IGNORED

Want "bristol" City Back?

Puckle_red

Just watched the Bristol City video, of the times we were good. Maybe it was 25-30 years ago but 5 Bristol boys, 4 Scottish and the two from up north. the video went over and over the fact that it may not have been the most talented side but they worked hard.

Straight away this made me think, Danny Coles, Matty Hill,Tommy Doch, Louis Carey, Steve Phillips (almost Bristol), and even though I was one of the blokes main critics Joe Burnell.

Many similarities apart from Tommy, they are not the most talented bunch of players but they sure wanted it for Bristol City Football Club. Out of these players Tommy Doherty no doubt you`ll agree had/has the most talent. Then you bring in you non-Bristol more capable players in and build your squad. Danny Wilson I hear you cry?

Anyway the reason I created this was for hope not for a moan. I would love to see Bristol city up there with the big boys in the near future. I hope we can turn things around bring in some Bristol born players and not every time we get in a bad way, have to buy a new player because that it not the right way about it in my books. That one bright spark is all we need at this football club and I am sure we can climb the Divisions.

Lets get behind the team and try to work this out together. Keep following because one day our dreams will come true. What are your veiws on the future of Bristol City Football Club? Can we be playing the top team again one day?

Thanks, Come on you Reds! Puckle_Red/Liam.

Just watched the Bristol City video, of the times we were good. Maybe it was 25-30 years ago but 5 Bristol boys, 4 Scottish and the two from up north. the video went over and over the fact that it may not have been the most talented side but they worked hard.

Straight away this made me think, Danny Coles, Matty Hill,Tommy Doch, Louis Carey, Steve Phillips (almost Bristol), and even though I was one of the blokes main critics Joe Burnell.

Many similarities apart from Tommy, they are not the most talented bunch of players but they sure wanted it for Bristol City Football Club. Out of these players Tommy Doherty no doubt you`ll agree had/has the most talent. Then you bring in you non-Bristol more capable players in and build your squad. Danny Wilson I hear you cry?

Anyway the reason I created this was for hope not for a moan. I would love to see Bristol city up there with the big boys in the near future. I hope we can turn things around bring in some Bristol born players and not every time we get in a bad way, have to buy a new player because that it not the right way about it in my books. That one bright spark is all we need at this football club and I am sure we can climb the Divisions.

Lets get behind the team and try to work this out together. Keep following because one day our dreams will come true. What are your veiws on the future of Bristol City Football Club? Can we be playing the top team again one day?

Thanks, Come on you Reds! Puckle_Red/Liam.

Brilliant post Puckle-red.

I was lucky enough to watch the team to which you refer. Can probably name the typical team now.

Cashley (Bristol)

Sweeney (Scot)

Drysdale (Geordie)

Merrick (Bristol)

Collier (Bristol

Tainton (Bristol)

Gow (Scot)

Mann (Northener)

Whitehead (Brummie, I think)

Cheesley (Bristol)

Ritchie (Scot)

Others used on a regular basis and/or subs were

Gillies (Scot)

Fear (Bristol)

Days to be proud of Bristol, as was the last 2/3 seasons before this one.

Lets get behind the team you say. Despite what has happened this season, which mostly has been a shambles, I couldnt agree more. It is possible to disagree with what has happened but still give the manager and players your support. As long as they're here, there's no point doing otherwise. But get ready now for the negative brigade to taint your post.

NickJ

:D:laugh:;);):):wacko::wacko::wacko::city:

More and more difficult to get in the top flight these days, but it is possible. That team was built up over a number of years, most starting in the youth team. During the time of them "Maturing" there were some pretty lean years. The chant most heard was "Dicks out"!!!

BUT The late great Harry Dolman was having none of it and stuck by Alan Dicks, and the rest is history.

Slow but sure progress, sticking by the Manager, blending the best of the youth within the club and adding from outside to fill the gaps.

I Honestly thought under Danny Wilson that we were starting that process over again, I could really see some similarity from that time.

Dick's was constantly critisised for playing players out of position, playing "favourites"......keeping players in the reserves. Who am I talking about?....Ray Cashley, full back to goalkeeper. Gerry Gow..was hounded by the fans because he could not pass water. Paul Cheesely, kept in the reserves until ready. Tainton, Sweeney and Whitehead played full back, winger and midfield as and when suited.

The only way for a club like ours to progress is along these lines. This should have been recognised by the board and fans alike.

Stick by the manager making progress however small...because it is an awfull lot easier to slide the other way !!!!!!........as we are now finding out.

Guest ashtonyate
Ah - the days when a 'foreigner' consisted of a canny wee scotsman!

I can remember those day when you felt your team could win anywhere they had a look of quality when ever they played. But the first 4 years under Dicks was not all that great but they jelled into a good side in the end.

When I see what has happend to my club over the last 20 years its enough to make me want to cry.We had manager come and go, boards have come and gone, who promised us prem football in 5 years and god no what else.

I seen players come and go most of which were not worth the money we paid for them and all telling us what a big club we are. I see us wasting loads of money on the academy with little result.

Then some jock last night tells me city fan are fickel I think the city fans are hard done by and should get better than they get at the moment.

The biggest problem is I see no end to it one disapointment after another.

Brilliant post Puckle-red.

I was lucky enough to watch the team to which you refer. Can probably name the typical team now.

Cashley    (Bristol)

Sweeney    (Scot)

Drysdale  (Geordie)

Merrick    (Bristol)

Collier    (Bristol

Tainton    (Bristol)

Gow        (Scot)

Mann      (Northener)

Whitehead  (Brummie, I think)

Cheesley  (Bristol)

Ritchie    (Scot)

Others used on a regular basis and/or subs were

Gillies    (Scot)

Fear      (Bristol)

Days to be proud of Bristol, as was the last 2/3 seasons before this one.

Lets get behind the team you say. Despite what has happened this season, which mostly has been a shambles, I couldnt agree more. It is possible to disagree with what has happened but still give the manager and players your support. As long as they're here, there's no point doing otherwise. But get ready now for the negative brigade to taint your post.

NickJ

:D  :laugh:  ;)  ;)  :)  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :city:

Thankyou NickJ, as you can read from my profile, you will see I wasn`t even alive when this happened my Dad has told me so much about the glory days, which frustrates me more and more simply because I do know what a big club we can/should be. Maybe Tinnion wasn`t the right choice thats history he is our manager and having him being in Bristol for 11 years+ is proof to me that he has the desire and love towards this club. I am not going to get into the debate of stay or go, I am actually looking forward to next season when he has more time on his hands (not playing) to get things right.

The one thing about this season that makes me have a smile to myself is that, I think next season he might get it spot on and we will grow and grow as a club once more,

Keep faith in the Club, Puckle_red/Liam

Guest Tactical Genius

>loudhailer<

put the 1970's down and move away from the top flight with your hands in the air. now, on the floor. keep your hands where i can see them.

Guest ashtonyate
>loudhailer<

put the 1970's down and move away from the top flight with your hands in the air. now, on the floor. keep your hands where i can see them.

Yea them days are long gone and never to return just think of it Liverpool V City 37,000 in the ground and we beat them good old Chris Garland.Back to sleep and dream a bit more.

Guest ashtonyate
Why are you getting wistful about Scottish players?? According to some of our fans the average Scottish player should be plying his trade in Mangotsfield Reserves and not the heady heights of League One.

We are talking when Scotland had good players not now you name me one who we would know down here not including Miller.

Archived