IGNORED

Fact Or Fiction

greenun

Delete fact or fiction as appropriate. Why?, please give a very brief explanation.

1. City have the potential to reach the play-offs.

Fact Fiction

Why?:

2. The team and management are totally united in their efforts to achieve a top 6 finish.

Fact Fiction

Why?:

3. Several senior players are responsible for the team's current position, with their poor form and discipline.

Fact Fiction

Why?:

4. The management are to blame for not enforcing discipline strongly enough and their poor coaching and tactics.

Fact Fiction

Why?:

5. The Academy is the only way forward, due to the imposition of August and January transfer windows from next season in the Football League and City will have better resources to recruit and exploit.

Fact Fiction

Why?:

Guest Tactical Genius

Fiction

Why?: The squad is an essentially limited, even for third tier football, group of players. Under the astute leadership of Wilson the players performed above themselves for a number of years. Alas, his ineffectual use of the transfer market meant that the goal of promotion remained out of his reach. Fans point to stunning victories over the stronger sides in the division as evidence of the squads quality, whilst ignoring the reality that these performances happen about twice a year and are clearly not the norm.

2. The team and management are totally united in their efforts to achieve a top 6 finish.

Fact

Why?: I'm sure that they are, or as much as any group of about 20-25 indiviuals can be in a work situation. However effort should not be confused with the ability to do the job.

3. Several senior players are responsible for the team's current position, with their poor form and discipline.

Fiction

Why?: Nobody who has appeared in the back nine this season can cover themselves in glory. Nearly all of our coaches were defensively minded players, but we can not defend. Either there is a basic lack of ability (my view) or the players are incredibly stupid and incapable of learning. Or in the case of Danny Coles, both.

4. The management are to blame for not enforcing discipline strongly enough and their poor coaching and tactics.

Fact Fiction

Why?: A bit of both. I don't think I would be alone in thinking that 91 other clubs in the football league wouldn't dream of giving our management team a chance, most would not even consider it for a second. But to put it all down to them would absolve the players of any responsibility. The squad is not good enough as it has proved season after season. The fact that performances have got worse under this management team simply demonstrates that they are not as good as Wilson's backroom team.

As regards discipline, until these young men start earning realistic money for what they do then they are unlikely to behave in a professional manner. This a problem throughout the country as can be seen by the recent behaviour of Pennant and Timm for example. When you can earn over 50k a year (at our level) by being a limited footballer then the lifestyle takes over rather than concentrating on developing as a player.

5. The Academy is the only way forward, due to the imposition of August and January transfer windows from next season in the Football League and City will have better resources to recruit and exploit.

Fiction

Why?: With the exception of a very special group of players at Manchester United who emerged in the mid-90's, something which they have been unable to recreate since, you don't win anything with kids. And with the exception of Celtic's Lisbon Lions you don't win anything by having a team based on people born within a 30 mile radius of the club. The money tied up in developing these players has hardly paid off, and would be better used by paying the wages of proven players (at our level) with proven ability (at our level).

Fiction

Why?: The squad is an essentially limited, even for third tier football, group of players. Under the astute leadership of Wilson the players performed above themselves for a number of years. Alas, his ineffectual use of the transfer market meant that the goal of promotion remained out of his reach. Fans point to stunning victories over the stronger sides in the division as evidence of the squads quality, whilst ignoring the reality that these performances happen about twice a year and are clearly not the norm.

You're absolutely spot on with everything in this post Tactical Genius, particularly your assessment of Wilson's tenure at the club.

Just nit-picking, I think our squad does have the POTENTIAL to reach the play-offs and maybe even finish top two. However, Tinnion's appointment at the club was the wrong one and undoubtedly meant that we've taken a big step back from where we were under Wilson. The top FOUR teams in this league all have proven quality managers but similarly limited squads like ours.

Fiction

Why?: With the exception of a very special group of players at Manchester United who emerged in the mid-90's, something which they have been unable to recreate since, you don't win anything with kids. And with the exception of Celtic's Lisbon Lions you don't win anything by having a team based on people born within a 30 mile radius of the club. The money tied up in developing these players has hardly paid off, and would be better used by paying the wages of proven players (at our level) with proven ability (at our level).

Oh dear, I fear for you. The pro-academy brigade will be after your blood now. Are you Ashtonyate in disguise? biggrin.gif

Oh dear, I fear for you. The pro-academy brigade will be after your blood now. Are you Ashtonyate in disguise?  biggrin.gif

As I have said before, I don't argue with ashtonyate because he is anti-academy, I argue with him because his posts are so contradictory and illogical. I'd argue with him even if he was trying to prove the world was round because he'd do it so badly.

Guest Tactical Genius
I'd argue with him even if he was trying to prove the world was round because he'd do it so badly.

And you'd be right to do so pmd, for TG is led to believe that it is not quite the perfect sphere.

Archived