IGNORED

Travel Destinations

RegC

Self explan title really. Am off to Chicago for a few days next month so any info on places of interest/bars/restaurants etc. . . would be nice.

Went there recently. The Palmer House Hilton is a good place to stay, very central.

When you get there, just buy a guide book and do whatever takes your fancy. One thing you must do is have a meal at the Hancock Observatory - it's on the 95th floor and is, apparently, the highest restaurant in the world! The views are beyond belief.

Great town, very laid-back and friendly. Actually feels quite "old", unlike most of the USA.

Hey there!

Like, my entire family is originally from Chicago....except for me. I'm the only California native in the bunch. biggrin.gif Right then, let's see here. Since I don't know you, I have no idea what your style is and what you're interested in. However, my recommendations for you to see (with thanks to my cousin) while here would be:

* SuperDog - world famous hot dog joint on Milwaukee have, just south of Niles, but in the city 'proper'. It's kinda "out of the way" in the tourist sense.... but you haven't "seen" Chicago unless you've eaten a Chicago hotdog and this is THE place to go. And for goodness sake, don't embarrass yourself by asking for ketchup on your hotdog!!!!! This is a food crime in Chicago. They'll put darn near anything on your hotdog, but ketchup.....just don't do it.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2824...try+again+later.

* Pizza - Chicago is famous for hotdogs and deep-dish pizza. My personal favourite Chicago pizzeria is Lou Malnati's Pizzeria at 439 North Wells Street.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

* Navy Pier - tourist trap, but lots to see and do

* Any museum - Art Institute, Field Museum, Shed Aquarium, Planetarium, etc., if you've got the time/interest

* Chicago Symphony Orchestra - world famous, but I'm not sure when their season starts.

* Grant Park - See the famous Buckingham Fountain, and across Lake Shore Drive is, of course, The Lake. Check out that whole area.

* Architectural Boat Tour - you can catch them on the river around Wacker Drive and Michigan have. You'd cruise the river for a bit and learn about the buildings downtown. It's really pretty cool, and gives a perspective on Chicago's architectural history and influence. Even though I've never been on this tour, several friends and family members have recommended this.

* Magnificent Mile - a stroll up/down Michigan have where all the major shopping gets done; a must see

* Sears Tower Skydeck or John Hancock Observatory

* Kingston Mines - great Chicago blues club

* The Greenmill - great Chicago jazz club, a throw-back to the 30's

* Billy Goat Tavern ("cheeseboigah, cheeseboigah, cheeseboigah")

* Take a ride on the 'L' (The Elevated Train)

* Wrigley Field - if you can manage (you can even get there from the Red Line 'L'). Baseball season isn't until April 8th, but do go to see/feel the ballpark even if you can't get tickets.

* Walk around downtown, soak it all in

* Eat some more!!! There are a ton of excellent restaurants in Chi-town. If you get a craving for Mexican, there are a million taquerias around, and there's Frontera Grill, Rick Bayless' world-famous restaurant in the River North neighborhood.

There's much more to do/see - like AndyJones2004 said, grab a guide book and see if anything catches your interest. Hope this helps!

.....Kelly smile.gif

Hey there!

Like, my entire family is originally from Chicago....except for me.  I'm the only California native in the bunch.  biggrin.gif  Right then, let's see here.  Since I don't know you, I have no idea what your style is and what you're interested in.  However, my recommendations for you to see (with thanks to my cousin) while here would be:

* SuperDog - world famous hot dog joint on Milwaukee have, just south of Niles, but in the city 'proper'.  It's kinda "out of the way" in the tourist sense.... but you haven't "seen" Chicago unless you've eaten a Chicago hotdog and this is THE place to go.  And for goodness sake, don't embarrass yourself by asking for ketchup on your hotdog!!!!! This is a food crime in Chicago.  They'll put darn near anything on your hotdog, but ketchup.....just don't do it.

etc etc

Also food related:

Great Chinese food can be found at Ben Po.

Also, try to have a steak at Gene and Giorgetti's (although that may not be the correct spelling).

You will not be hungry in Chicago!

* Wrigley Field - if you can manage (you can even get there from the Red Line 'L'). Baseball season isn't until April 8th, but do go to see/feel the ballpark even if you can't get tickets.

Forget the baseball get along to the United Centre and catch an NBA game. A resurgent Bulls are doing well this season, it'll be so much more exciting than sitting through over 3hrs of baseball.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/schedule/

(just as a side point I have been to a baseball game, it was the LA Dodgers-Arizona Diamondbacks last June and the game takes forever - on the plus side some random American guy bought me a Dodger dog !!).

Guest David Courtney

I cant believe that all of these people don't know Reg but have hit the nail on the head first go -Food, Food, Food!

It's impossible for foodboy RegC to go hungry anywhere

Anyhow,Navane has summed it all up quite comprehensively, but make sure you go to Wrigley and if the Cubs are out of town then do the tour anyway & head south to watch a sox game, its the next best thing.

Anyhow,Navane has summed it all up quite comprehensively, but make sure you go to Wrigley and if the Cubs are out of town then do the tour anyway & head south to watch a sox game, its the next best thing.

Sure, the Chicago White Sox "are the next best thing".....if you consider the Bristol Rovers to be "the next best thing". If you're the kind of person who thinks that the Gas are a suitable alternative to City, go ahead and see the Sox. Otherwise, stick with the Cubbies.

.....Kelly innocent.gif

I believe after LA and NYC it has the highest violent crime rate in the US.

People mistakenly think that cities with higher populations must automatically be the most unsafe. We can't just say that the cities with the highest rate of a particular type of crime must be the most unsafe - you must look at the rate in relation to the population. Which city is less safe? A city of 50,000 which had 110 incidents of violent crime, or a city of 500 people which had 75 incidents of violent crime?

At any rate, here are the Top 10 most UNSAFE cities in the US (with populations greater than 300,000):

St. Louis, MO

Atlanta, GA

Kansas City, MO

Tampa, FL

Memphis, TN

Tucson, AZ

Columbus, OH

Baltimore, MD

Miami, FL

Detroit, MI

Did you notice that Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City do not appear in the top 10? They're not in the top 20 either.

Here are the Top 10 SAFEST cities in the US:

San Jose, CA

New York, NY

Anaheim, CA

Santa Ana, CA

Virginia Beach, VA

Long Beach, CA

San Diego, CA

Las Vegas, NV

Los Angeles, CA

Indianapolis, IN

Well what do you know?! NYC is in second place! And Southern California cities occupy 6 of the top 10 slots! Chicago, for what it's worth, just makes the cut at #20.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/unsafest_cities/

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/safest_cities/

So, travel to Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City, and rest assured! smile.gif This has been a public service announcement brought to you by OTIB's resident Yankee. wink.gif

.....Kelly smile.gif

I cant believe that all of these people don't know Reg but have hit the nail on the head first go -Food, Food, Food!

It's impossible for foodboy RegC to go hungry anywhere

Yes, well done "Dave" !!!

I do like my food & am looking forward to supersizing myself USA stylee.

The BodyWorlds exhibition is on as well over there 'til Sept so that will

be nice before a nice big lunch!!!

People mistakenly think that cities with higher populations must automatically be the most unsafe. We can't just say that the cities with the highest rate of a particular type of crime must be the most unsafe - you must look at the rate in relation to the population.  Which city is less safe? A city of 50,000 which had 110 incidents of violent crime, or a city of 500 people which had 75 incidents of violent crime? 

At any rate, here are the Top 10 most UNSAFE cities in the US (with populations greater than 300,000):

St. Louis, MO

Atlanta, GA

Kansas City, MO

Tampa, FL 

Memphis, TN

Tucson, AZ 

Columbus, OH

Baltimore, MD

Miami, FL

Detroit, MI

Did you notice that Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City do not appear in the top 10?  They're not in the top 20 either.

Here are the Top 10 SAFEST cities in the US:

San Jose, CA

New York, NY

Anaheim, CA

Santa Ana, CA

Virginia Beach, VA

Long Beach, CA

San Diego, CA

Las Vegas, NV

Los Angeles, CA

Indianapolis, IN

Well what do you know?! NYC is in second place!  And Southern California cities occupy 6 of the top 10 slots!  Chicago, for what it's worth, just makes the cut at #20.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/unsafest_cities/

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/safest_cities/

So, travel to Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City, and rest assured! smile.gif  This has been a public service announcement brought to you by OTIB's resident Yankee. wink.gif

.....Kelly smile.gif

Fair enough, I never said Chicago was unsafe just that it had one of the highest violent crime rates in the US - could you check that one out?!

Guest David Courtney
Sure, the Chicago White Sox "are the next best thing".....if you consider the Bristol Rovers to be "the next best thing".  If you're the kind of person who thinks that the Gas are a suitable alternative to City, go ahead and see the Sox.  Otherwise, stick with the Cubbies.

.....Kelly  innocent.gif

I take your point about the white sox, but RegC needs educating in the ways of Baseball and should watch something while he's there.

Very few places are as good as wrigley for a game but he needs to watch something rather than nothing. Failing which he should find a bar & just watch some Red Sox games on the T.V for a proper education! biggrin.gif

Well - I have now booked my flights & am going April 14-18. Neither the Baseball or Basketball teams are home though. Anyone with any ideas what to check out over there is welcome to reply!!!

Archived