IGNORED

Football Is Like

cityfan

The past is no indication of the future.

There are good managers and not so good managers.

Not everyone performs to their best ability every day of the week, every week of the year.

One bad apple can ruin the team.

Just because someone has some attitude you do not necessarily take them out of the team. A tough decision, but overall results count.

Too many changes in a short space of time can upset the balance of the team.

Too many changes mean alot of settling in time, training of new recruits and new business/productivity suffers - results in this case.

Discipline is necessary, but employees will sometimes use 'tough management' against the team/company and bring it to a stand still

Market forces and competition can hinder your own strategy and tactics - so how will we react?

Look at your own place of work - Production limes, Operationss teams, IT teams Sales/marketing teams - IS IT ANY DIFFERENT?

We all want more because it's football and it's our passion, our weekemd event and we channel our own aspirations through our team. How many of us vent like we did last night in our workplace when things don't go 100%? NOT MANY IN MY EXPERIENCE!

So remember, football is just a bunch of guys at work like you and me. Our dissapointment in our team is because our hopes and aspirations are so high

That metaphor will only get you so far.

IF BCFC was purely looked at like a business it would not be sustainable - we're running at a loss and being bailed out by the board.

Football teams continue because they thrive on supporter passion. And given the last dozen or so performances, we're about to go into adminstration, fan-base wise..

I know what angle you are coming from but the reality is that business will make decissions purely on what is the best interest of that company. Terms such as well he's been here a long time and "legend" do not come into it.

An example

In yesterday's WDP business section there is a small article about the Sales and Marketing Director at Imperial Tobacco being replaced and paid off after joining the board in 2003. So it is fair to say he wasn't in his possion for a great lenght of time. And although the article does not specifiy exactly why he went the classic line of - left by mutual consent to "pursue other oppertunities" was given, so you can draw your own conclusions.

In my own carear I have had difficulty having been promoted from the ranks and I was told in no uncertain terms that if I counldn't take the team with me, I would be replaced.

That is the reality.

Nobody more than me would like Brian Tinnion to succeed, like many I have my doubts, I do not know where he can go from here. The sabre has been rattled and following last weekends battling performance at Hull I hoped this had the desired effect. Unfortunately last night was as much about tatical ineptitude as application. The team did not have balance or know how to create chances.

As others have posted the lack of a left side of the pitch was frightning, and I do not wish to critise Scott Brown because he was just out of posistion. The sight of Lita playing left midfild in effect and Brooker chasing deep in to the midfield to hunt for the ball because of the lack of service was very concerning. No wonder the keeper had nothing to do.

In conclusion football just as business is results based and the P&L and Balance Sheet with regard to the on field performance of Bristol City, makes very depressing reading!

I agree with both of you. My fundamental point was that WE expect so much from BCFC employees, they are just employees like the rest of us, but we get so animated because we are so passionate, unlike the behaviour exhibited by many employees in their own working life. They are jusy employees, not gods!

However, for me the problem is one of players removed/left which means the team is not the team playing the fast flowing, free goalscoring football that they did. Players that have come in have not produced in the same way as past players did. 3rd in the league looks like a good performance now doesn't it!

My team now from what we have would be

Phillips

Carey Coles Ireland Fortune

Murray Doherty Wilkshire Goodfellow

Lita Heffernan

Subs

Brooker

Gillespie

Dinning

Brown

Smith

This team is no where near as good as last year, but it's the best we can do with what we have now.

Those we shouldn't have released for this season are Miller, Roberts, Butler. Theu should definitely have been kept on for this season.

Release Bell, Orr who contribute nothing to the BCFC game of football. Age for Bell and Orr because he can't play football!!

None of this of course settles the 'people issues' so that is a metter for Tinnion, the players and Mr Lansdown

I agree with both of you. My fundamental point was that WE expect so much from BCFC employees, they are just employees like the rest of us, but we get so animated because we are so passionate, unlike the behaviour exhibited by many employees in their own working life. They are jusy employees, not gods!

However, for me the problem is one of players removed/left which means the team is not the team playing the fast flowing, free goalscoring football that they did. Players that have come in have not produced in the same way as past players did. 3rd in the league looks like a good performance now doesn't it!

My team now from what we have would be

Phillips

Carey Coles Ireland Fortune

Murray Doherty Wilkshire Goodfellow

Lita Heffernan

Subs

Brooker

Gillespie

Dinning

Brown

Smith

This team is no where near as good as last year, but it's the best we can do with what we have now.

Those we shouldn't have released for this season are Miller, Roberts, Butler. Theu should definitely have been kept on for this season.

Release Bell, Orr who contribute nothing to the BCFC game of football. Age for Bell and Orr because he can't play football!!

None of this of course settles the 'people issues' so that is a metter for Tinnion, the players and Mr Lansdown

Archived