IGNORED

What Do U Do With 5 Quality Strikers?

Donnie Darko

As far as I can remember we currently have the best quality collection of forwards seen at the club in quite a long time, but seeing as only two of them can start every week (we don't do 3 up front) and one or maybe two can go on the bench, then surely over the summer one of them is going to have to go....

Lita - top scorer, likely to end up with 30 this season. However goes through barron spells where a goal here or there would dramatically affect everyones confidence. Now he's got an u21 call up, his values going to increase and he isn't going to settle for anything less than a starting place every week, and possibly a higher level of football: possible transfer away, brings in quite a bit of money to add to other areas of the team.

Brooker - probably the first name on the team sheet, usually gives oposition defenders a nightmare and was Tinman's main target when trying to sign players, and certainly one of the best signings in the last few years.

Heffernan - apart from the first six games this season (when only lita played well) when he plays, he scores. Great asset to have on the bench, and if Lita gets injured can easily replace him. The only thing with Heff is that he is being absolutely wasted warming the bench, however when the bloke you are trying to replace has already got 20 goals you've got quite a job on your hands. Possible transfer away, but would get little in return, but will he want to bide his time till someone comes in for leroy?

Gillespie - still a bit of an unknown quantity, but helped turn cheltenham from midtable certainties to playoff contenders. Clearly needs a run in the side to show what he is capable of, but again unlikely to get it at the moment. My solution with Gilly would be to try using him more as an attacking midfielder, as he's clearly more creative than most of our midfield, hey he could even be tinman's long term replacement??? If not then let cheltenham have him back till the end of the season, as sitting on the bench will only frustrate him.

Miller - he's either a very good player, or scottish football's worse than we thought. Why he's never had a decent run in the side no one knows. Clearly capable of producing the goods on a consistent basis but overlooked time and time again. Baring an injury crisis he's going to be at hearts till the end of the season, then what? Based on his form up their we might be able to get a fairly decent price for him, however we could be missing out on a lot more?

Then what about Dave Cotterill?

Assuming Brooker is here for the long haul, and Lita will leave sometime over the next year (if we don't win the playoffs). That leaves Gilly, Miller, Heff and Cotterill fighting over one place (and to be first choice sub). I would reluctantly allow miller to leave (with numerous clauses added), have Heff as first choice, and use Gillespie as attacking midfielder, leaving cotterill to rot (sorry develop) as a sub.

As far as I can remember we currently have the best quality collection of forwards seen at the club in quite a long time, but seeing as only two of them can start every week (we don't do 3 up front) and one or maybe two can go on the bench, then surely over the summer one of them is going to have to go....

Lita - top scorer, likely to end up with 30 this season.  However goes through barron spells where a goal here or there would dramatically affect everyones confidence.  Now he's got an u21 call up, his values going to increase and he isn't going to settle for anything less than a starting place every week, and possibly a higher level of football:  possible transfer away, brings in quite a bit of money to add to other areas of the team.

Brooker - probably the first name on the team sheet, usually gives oposition defenders a nightmare and was Tinman's main target when trying to sign players, and certainly one of the best signings in the last few years.

Heffernan - apart from the first six games this season (when only lita played well) when he plays, he scores.  Great asset to have on the bench, and if Lita gets injured can easily replace him.  The only thing with Heff is that he is being absolutely wasted warming the bench, however when the bloke you are trying to replace has already got 20 goals you've got quite a job on your hands.  Possible transfer away, but would get little in return, but will he want to bide his time till someone comes in for leroy?

Gillespie - still a bit of an unknown quantity, but helped turn cheltenham from midtable certainties to playoff contenders.  Clearly needs a run in the side to show what he is capable of, but again unlikely to get it at the moment.  My solution with Gilly would be to try using him more as an attacking midfielder, as he's clearly more creative than most of our midfield, hey he could even be tinman's long term replacement???  If not then let cheltenham have him back till the end of the season, as sitting on the bench will only frustrate him.

Miller - he's either a very good player, or scottish football's worse than we thought.  Why he's never had a decent run in the side no one knows.  Clearly capable of producing the goods on a consistent basis but overlooked time and time again.  Baring an injury crisis he's going to be at hearts till the end of the season, then what?  Based on his form up their we might be able to get a fairly decent price for him, however we could be missing out on a lot more?

Then what about Dave Cotterill?

Assuming Brooker is here for the long haul, and Lita will leave sometime over the next year (if we don't win the playoffs).  That leaves Gilly, Miller, Heff and Cotterill fighting over one place (and to be first choice sub).  I would reluctantly allow miller to leave (with numerous clauses added), have Heff as first choice, and use Gillespie as attacking midfielder, leaving cotterill to rot (sorry develop) as a sub.

I agree with all you just said apart from one thing, Lee Miller`s attidtude is awful, I watched him play against Mangotsfield for City about November 04 and he didnt want to be there, maybe understandable, but he didnt even put in the effort that is what proved to me that he will be a no go for City, (he has quality though) With Gillespie i think he has more abitlity than Leroy Lita sounds silly with Leroy on 20 odd goals but Gillespie has real talent if he was given a season like Leroy this season I believe he would be on a similar goalscoring tally if not better than Leroy, I`d like to see more of him,

cheers, Liam, Puckle_red

Go back to the good old days and play a 2-3-5 formation  ;)

Remember Outside Left, Inside Left, Centre Forward, Inside Right, Outside Right. :(

It would make for entertaining football  :D

Remember those days, John Atyeo played in a 2-3-5 formation. He had Boxley and Hinshelwood on the wings staying wide and crossing to him. The 2 inside men helped with the defence as required and operated "in the hole" down the center. We are still in the same division with 4-4-2, and 3-5-2, so the formation is Bull, you play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses. With the old format i would use Brown-Gillespie-Brooker-Lita-Wilkshire

Archived