IGNORED

Today's Sun Newspaper Say's

cityfan

Am I alone in finding the continual knocking of Mr Coles tiresome and generally ill informed. In my view it has become a mantra which tries, but fails, to explain wider failings.

For the best part of 2 seasons he formed an essentially sound central defensive partership with Tony Butler, the effectiveness of which can be judged by the low numbers of goals the team conceded (last season in particular). This term he has lined up in the middle alongside Butler, Hill, Ireland, Fortune and, most recently, Carey. Only 2 of those are genuine centre halves and it's no wonder this has been one of his less convincing seasons: central defenders thrive on partnerships and continuity. And I don't even believe his performances have been that bad overall.

This will no doubt be met with predictable responses about his attitude, off-field activities etc. But the bottom line is he's a good player who, given the right circumstances, can continue his impressive development at this club. Continual messing with personnel and formations will not help to achieve this.

Guest Savagemoster
Am I alone in finding the continual knocking of Mr Coles tiresome and generally ill informed.  In my view it has become a mantra which tries, but fails, to explain wider failings.

For the best part of 2 seasons he formed an essentially sound central defensive partership with Tony Butler, the effectiveness of which can be judged by the low numbers of goals the team conceded (last season in particular).  This term he has lined up in the middle alongside Butler, Hill, Ireland, Fortune and, most recently, Carey.  Only 2 of those are genuine centre halves and it's no wonder this has been one of his less convincing seasons: central defenders thrive on partnerships and continuity.  And I don't even believe his performances have been that bad overall.

This will no doubt be met with predictable responses about his attitude, off-field activities etc.  But the bottom line is he's a good player who, given the right circumstances, can continue his impressive development at this club.  Continual messing with personnel and formations will not help to achieve this.

true coles has been a very strong player for us last season, and something as happend to put him off his game, and i completly agree if had another good regular partner he could come through strong again

true coles has been a very strong player for us last season, and something as happend to put him off his game, and i completly agree if had another good regular partner he could come through strong again

Away to Colchester along side Ireland Coles had a great game, and after the 5-1 defeat of Oldham, Tinman praised his improvement and attitude. Alongside an Ireland type he plays much better imo.

Jacky enjoyed a bottle of vodka or 2 before matches and he was quality

A very reliable source of the time told my father that Gerry Gow drank a bottle of whisky a day when he was on his best form.

Not that I would recommend it of course.....

Bourbon man myself.... whistling.gif

Archived