IGNORED

Tony Fawthrop

Loderingo

Can anyone remember the circumstances of when Fawthrop was briefly our manager? He resigned due to some financial scandal didn't he? He was just before Wilson I think. Was it the current board then who appointed Fawthrop - did they try the cheap option back then too?

Fawthrop failed to disclose to the board that he had run a business that subsequently went bankrupt and was sacked, he was only permanent manager for one game, a loss at home to Preston.

It was the current board who appointed him, he had previously been one of the gang of three post Pulis, with Rosenior and Burnside.

Early on it appeared that Leroy was actually in charge but he mysteriously muscled his way to the front and was appointed manager, prompting Scott Davidson's famous comment that no other club would ever have appointed him.

He is now academy director but doesn't run any teams himself.

To me he is symptomatic of the "promote from within" culture that has produced such abysmal results, he seems to have held every job here in the past 15 years.

I thought he'd be Tinnion's no 2 this Summer though, as they are good mates.

Fawthrop failed to disclose to the board that he had run a business that subsequently went bankrupt and was sacked, he was only permanent manager for one game, a loss at home to Preston.

It was the current board who appointed him, he had previously been one of the gang of three post Pulis, with Rosenior and Burnside.

Early on it appeared that Leroy was actually in charge but he mysteriously muscled his way to the front and was appointed manager, prompting Scott Davidson's famous comment that no other club would ever have appointed him.

To me he is symptomatic of the "promote from within" culture that has produced such abysmal results, he seems to have held every job here in the past 15 years.

Hum that's very interesting thanks. So if the board do replace the manger, then they could well pick another cheap option again and we'd be no better off...

Guest uncle john

Just for the record, our form under Fawthrop was top 6, and that coming straight after the Pulis era. He also took us to Wembley. And all that in 5 months. He got the best out of Thorpe, discovered Scott Murray as an attacking right winger (which we got the benefit of for years to come), and took us on a 15 match unbeaten run. Those are all facts. (well, most of them). Andy Cole in his autobiography barely mentions City but says what an influence Fawthrop had on him. High praise from a man who played under Keegan Ferguson etc etc.

In my view the issue isn't where someone comes from, it's whether they are any good. And Fawthrop was and in my view would have got us out of here by now if he had Wilson's four years. But we got seduced by a big Premiership name. Sometimes promoting from within works, and sometimes it doesn't, but I don't think you can say 'no promotions from within ever work', even if the current one is testing my faith.

The Gang of Three consisted of an ex-top class player who had previously managed at Gloucester, the Academy Director and an odd job man with a CV that included selling chips at a Mediterranean resort. Obviously the Board thought the catering needed improving.

Fawthrop's present title is Football Co-ordinator and Academy Director which I think gives him the full set in 'happy families'

The Gang of Three consisted of

1. An ex-top class player who had previously managed at Gloucester (Rosienior)

2. The Academy Director (Burnside)

3. An odd job man with a CV that included selling chips at a Mediterranean resort.(Fawthrop)

Obviously the Board thought the catering needed improving.

Fawthrop's present title is Football Co-ordinator and Academy Director which I think gives him the full set in 'happy families'

Amended message to clear up any cynical confusion.

:unsure:

:) :Laugh4:

Much to do with setting up Cardiff's academy I think.

He has also remained good friedns with lots of people who used to be involved with City. Helps out with a lot of the players who didn't quite make it like Matt Hale to help them develop coaching school, and always seems to have his eyes open to new coaching opportunities.

Archived