IGNORED

In This Week's Shake Up, New Captain?

GrahamC

Interested to read yesterday's piece by Richard Latham where he highlighted City's lack of a leader on the pitch since Shaun Taylor packed it in.

It is something that vitually every one at City has identified since, though it set me thinking when he also said that we don't possess anyone who leads by example.

Well Tommy used to, but his inability to last 90 minutes and the fact that any vocals from him these days seem to be directed at the officals rather than geeing up colleagues make him a poor choice to lead us IMO. In his regular absence Coles has led the side and personally I struggle to think of a Tinnion decision that I've understood less.

Going through the squad though two names came to mind, Jamie Smith and Tony Dinning, however I quickly discounted Dinning because although he looked a clear organiser in his loan spell, his games since joining permanently can be charitably described as disappointing.

For me then Smith should be our captain, this is not some knee jerk reaction to the fact that on Friday he looked by a distance the one who wanted it most, but because he is experienced, committed and does want to win.

Any thoughts?

Guest comeonureds
I could go for that, although i have a funny feeling a certain Carey might be.  Brooker might be a good captain, or even Bell.

bell captain you must be joking :whistle: . can't see him going beyond this season.

The only problem with Smith is whether he can control his aggression, we don't want another Doherty type who sets the wrong example.

Making Carey Captain would justify his return though whether he's actually Captain material personality wise is another question.

Smith for me for the rest of this season, with the signing of a genuine leader in the Summer as on-field priority number one.

Archived