IGNORED

Somerset Sign Jayasuriya

StapleHillPhil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/co...set/4314651.stm

With Ponting being unable to commit then i'm well chuffed with this signing. His experience of 94 Tests and 334 one day appearances should hopefully get us off to a flying start before Graema Smith arrives to lead us to glory. Off course it could all go pear shaped and our season will be over by the end of June.

I'm not to sure that re-signing Nixon Mclean is the smartest thing we've ever done though.

How are the other Counties shaping up? (Ofaz, Madger)

It is great to see the best players in the world playing in the British counties, especially Somerset and Gloustershire,,, all we need now is Tendulka to pop down to these parts of the world. That would be legendary..

But then again, there would be more chance of Zidane signing for City...

I used to go to Taunton! Wiltshire believe it or not have cars too!

Wiltshire, as you know, are minor counties and frankly I wanted to see the better Cricketers!

I apologise for taking an interest! I assure you I will try and stick well and truely within my Wiltshire borders now!!!

biggrin.gif

I used to go to Taunton! Wiltshire believe it or not have cars too!

Wiltshire, as you know, are minor counties and frankly I wanted to see the better Cricketers!

I apologise for taking an interest! I assure you I will try and stick well and truely within my Wiltshire borders now!!!

biggrin.gif

Wouldn't it have been easier for you to have gone to see cricket in Bristol, Gloucester or Cheltenham? Seems strange to me to drive all the way to Taunton to see some poor quality cricket when there is some really good stuff being played nearer your home.

Apologies for late reply, haven't been on here much lately.Thus far we have signed Upul Chandana, but recent news that the Sri lankans have arranged a tour to India means we are unlikely to see him for half the season! Other than that we have signed Will Rudge full-time, (he's been playing 2nd XI Cricket for ages) and Carl Greenidge from Northants, which is a much needed boost to our bowling attack, particularly as Lewie is looking likely to finally earn a deserved England call-up (performing well for the 'A' side at present.

As for the other teams, I'd say you've had the best of the winter signings so far with Graeme Smith et al, but I expect Hussey of Durham to do most of the run scoring up there this year, Harbajhan and Murali to take a hatful for Surrey and Lancs, and a return to form for Andy Flower and Tudor at Essex.

Title winners this year then..

Division 1 Champs -I fancy Lancashire to do the job this year, especially with Murali coming in to galvanise the squad, and working in tandem with the overlooked Keedy will bowl them to the title. With Fred likely to play the first 6 games or so aswell I can see them coming out of the blocks fast and putting up an unassailable lead. Watch out for Surrey who'll still be hurting after a terrible last season.

Div 2- Essex - Have bolstered their squad well over the winter, and providing they can get Tudor fit, should be too strong for this division. Fancy yourselves to return to Division 1 aswell, along with Yorkshire.

Am uncertain about the C+G and Twenty/20, really depends on the weather. No, really it does. Take your pick to be honest, from a whole host of teams. Just don't expect to be at finals day if your a Derby, Durham, Somerset or Northants fan.

Over and out. biggrin.gif

I'm not a cricket fan or anything so don't blame me if I'm wrong...has anybody heard of ex-somerset cricketer Harvey Trump, because he is my history teacher in wolverhampton now. Wanted to know if this is true or if he just makes it up

Yep. Mr Trump was a spin bowler for Somerset in the late 80's. As a teenager he was also part of the England under 19 squad.

Title winners this year then..

Division 1 Champs -I fancy Lancashire to do the job this year, especially with Murali coming in to galvanise the squad, and working in tandem with the overlooked Keedy will bowl them to the title. With Fred likely to play the first 6 games or so aswell I can see them coming out of the blocks fast and putting up an unassailable lead. Watch out for Surrey who'll still be hurting after a terrible last season.

Lancs went down last year, they'll walk the second division though.

Archived