IGNORED

Bristolians

Keepers Ball

There was a time I would get a kick out 'boasting' that our first team had 7 Bristolians or locals regularly pulling on the red jersey.

Not looking like that now is it ? :sad56:

You may or may not care...... I can't say I do being born and bred in Dorset

All I want to see is Bristol City Fc being a successful club

I don't care where the players are from.... just care about them giving their all for us and their team mates.

Guest torquay red
You may or may not care...... I can't say I do being born and bred in Dorset

All I want to see is Bristol City Fc being a successful club

I don't care where the players are from.... just care about them giving their all for us and their team mates.

Well said Dorset :blush:

There was a time I would get a kick out 'boasting' that our first team had 7 Bristolians or locals regularly pulling on the red jersey.

Not looking like that now is it ? :sad56:

I`ve got to agree, it gave the team character and spirit i thought now it seems like we are experiencing "the passage of time" and Tinnion could be showing that it doesnt matter where the players are from he wants success so although this is very disapointing it is also a new start.

Guest ashtonyate
I`ve got to agree, it gave the team character and spirit i thought now it seems like we are experiencing "the passage of time" and Tinnion could be showing that it doesnt matter where the players are from he wants success so although this is very disapointing it is also a new start.

Crap I don't care where they come from as long as we get out of this crap league and I was born local to Bristol

I seem to remember a few years ago when the Nomads seemed to get the better of us on a fairly regular basis that bit was with a team including quite a few locals.

Like wise when we screwed them into the ground in the LDV a couple of years ago it was with a good sprinkling of Bristol lads who had come through the ranks together. It seemed to mean so much more to them and that they were really up for it. And to be honest it was great to see a team with a good number of locals in it.

I will take success and good football with whosoever is in the Red shirt, but it does mean something more if Bristol lads are wearing that said shirt.

Guest fatherdougal

My suspicion is that the best way forward for any club is to have a set of players from a wide range of football backgrounds and experiences. I was surprised when Hill went, I can't be alone in thinking that he looked as if he would be drawing his pension at AG. But too many players from the same background, even if they happen to be good and talented technically, is not good for the pot. Sooner or later the class has got to be broken up and they have to go out and develop. Either that or they're no use to anybody.

I agree that players taken from different backgrounds with different levels of experience is vital, otherwise it all seems a bit incestuous. However I still like to see a good few with a history at the club playing in the shirt.

Yes, I was surprised to see Matt Hill leave ( but perhaps less so after the protracted contract talks he had in the summer). But is this not what the academy is about, moving some on, hopefully at a profit to let others come in.

Should Matt`s departure not perhaps open the way for Clayton Fortune to have an extended run ( Are You listening Brian??)

Guest fatherdougal

Yes, agree about Clayton Fortune. Along with Smith and Brooker he's another one

who's got his head down. In a 3-5-2 he looks quite assured at the back, which still leaves me bemused about Carey's role. But hopefully, all will be revealed.

If the Bristolians in the team pulled their weight, then you'd find them in the team. Currently they don't. Hopefully the two musketeers getting taken down a peg or two, will fire up the Bristolians, and imports to finally acheive that holy grail-promotion.

Like Dorset Red, I aint from Brizz, but I want BRISTOL CITY to succeed- in the distant past we did, once, i'd like to see it again, WITHOUT the going bust bit...mickey taking Bristolians (and Welshmen etc etc) contribute to downfalls-so best team for the job, regardless of where they are from, even if in the unlikely event of them being Swindle, Baaaadiff, or Sag players!!

Although it would be satisfying to see Bristol City represented by lots of Bristol born players, I am now past caring. :blush:

I want the best player for the job,the player who is skillful,who is passionate and committed, who gives great value and is loyal. ( well that will do for starters!). If he offers all that and more then I don't care where he comes from! I just want to make progress and not have to meet some of the teams we have played over and over again.

I know it's at a completely different level, but how many local lads to Arsenal, Chelski etc have. Even teams like Portsmouth have several players for whom English isn't a first language don't they?

I want BRISTOL CITY to succeed- in the distant past we did, once, i'd like to see it again,

Yes we did. With a team that included the likes of Geoff Merrick, Chris Garland, Keith Fear, Kevin Mabutt, Trevor Tainton, Gary Collier, Dave Rodgers.... the most successful City team in living memory was built round Bristolians.

That said, they were brought through the ranks by a manager with no money to spend but plenty of time to develop them. Maybe we don't have the patience any more?

Yes we did. With a team that included the likes of Geoff Merrick, Chris Garland, Keith Fear, Kevin Mabutt, Trevor Tainton, Gary Collier, Dave Rodgers.... the most successful City team in living memory was built round Bristolians.

That said, they were brought through the ranks by a manager with no money to spend but plenty of time to develop them. Maybe we don't have the patience any more?

Pity the current breed do take the p1ss then :city: .........and as to the the patience bit, I don't reckon we have that much time, the gap between Chimpionship and our division will keep growing, the longer we're here :blush: ...Develop Bristolians, by all means- it is the way forward, but right now we gotta depend on outsiders....shame, but true :city:

Archived