IGNORED

Away Fans Switch Query

SimplyRed

Apologies if this has been asked before - but I didn't see it and would be interested in the general opinion.

If visiting fans are going to be put in the Atyeo when the new stand opens, does that mean the players will have to run out amongst the away support?

It seems a bit odd to me to have players entering the field from the away end? Does any other professional team do this?

I'd be interested in the official view - if any - and also fan's opinions...

Apologies if this has been asked before - but I didn't see it and would be interested in the general opinion.

If visiting fans are going to be put in the Atyeo when the new stand opens, does that mean the players will have to run out amongst the away support?

It seems a bit odd to me to have players entering the field from the away end?  Does any other professional team do this?

I think the idea is that the Atyeo would be split so that City fans would occupy a section including the tunnel.

I'd like to think that a permanent home could be made for them in the Williams, leaving both ends for home support. At the moment it is the last area, apart from the East End, to fill with home fans.

I sit in the GWR Stand and i would not want thousands of away fans directly to my right. A huge, unsightly barrier would have to be erected between the Dolman and the Atyeo whereas now it is so open you can just chat to people in the Atyeo at half time.

I have got used to leaving the ground in the company of City fans only, and don't want to get caught up with the "banter" between the two sets of departing fans or the inevitable, if occasional, repeats of the old brawls outside and in the park.

Of course i could move to the new stand and avoid all this. However i'm now accustomed to a side view and would not want to change it. Put them in the Williams and only one new fence or partition would be needed as the new stand is self-contained. Put them in half of the Atyeo and it would have to be spilt and policed in the same way as the East End apparently can't be now. The whole stand would be uglified by two new fences and the corner i now sit in would be a magnet for any supporters of either side who were looking for more from their afternoon out than just a game of football.

I saw the seats flying over from the Dolman in the 80's when Millwall were in the Open End. With the 2 stands now adjoining each other, imagine the changes in security and sterile areas that would have to be enforced to prevent similar. Hardly an increase in capacity at all, the Family Stand would be deserted or fenced off, and i hope the Club think again.

Guest WillsbridgeRed
I think the idea is that the Atyeo would be split so that City fans would occupy a section including the tunnel.

I'd like to think that a permanent home could be made for them in the Williams, leaving both ends for home support. At the moment it is the last area, apart from the East End, to fill with home fans.

I sit in the GWR Stand and i would not want thousands of away fans directly to my right. A huge, unsightly barrier would have to be erected between the Dolman and the Atyeo whereas now it is so open you can just chat to people in the Atyeo at half time.

I have got used to leaving the ground in the company of City fans only, and don't want to get caught up with the "banter" between the two sets of departing fans or the inevitable, if occasional, repeats of the old brawls outside and in the park.

Of course i could move to the new stand and avoid all this. However i'm now accustomed to a side view and would not want to change it. Put them in the Williams and only one new fence or partition would be needed as the new stand is self-contained. Put them in half of the Atyeo and it would have to be spilt and policed in the same way as the East End apparently can't be now. The whole stand would be uglified by two new fences and the corner i now sit in would be a magnet for any supporters of either side who were looking for more from their afternoon out than just a game of football.

I saw the seats flying over from the Dolman in the 80's when Millwall were in the Open End. With the 2 stands now adjoining each other, imagine the changes in security and sterile areas that would have to be enforced to prevent similar. Hardly an increase in capacity at all, the Family Stand would be deserted or fenced off, and i hope the Club think again.

Talk about exageration!

Fences and barriers> None of it is needed.

Your post is negative in the extreme

Talk about exageration!

Fences and barriers> None of it is needed.

Your post is negative in the extreme

So tell me how advancing the idea that the away fans would have to be segregated from City fans is so negative?

A fence or barrier would be required as separation in the middle of the Atyeo, that's almost certain. The huge fence put up in the East End last year, as well as the sterile areas, proves that the club will take no chances there. Similarly there is no real division at present between the Dolman/GWR and the H Block corner of the Atyeo, where the away fans would be, and it's inconceivable that it could be left as open as it is now. Two new fences then, i'd imagine.

I hope my post didn't give the impression that i'm negative about the new stand as that's not the case. I fail to see how my post could be construed as negative in any other way. My point is there would be much less disruption to the Stadium, and the match day experience of the majority of City fans, if permanent arrangements were to be made for the away fans in the Williams from next season.

It seems a bit odd to me to have players entering the field from the away end?  Does any other professional team do this?

Another way would be if the new stand included changing rooms and a tunnel :ph34r: mmm seems a bit unlikely.

where did they emerge from before the Ateyo?

Just posted this on the ask steve forum to find outif there is a plan (or not)  :P

Saab, have you read this thread?

The "plan", as i understand it, is to segregate the Atyeo, with City fans occupying up to and including the tunnel, and the away fans stretching across the other side right up to the Dolman.

Hence all my "negative exaggerations" about fences and barriers.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

But where do you get this idea that fences will need to be installed? YOu don't see them anywhere but Ashton Gate and Cardiff - And only one of the clubs need fences.

I reckon we should just stick the away fans in the corner of the williams and keep them there. And if they are put in the atyeo they should be the dolman side not by the tunnel. When the williams is redeveloped they should think about putting the away fans in there , make a proper place for them so no segregation is needed , it would be good if they made a three teared stand so we could just put them in one of the tears and they would be out of the way. But thats very unlikely i know.

But where do you get this idea that fences will need to be installed?  YOu don't see them anywhere but Ashton Gate and Cardiff - And only one of the clubs need fences.

The club has decreed that the East End must have one now, so it's very likely the new stand will too.

Whether you or i think they will be necessary is neither here nor there.

But i suspect the club would not like the prospect of Millwall, Rovers, Cardiff, Stoke etc. in H Block of the Atyeo with City fans a few yards away in an unsegregated Dolman. So netting in the middle and one big fence at the end at the very least i'd imagine.

The easiest thing would be to give them a permanent section at the end of the Enclosure/Grandstand with some netting or fencing on the one side they would be close to City fans. Less disruption for us fans and less uglifying of the ground too.

There is no need for fencing inside Ashton Gate because the actual risk of any real trouble or violence is extremely small. It isn't the 80's, if the game is boring there is not going to be an attempt from the away fans to take the Dullmoan. If we're walking out through the exits and an away fan gives us some verbal or a hand-jester there isn't going to be an impulsive and spectacular surge.

Why have a fence inside the ground separating supporters yet as-soon as we step outside we'll have to mingle shoulder to shoulder.

As Willsbridge said, “You don't see them anywhere but Ashton Gate and Cardiff - And only one of the clubs need fences.”

I didn't say i am pro-fences.

If you're not going to have any though then a large measure of re-building will be needed between the Atyeo and the Dolman.

The violence we occasionally see is nothing to do with a boring game, or taking an "end". Some people, like at Hull, will take the opportunity for violence when it arises. Unless we put the away fans right out the way somewhere ( the Enclosure) then it will kick-off when fans are in close proximity with no safeguards.

This applies now to Sheff. Weds., Hull, Stoke, Cardiff, Rovers etc., let alone if we hope to be higher up with Wolves, Brum, Leeds et al.

The answer is to keep both ends City and put the away fans in a corner, preferably where they are reasonably close to their coaches.

Why put them in the Williams Block E when that is the only place with an atmosphere at the moment? Without that small singing section, you could hear a pin drop.

Look Stylus, i reckon you and the Subbers do a great job vocally supporting City.

But you're going to have to move next season anyway.

The season after, why not get tickets en masse in the new stand, where if i had my way you'd still be able to exchange banter with the away fans not too far away in the enclosure?

Just swapping places, that's all.

Why not put them in the side of the Atyeo next to the Williams Stand,put some netting over the seats that our on the back of the club shop, then theres a decent gap before the williams. Also put a bit of netting around the first two seats around the players tunnel.And also have the white extendable tunnel come right out onto the pitch.

Why put them in the Williams Block E when that is the only place with an atmosphere at the moment? Without that small singing section, you could hear a pin drop.

You must be in cuckoo land if you think the William's block E is the only place with an atmosphere,I am in H block Ateyo and we might hear you once perhaps twice,your very very quiet,it's all to do with acoustic's in the E block you are too far up,you may think you are loud but I assure you you are definitaly NOT :dunno:

Archived