IGNORED

Smith

Geesus the City fan

Not a good performance from our on field captain again today. Very poor distribution and bailed out several times in the 2nd half by an excellent Louis Carey.

The experienced players, Dining, Brooker, and Smith (excluded Bell as very good in 1st half and he's far to old to have a go at!) all went missing when needed in todays game.

Another thread calls for an apology from Dining for his 'contribution' perhaps the same from Smith?

ureds

Not a good performance from our on field captain again today. Very poor distribution and bailed out several times in the 2nd half by an excellent Louis Carey.

The experienced players, Dining, Brooker, and Smith (excluded Bell as very good in 1st half and he's far to old to have a go at!) all went missing when needed in todays game.

Another thread calls for an apology from Dining for his 'contribution' perhaps the same from Smith?

ureds

No apology needed from Smith. The difference between him and Dinning is that Smith always trys his best. If he aint up to it sometimes than OK, criticse. But don't slag him off in the same breath as Dinning.

How do you know Dining isnt trying his best? & for that matter that Smith is??

If that is Dinning's best, he should drop to the Downs League. It is obvious to me, at least, that Smith puts his heart into his performance. It may not always get the right result, but I'd rather have a team full of players with Smith's application than Dinning's.

Guest fatherdougal

For me, Carey was the best we had at the back, (and I was a bit of a doubter

when he was first put in there). He scooped up most of what was launched at him,

and didn't just react with a give-away, or an aimless ball, the way Coles does,

far too much of the time. Some of the marking looked horrendous though. For a lot of the second half, Blackpool had either Burns or Bullock just sat in front of the 18 yard box virtually as a free agent. It seemed elementary stuff to me,

but doubtless City will have their excuses.

How do you know Dining isnt trying his best? & for that matter that Smith is??

Because of the lack of effort that any fan can see in Dinning's game now, compared to when he wanted a contract.

Ok I'm going to stick my neck on the line here - I thought Dinning had a good game against Oldham, and had a decent first half today. He's starting to put in a few crosses that you'd expect to see from Tinnion. Yes he was annonymus for most of the second half, but then he wasn't the only one was he?

He has had better games for us prior to signing permanently, but hasn't been as bad as some have made out in the past few games.

I think we're coming down with a bit of the Joe Burnell syndrome - it's always his fault as long as he's playing.

Coles and carey very good today - but Howard will tear 'em to pieces next week. Ireland or Evatt needed in time for that.

Smith I thought did ok - I obviously don't see how bad he is compared to everyone else. He made his tackles and did his best going forward - yeah he was covered a bit by Carey in second half but that was as a result of pushing further forward to try and get a winner.

He wasnt helped today by Cotterrill understandably looking a bit tired during his third game in a week and Murray........well where do you start with him!! :city:

I've posted elsewhere on Dinning good first half along with everybody else. Poor second half. Along with everyone else.

It seems to me that Smith is targeted by many on here and in the stands and I am struggling to understand why.

He makes errors, granted, however, who doesn't (Phillipps fans will surely agree with that?).

For me, he is our most tenacious tackler and makes a "good fist" of getting forward and supporting the attack.

More importantly that all this is that he is our Captain. He was named Captain at a time when things were going so badly that our Manager called every player in one by one to see if they had the spirit and desire to fight for this club.

It seems (to me at least) that Smith must have been right up there on the passion front to have been given the honour to captain our club.

Surely for this reason alone, he deserves a bit more respect than some seem to be affording him?

He obviously wants to be here and he gives it his all on the pitch, albeit with the odd clanger dropped along the way. That's good enough for me!

It seems to me that Smith is targeted by many on here and in the stands and I am struggling to understand why.

He makes errors, granted, however, who doesn't (Phillipps fans will surely agree with that?).

For me, he is our most tenacious tackler and makes a "good fist" of getting forward and supporting the attack.

More importantly that all this is that he is our Captain.  He was named Captain at a time when things were going so badly that our Manager called every player in one by one to see if they had the spirit and desire to fight for this club.

It seems (to me at least) that Smith must have been right up there on the passion front to have been given the honour to captain our club.

Surely for this reason alone, he deserves a bit more respect than some seem to be affording him?

He obviously wants to be here and he gives it his all on the pitch, albeit with the odd clanger dropped along the way.  That's good enough for me!

So all the ingrediants for a ready made Captain ?

Manager calls in all his squad & those that show the biggest tongue - get the band? :city:

Ability & consistancy to succeed - Louis Carey. :grr:

Smith is isn't half the right-back Carey is. Carey was voted into Division Two XI, can you see Smith being voted into it this season??

Carey also invariably gives 100% a game and is IMO far better at going forward and linking with our right midfielder than Smith is. I don't dispute that Smith tries hard but fail to see what he brings to the team apart from commitment.

Archived