IGNORED

'ar Tommy To Argyle?

greenun

....from today's EP back page

In my opinion, should we receive around £300,000, this could be a good deal for City and give Doherty a chance to redeem himself and prove that he can play at the level his "talent" deserves.

ARYGYLE LINE UP DOHERTY BID

Plymouth Argyle are believed to be lining up a swoop for Bristol City midfielder Tommy Doherty.

The Championship side are keen to add weight to their midfield as they battle to stave off the threat of relegation, from promotion from League One last season.

Doherty was preparing today for a return to international action with Northern Ireland, aimimng to hit back in positive fashion following a turbulaent few days at Ashton Gate.

As has been well documented, Doherty was relieved of the team captaincy by Robins boss Brian Tinnion last week, and to compound matters was left out of the City squad that held Hull to a 1-1 draw at the weekend.

Tonight, however, Doherty is eyeing a run-out for Lawrie Sanchez's Irish in a friendly with Canada at Windsor Park, before returning to Bristol for talks to thrash out the player's future with Tinnion tomorrow.

Many fans of the tough-tackling midfield dynamo, who has made 218 appearances for his hometown, fear Doherty, whose lack of progress in the game has been hampered by injuries and illness, will hand in a transfer request.

City have insisted they don't intend instigating the release of one of their assets, but is hard to see the club in current circumstances, turning down a fee, upwards of £200,000 possibly, for a player who remains under contract for another full season but has been floored by recent events at Ashton Gate.

Plymouth lie just above the drop-zone and their manager Bobby Williamson, is considered to have placed the City player high on his wish-list.

He is also thought to have the funds necessary to give Ashton gate chiefs something to think about despite shelling out £250,000 for striker Nick Chadwick from Everton.

Queens Park Rangers boss Ian Holloway is another who would dearly like to add his fellow Bristolian to his squad, but may lack the cash to sway the City board.

Yesterday Tinnion insisted the ball was in Doherty's court but stressed that he hoped his former skipper could quickly rekindle his fitness and form to rejoin the chase for success.

If we can get 250k for him the good job.

I reckon we'd take that in a buyers market. Three hundred thousand would be better.

What if we offered Coles and Doherty for a total of £500,000?

So what you are saying is £300k is a better price to sell a player at than £250k. You may have a point there.

I see that Plymouth want him " to add weight to their midfield" - obviously Tommy's just been building himself up for this move. Perhaps they want him to add extra "puff" as well!

Guest Tangergreen
Where is their money coming frm, they've just forked out £250,000 on Everton's Luke Chadwick

Where is their money coming frm, they've just forked out £250,000 on Everton's Luke Chadwick

We've not spent any money in years and years, and have had a good two, three years now of 12k-plus crowds on a fairly regular basis. This season it has been 15k-plus.

Sturrock spent next to nothing when he was at the club, so there was a nice little kitty developing. What with this season's gates and the TV and gate money from the Everton Cup game, we've probably got at least another 300k to spend.

Saying that, another midfielder is the very LAST thing we need, so I'm not sure how much truth there is in this. It's full-backs we need, left and - more importantly - right.

I expect some "structured" deal will be done, which will mean the club sees no money up front as such, just monthly payments which is good really!

I would prefer to see him goto QPR than Plymouth though

I expect we'll sell him to Plymuff in an installment deal. When they can't

afford to pay the second installment, and Tommy is languishing in the reserves,

we'll buy him back off 'em.

I thought they'd just signed Nick Chadwick... isn't Luke Chadwick the spotty ManU player who's probably been forked out on loan somewhere again...?

Luke Chadwick Ex ManU signed by West ham in August 04

If you remember he a good looking fellow :cool:

But now he has had surgery and looks normal now :)

He no longer looks like plug from the Beano :whistle:

I expect we'll sell him to Plymuff in an installment deal. When they can't

afford to pay the second installment, and Tommy is languishing in the reserves,

we'll buy him back off 'em.

hahah, yes i expect so.

Give him a few months and we'll have him back, this seems to be the norm.

Murry

Carey

Peacock?

Roberts?

Update from today's Plymouth Herald....

BRISTOL CITY ACE TOMMY COULD BE THE NEXT MAN IN

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

12:00 - 09 February 2005

The arrival of Everton striker Nick Chadwick may not be the end of the transfer activity from Argyle manager Bobby Williamson.

The Pilgrims could be ready to make a move for Bristol City midfielder Tommy Doherty.

The 25-year-old Northern Ireland international has been stripped of the captaincy at Ashton Gate by manager Brian Tinnion.

Queens Park Rangers have already been linked with Doherty, who was not included in City's squad for the 1-1 draw at Hull City on Saturday.

But Herald Sport believes Williamson is also interested in Bristol-born Doherty.

Doherty is currently with the Northern Ireland squad preparing for their friendly international against Canada in Belfast tonight.

Tinnion stripped Doherty of the captain's armband after City lost 3-2 away to Chesterfield on January 28.

The pair will hold talks when Doherty returns from international duty, but Tinnion has made it clear he has not been satisfied with the former skipper's performances.

Tinnion told City's official website: "The international means a break for him (Doherty) from the club and a chance to think things over.

"We will meet on Thursday to discuss what's best for the future."

Tinnion added: "It's in Tommy's own hands. We want to get him fully fit and ready to play as he can. If his mind-set is right that will be the way forward."

Doherty has been at Bristol City all his professional career and made 218 first team appearances for the Robins, scoring nine goals.

Williamson was asked about possible further signings at the Press conference last night when Chadwick was unveiled by Argyle as their latest recruit.

He replied: "The jigsaw never gets completed - you are always looking to bring quality players to the club, to complement what you have already got, and I think we are doing that.

"You always keep looking. We want to retain our Championship status this season, and we are also looking to next season.

"We are looking ahead, but we cannot lose sight of what's in front of us, and that's our next game."

Williamson added: "It's my duty as the manager to try to get the best players available.

"Sometimes they are not available immediately, and in Nick's case it has been a long wait but he's here now. I hope he gets the breaks in front of goal that strikers need and I'm sure he will score goals."

Archived