams.

I'd agree with most of that. Wilsons football was bad at times but it was effective and ground out results - particularly at home which then formed the basis of a strong promotion push. And we were capable of going on long unbeatan runs where we won more games than we drew.

Mcghee would be more of the same but i think ultimately effective - and i think we might be convinced to take the job.

I also agree that it would not surprise me at all if went at got three points at Hull next week - but that would be safe in the knowledge that we'd fail to beat Walsall the following friday.

Guest Sign Craig Ireland

I also agree that it would not surprise me at all if went at got three points at Hull next week - but that would be safe in the knowledge that we'd fail to beat Walsall the following friday.

I'm one of those idiots who is making the 500 mile round trip to 'Ull next weekend. But, do I have any expectation that we'll get a draw or a win there? No. So why am I going?

Guest Oxford Red

A more realistic option this summer than 'Tins out, someone else in' might be to appoint an experienced Assistant in place of Millen. If problems in the squad are a result of motivation and discipline, I'd like to see some action from the board to deal with this. What do you think?

Archived