IGNORED

Observations From Saturday...

Boxing Kangaroo

My observations from Saturday's game...

Layer Road has to be the worst ground I've had the fortune to visit (and it was freezing cold).

Gerken in goal for the U's had the best 'sheephead' I've seen this season.

That was the best City have played for months, I think the last time we played that well was against Tranmere at home back at the start of November. We had a pace and energy in the team, Tommy Doherty and Scott Brown were dominating the midfield, we looked threatening up front and pretty solid at the back.

Steve Phillips in goal was as solid as ever. He made one great save in the 1st half, even his kicking was pretty good for once. He's got to get that mullet sorted out though !! Carey, Coles, Ireland and Bell all played well. It was good to see Carey back in as an RB, he looked good going forward and did lots of good work helping out Cotterill down the right wing. Danny Coles was almost back to his best and looked very solid alongside Ireland. Ireland had another solid game. Bell had a pretty good game as well.

Cotterill as a right winger did very well in the 1st half before fading in the 2nd half. Considering the kid is an out-and-out striker he did well out wide. Shame he couldn't convert the golden chances in the 1st half. I think that affected his confidence a bit but surely his time will come and he's worth another start on Tuesday night. On the left Wilkshire did okay but didn't have his best game in a red shirt, how he missed that sitter in front of us City fans in the 1st half I'll never know !! Tommy Doc and Scott Brown in the middle were superb. I think Saturday was Tommy's best game this season by a country mile, he looked sharp, determined, hungry for the ball. It was as if the Tommy Doc of old was back. He even came close to scoring at one point with a long range effort that 'sheephead' did well to save. Shame Tommy picked up another yellow, it was a deserved booking although he was provoked by Ndumbu-Nsungu (sp ?). Scott Brown was also superb, he showed plenty of energy and was good both going forward and when performing his defensive duties. He didn't stop running all day, centre midfield seems to be his best position by far.

Lita and Brooker up front were a threat all afternoon. Brooker was unlucky with an effort that hit the bar early in the 1st half. He went on to have a pretty solid game and took his goal well. Lita was superb, full of running all afternoon and his goal was different gravy. If you haven't seen it on TV yet he basically ran with the ball from the halfway line went past about 6 Colchester players before finishing with great aplomb.

The 3 young subs did okay but didn't really have an impact on the game. Golbourne came on and played left midfield. Cole Skuse played in the centre of midfield and did well to help shore up the middle of the park and secure the game. Anyinsah was only on the pitch for about 3 mins, to be honest I can't remember him touching the ball.

All in all a good result but it's only a good result if we follow it up with wins against Oldham and Blackpool before the trip to Luton. Looks like the next batch of youngsters coming through could be very useful in the future.

My plea to Tinkerman Tinnion is don't make wholesale changes for tomorrow night's game. The one change I can see him making is recalling Smith in place of Coles, other than that we should stick with the same team.

I know it's only one game but I feel my optimism coming back, let's hope it's not cruelly shattered tomorrow night !!

C'mon you Reds !!

Boxing Kangaroo.

If you haven't seen it on TV yet he basically ran with the ball from the halfway line went past about 6 Colchester players before finishing with great aplomb.

Very comprehensive report back thanks for taking the trouble.

I have always loved the word "APLOMB" try saying it out loud it feels great! I defy anybody to say it with out doinga Rowan Atkinson impression.:D:)

I too thought we played very well Saturday though it has to be said that Colchester under-performed. Tommy was back to his best-form, breaking up play, a few tricks and the now obligatory booking. Scott Brown also played well and whilst not yet up to Tommys standard does tend to get forward more which gives the central mid a balanced feel.

I thought that Wilkshire did not have a great game. If we do eventually bring in a left-winger it may become a problem accomodating him in the team unless he can add some steel to his game.

I reckon 10 wins out of 13 to get into the play-offs.

I think the atmosphere was good as well but got a bit fed up with a few guys stood near me who every 2 minutes kept chanting Fagan is a ##**er. I was standing right by the near post and I enjoyed myself shame about the weather which there was snow/sleet at one point even. Tommy's booking was a joke, Danns should have been sent off for violent conduct. Tommy and Colesy showed just what they could do as well, the fans were very supportive towards them as well which was good as I was expecting a small minority to be abusive. As I said to Geoff Twentyman on the phone in Ireland, Coles and Carey had a good understandinig together and looked solid. I think Phillips won us the game in the first half with that great save if that had gone in I couldn't see us getting back in it. But overall it was a great day out and I enjoyed every minute and it was a very promising performance.

I thought the 'rebels' were quality and proved a point. A solid all round performance and thought Brown had his best game for the club in a central role. Only change I would make is Fortune for Bell. Respect to Steve L for coming to the pub pre game and getting amongst the fans to guage the current mood.

Archived