IGNORED

Who To Buy?

Ecko

I need about 3 or 4 players in my bristol team. just got promoted as champions to the Championship but i sold miller and heff both for 1.2m. Can you give me any tips who to buy. i need a goal scorer and a play maker in midfield and a decent defender.

Also whats a good formation to play?

I have 3.7m to spend

Cheers,

• Admin
Idon't know about players, but a good formation to play if you are in a relagation battle is:

4-1-4-1.

Play four at the back, with one, defensive midfielder between the midfield and the back four.

Works every time.

Releagtion battle? You may be used to those being a Gashead but I myself prefer not to enter into them if at all possible.....

....as such, I use a 4132 myself as I love buying strikers and hate only being able to pick one of them :city:

You can use my 4132 if you like but to get the best out of it you have to buy specific types of players to "fit" with the formation. It's an overall philosophy rather than a mere formation if you will, with my Academy and Reserve sides using it too for continuity throughout the club....

All players must have passing/stamina/workrate & teamwork of at least 10 to even be considered.

Defenders are pretty much the same throughout the formations: I look for tackling/heading/marking/jumping above 14 with at least 2 of those being above 16. Ideally they will have passing of 10 or above and if they're a full back then I like a bit of creativity/dribbling above 10 too.

Midfielders must have creativity/tackling of 10 or above and be able to play in the centre. Ideally I'll have a sprinkling of midfielders who are LC or RC and having a RLC is brilliant on the bench. Obviously the defensive midfielder would have higher defensive attributes but I prefer any midfield targets to be either AM's or F's. Crossing/Dribbling have to be 10 or higher too.

In Attack I like to try and have a few powerful strikers and a few fast strikers. Obviously finishing must be high but off the ball/positioning/composure/decisions/strength and technique all have a bearing on my decision. When picking the side, if possible, I like to use left footers in the left hand strike position and right footers in the other. I'm not fussed as to which one is the stronger striker.

How it looks:

auroraoverview4yn.gif

In Game Tweaking:

Now a lot of this is actually utilising real life experience of watching football and applying it to what you see in the tactics. For example I mainly use a counter attacking policy when using this formation and if I find that the opposition are defending deep and I don't see many instances of getting in behind their side I'll change my team instructions to make my defensive line deeper so as to drag their side into my half a little more to exploit on the counter. I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

Basically I play around with different sliders based on what I see before me but rarely change tackling or pressing. If a side is blatantly all over me then it's patently obvious that counter attacking is not working and I'll uncheck it so I can get a bit more possession and more breathing space. Often I'll combine this with using a targetman or playmaker, sometimes both. Sometimes I'll use them WITH the counter attack as well.....

Substitutions:

A lot of people complain about the amount of injuries in the game and when I ask how often they make subs they reply "oh I rarely bother with them". Let me set this straight ALWAYS USE ALL 3 SUBS. I can't say for sure but I've never felt that the injuries in my games are much worse than in real life, ok I get frustrated when my star player, ol'Freddie, suffers an injury upon returning from a previous injury but that happens in real life too.

Unless a player is having a real stinker I'll look to sub my 3 lowest stamina players off between the 60th and 75th minutes. Sometimes you'll then suffer an injury and be reduced to 10 men (usually against Arsenal :@ ) but it is very rare. The only exception to this (ignoring stinkers) is if I'm a couple of goals up and have a big game round the corner when I'll sub off whom I believe to be my most important players for that next game.

Obviously the best way to watch the players stamina is to use the split screen mode. I use the left hand side to view the pitch and the right hand side to view home or away stats in the second half. In the first half I just have the overall match stats on the rhs so I can quickly see if I'm dominating or not.

Like this:

splitview9pm.jpg

Tactic Download:

4132 AuroraII Tactic

Just unzip the file and place it in the tactics folder that FM has created in "My Documents". Then Import the tactic from your tactics screen.

Players In:

Obviously the Division I was in and finishing positions are self explanatory but "still here" means "still an active member of my first team squad" not necessarily just still here at the club as some of the more recent players were ones for the future and some of the older buys fill up my reserves now.

players3mp.jpg

I hope some of this comes in handy. If I've come across as patronising, it wasn't intended, I've never done anything in depth like this before and thought it best if I just cover all the main items.

I could have touched upon training and coaches as well as always scouting the opposition as well but I've already touched upon those in previous posts so if you're really interested in them then just search the posts on this forum......

Releagtion battle? You may be used to those being a Gashead but I myself prefer not to enter into them if at all possible.....

....as such, I use a 4132 myself as I love buying strikers and hate only being able to pick one of them  :city:

You can use my 4132 if you like but to get the best out of it you have to buy specific types of players to "fit" with the formation. It's an overall philosophy rather than a mere formation if you will, with my Academy and Reserve sides using it too for continuity throughout the club....

All players must have passing/stamina/workrate & teamwork of at least 10 to even be considered.

Defenders are pretty much the same throughout the formations: I look for tackling/heading/marking/jumping above 14 with at least 2 of those being above 16. Ideally they will have passing of 10 or above and if they're a full back then I like a bit of creativity/dribbling above 10 too.

Midfielders must have creativity/tackling of 10 or above and be able to play in the centre. Ideally I'll have a sprinkling of midfielders who are LC or RC and having a RLC is brilliant on the bench. Obviously the defensive midfielder would have higher defensive attributes but I prefer any midfield targets to be either AM's or F's. Crossing/Dribbling have to be 10 or higher too.

In Attack I like to try and have a few powerful strikers and a few fast strikers. Obviously finishing must be high but off the ball/positioning/composure/decisions/strength and technique all have a bearing on my decision. When picking the side, if possible, I like to use left footers in the left hand strike position and right footers in the other. I'm not fussed as to which one is the stronger striker.

How it looks:

auroraoverview4yn.gif

In Game Tweaking:

Now a lot of this is actually utilising real life experience of watching football and applying it to what you see in the tactics. For example I mainly use a counter attacking policy when using this formation and if I find that the opposition are defending deep and I don't see many instances of getting in behind their side I'll change my team instructions to make my defensive line deeper so as to drag their side into my half a little more to exploit on the counter. I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

Basically I play around with different sliders based on what I see before me but rarely change tackling or pressing. If a side is blatantly all over me then it's patently obvious that counter attacking is not working and I'll uncheck it so I can get a bit more possession and more breathing space. Often I'll combine this with using a targetman or playmaker, sometimes both. Sometimes I'll use them WITH the counter attack as well.....

Substitutions:

A lot of people complain about the amount of injuries in the game and when I ask how often they make subs they reply "oh I rarely bother with them". Let me set this straight ALWAYS USE ALL 3 SUBS. I can't say for sure but I've never felt that the injuries in my games are much worse than in real life, ok I get frustrated when my star player, ol'Freddie, suffers an injury upon returning from a previous injury but that happens in real life too.

Unless a player is having a real stinker I'll look to sub my 3 lowest stamina players off between the 60th and 75th minutes. Sometimes you'll then suffer an injury and be reduced to 10 men (usually against Arsenal  :@ ) but it is very rare. The  only exception to this (ignoring stinkers) is if I'm a couple of goals up and have a big game round the corner when I'll sub off whom I believe to be my most important players for that next game.

Obviously the best way to watch the players stamina is to use the split screen mode. I use the left hand side to view the pitch and the right hand side to view home or away stats in the second half. In the first half I just have the overall match stats on the rhs so I can quickly see if I'm dominating or not.

Like this:

splitview9pm.jpg

Tactic Download:

4132 AuroraII Tactic

Just unzip the file and place it in the tactics folder that FM has created in "My Documents". Then Import the tactic from your tactics screen.

Players In:

Obviously the Division I was in and finishing positions are self explanatory but "still here" means "still an active member of my first team squad" not necessarily just still here at the club as some of the more recent players were ones for the future and some of the older buys fill up my reserves now.

players3mp.jpg

I hope some of this comes in handy. If I've come across as patronising, it wasn't intended, I've never done anything in depth like this before and thought it best if I just cover all the main items.

I could have touched upon training and coaches as well as always scouting the opposition as well but I've already touched upon those in previous posts so if you're really interested in them then just search the posts on this forum......

Wow! Thanks alot Madger but i still can't unzip the tactics? And what formation did you play in the championship? Sorry to bother you! Thanks

• Admin
Wow! Thanks alot Madger but i still can't unzip the tactics? And what formation did you play in the championship? Sorry to bother you! Thanks

That formation has been with me since my League One days though it has progressed a lot since then (changing all the personal instructions etc) to what it is now.

Not sure why you can't unzip it. Have you got a program to unzip files or is the zip corrupt as I've just downloaded it and unzipped it ok on my PC.

• Admin
Does anyone know any good defensive tactics? Basically sit behind the ball and nick games 1-0 as my team likes to draw 4-4 alot.

That formation is fairly defensive AND offensive.

I think my worst season was my first Premiership season where I conceded just under a goal a game on average.

• Admin

I also signed Christian Grindheim from Haugesund for £300k in my opening season but he doesn't seem to appear on the list :)

Here's the value of my current squad in 2009 as a guide to help you see who in particular is doing well of the players I've signed....

currentsquad5bd.jpg

Well I was after another striker and got an email saying boyd was unhappy at hartlepool.  He was worth 750k and had scored loads, I wayed 650k for him and when he arrived, he had gone down to 250k! Doh! :)

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for anyone until you're in the Premiership. There are far better bargains if you shop around.

If you want a striker, try Maciej Korzym, Ingemar Teever or Derek Riordan. Or for a cheap option, Luke Varney from Crewe.

As many others have found, half way through the 1st season City were taken over and transfer funds were released. I also sold Lita to Pompey for £975k :ph34r:

Sorry for bothering you madger, but can you remember your line up for leauge 1 and the championship was and what database do you use???

• Admin
Sorry for bothering you madger, but can you remember your line up for leauge 1 and the championship, what formation did you use for league one and championship and what database did you use

Used 4132 throughout, just tweaked it each year, gradually making it better and better to what it is now. For example, if I started again now I would go straight in with my current formation and expect it to outperform the record I got before.

Can't remember my exact line up off hand but I'll try and research it again later....

Phillips was definitely my keeper, Amankwaah RB, Doherty DMC......think I used Hill at LB. Wilkshire was definitely in the middle 3....then I'd look at the signings I made....

Used 4132 throughout, just tweaked it each year, gradually making it better and better to what it is now. For example, if I started again now I would go straight in with my current formation and expect it to outperform the record I got before.

Can't remember my exact line up off hand but I'll try and research it again later....

Phillips was definitely my keeper, Amankwaah RB, Doherty DMC......think I used Hill at LB. Wilkshire was definitely in the middle 3....then I'd look at the signings I made....

I bid 950k for holm and Valegren (sp) accept it but then when i offer him, he wants more than 4,300 a week!! What was your contract offer for him?

• Admin
I bid 950k for holm and Valegren (sp) accept it but then when i offer him, he wants more than 4,300 a week!! What was your contract offer for him?

No idea, but possibly less than that.

I would try all the things like yearly rise, promotion rise, sign on fee, goal bonus, assist bonus, and set a min fee but fairly high £10m (you'll sign him on a contract extension once promoted anyway and get rid of the clause) and see if that helps.

Freddie is worth pulling ALL the stops out for.

My only problem with him is that I don't have 5 of him!

No idea, but possibly less than that.

I would try all the things like yearly rise, promotion rise, sign on fee, goal bonus, assist bonus, and set a min fee but fairly high £10m (you'll sign him on a contract extension once promoted anyway and get rid of the clause) and see if that helps.

Freddie is worth pulling ALL the stops out for.

My only problem with him is that I don't have 5 of him!

I've got your tactics madger but i keep losing. This is my team:

Phillips in goal

Amnkwah RB

Coles CB

Gillman CB

Hill LB

Guarin DMC

Murray on the right

Wilkshire in the middle

Bell on the left

Miller SC

Scorza SC

i finally got holm joining me on the 1st of Jan but i still cant seem to win. I'm 17th in League one. Have you got any ideas of where i went wrong?

Cheers

I'm in 2010 with City but still haven't been able to get hold of Holm  :dunno:

He was just on a free but Dortmund out bid me due to my tight fisted board only giving me £21,500k a week to bid with  :@

How much is he worth and how much wages does he want?

Archived