IGNORED

Wilkshire ...

headhunter

Now many will say our Aussie international is our best player of the season but I disagree.

In the last two and a half games this guy has been totally anonymous.

He is a former premiership player who cost us £250k and he should really stand out at this level but he doesn't does he - certainly not with the consistency you might have a right to expect.

How many 50-50 balls does he win ? Why can't he show some inspirational leadership from the heart of the midfield - we saw more from rookie Scott Brown yesterday with some of his surging runs.

Remember it was our Luke being quoted in some soccer mag during the summer saying that playing at this level was not doing much to help his game and that he might wany away. On too many occasions yesterday he looked like he had his mind on keeping himself intact for his next international rather than giving the 110% effort needed in the first of our "10 Cup Finals"

Am I being harsh ??

Nope, not at all.

We don't need pretty boy football in this league. We need grafters who can put the ball in the right areas and people who don't duck a 50/50.

A defence that are built like a brick poo house and get their bodies in the way of everything, a midfield who can feed off the knock downs of a big centre forward and close down the opposition, two wingers who have pace and can cross a ball accurately most of the time, and a pair of strikers one huge who can head a ball and will take knocks and the other who's quick and alive to all of the flick ons.

People can slate me if they wish but Wilkshire just isn't suited to this leagues football, he's too lightweight.

It's certainly not harsh to say Wilkshire has been poor in the last 3 or 4 games. On the other hand, it would be harsh to say he hasn't been consistantly excellent in the games prior to that.

When Luke came back from the Olympics he played with a new confidence and spirit, and has even chipped in with 9 goals from midfield, which is not a bad return with 9 games still to go.

As you correctly say, he has faded badly in the last couple of weeks, but to slate his overall contribution this season is nothing short of ridiculous in my view. I know City fans can be fickle, but to forget this guys performances only back in October/November time is taking it to the extreme.

It's probably worth remembering his season started a month earlier than ours, captaining Australia in the Olympics. It's been a long 9 months or so for Luke.

It's certainly not harsh to say Wilkshire has been poor in the last 3 or 4 games. On the other hand, it would be harsh to say he hasn't been consistantly excellent in the games prior to that.

When Luke came back from the Olympics he played with a new confidence and spirit, and has even chipped in with 9 goals from midfield, which is not a bad return with 9 games still to go.

As you correctly say, he has faded badly in the last couple of weeks, but to slate his overall contribution this season is nothing short of ridiculous in my view. I know City fans can be fickle, but to forget this guys performances only back in October/November time is taking it to the extreme.

It's probably worth remembering his season started a month earlier than ours, captaining Australia in the Olympics. It's been a long 9 months or so for Luke.

So whats gone wrong with his performance Godzilla?? How can a player suddenly go out of form like that? I remember seeing the olympic game he took all the corners and free kicks and was excellenct, and you quite rightly pointed out that he was great when he came back from greece. So has he lost faith in the club like he did after the play-off final when he made those comments on his website? God only knows sad.gif

Nope, not at all.

We don't need pretty boy football in this league. We need grafters who can put the ball in the right areas and people who don't duck a 50/50.

A defence that are built like a brick poo house and get their bodies in the way of everything, a midfield who can feed off the knock downs of a big centre forward and close down the opposition, two wingers who have pace and can cross a ball accurately most of the time, and a pair of strikers one huge who can head a ball and will take knocks and the other who's quick and alive to all of the flick ons.

People can slate me if they wish but Wilkshire just isn't suited to this leagues football, he's too lightweight.

Amen to that....

Plymouth, Hull and Luton must have done something right...

We need a ball winning centre half and another winger desperatley. Summer at this club will be a very very important time.

Nope, not at all.

Wilkshire has been playing like someone who is keeping himself fit ready for the deal that his agent can get him.

I can't say I blame him, if I had his talent I would be looking to go to a team that used in the right way and a set of fans that appreciated him.

To answer to of your points screech. Your first section is an excellent description of Joe Burnell, perhaps we should bring him back?

Secondly, far from being lightweight it was noticeable that when he moved to the middle on Saturday, he won more tackles than Docherty.

I would not be surprised if Wilkshire ends up at some premier league foreign side in the next season or two.

Wilkshire has been our best player and when he was at his best before the 'one to ones' he then got dropped. Wilkshire only looks light weight but he thinks quicker than the rest of the team. If you actually watch the game when he has the ball just have a look at how many people give him options. NONE!!!!!!!

Wilkshire is IMO our best midfielder by far and to slate him for two poor performances is harsh. So does that mean that the other 10 players were poor as well yes. Don't blame this on one player blame one manager for poor tactics and man management.

Nope, not at all.

Luton's Brkovic is, if anything, smaller than Wilkshire and they are doing ok, aren't they?

I'm sure Wilkshire will be on his way in the summer if he can get himself a move and I'm not going to defend his performances recently but if you think he's bad, playing, as someone said out of position, what about the rest of what must be our weakest midfield in at least four years?

Dinning, a disgrace to his profession, no effort at all.

Doherty, fit and available for only 50% of each season over the last 8 years!

Orr, honest trier, but Joe Burnell mark two.

Murray, Saturday aside when he put all of his best crosses in this season, has been a big disappointment.

Goodfellow, if Wilkshire is lightweight, what is he?

Tinnion, far too slow to play now even if he wasn't managing.

Face it, mate, with competition like this Wilkshire looks a world beater.

Perhaps he's fed up of playing out of position on the left?

Which obviously affords him the god-given right to bottle out of and avoid any physical contact whatsoever then!! Still at least when he's fed up he can reflect on his pathetic pay packet of £2-3 grand per week. Poor old Luke!!

Guest alex1089

Tommy doherty and Luke Wilkshire in the middle! Brown can use his pace on the left hand side and then we'll see the best of Luke Wilkshire!

Olympic highflyers Iraq v Australia in Sydney this month will be huge. Both have young fast teams, and the talent scouts and agents will be there in large numbers. A fit uninjured Luke Wiltshire will undoubtedly be putting in a huge game to get himself a good contract in the higher divisions. My oldest son will be at the game so some intel will be forthcoming.

Tommy doherty and Luke Wilkshire in the middle! Brown can use his pace on the left hand side and then we'll see the best of Luke Wilkshire!

he needs to be played in the middle agreed, the vision this guy has for this division is second to none....... just a shame we don't have the players to read the passes!

LW has been poor recently, but I'm more disappointed in a group of fans who sit in Block A of the Dolman and find the energy to shout abuse at LW, and only LW, for a whole 90Minutes.

'####### Disgrace' and 'Get ####### Wikshire off' have been their favourites this season.

Wont be long and their worries will be over.

Which obviously affords him the god-given right to bottle out of and avoid any physical contact whatsoever then!! Still at least when he's fed up he can reflect on his pathetic pay packet of £2-3 grand per week. Poor old Luke!!

Spot on Matey....Luke avoids all physical contact and always has...a major problem if your playing in the centre of midfield in third division football...Yes hes a good player but we get beaten because we don't compete with sides who have nowhere near the players of quality and resources we have, which likely means hes a luxury we cant afford.... However I would suggest the alternative is to play the players that are likely to give it everything for the remainder of the season in the middle of the park -Brown Gillespie Doherty Cotteril- and right now I'd rather get hung for being a sheep than a lamb-

At least Luke has improved since last season (some good performances & 9 goals so far). The trouble is his best position is central midfield and to get the best from him we need to play him in a 3-5-2 formation so he has alot more time on the ball. Personally I don't like that formation as when we play it (BCFC) it usually turns into a 5-3-2.

BCAGFC

At least Luke has improved since last season (some good performances & 9 goals so far). The trouble is his best position is central midfield and to get the best from him we need to play him in a 3-5-2 formation so he has alot more time on the ball. Personally I don't like that formation as when we play it (BCFC) it usually turns into a 5-3-2.

BCAGFC

And there lies the problem... I think you are right on both counts and whilst Luke has the ability to play at a higher level the fact is.. we are not at that level....Third division football gets ugly in midfield and also requires runners whilst LW has undeniable ability on the ball he has never to my memory made a box to box run or won a 50-50 and the problem is exacerbated by the fact nor does anyone else...teams like sheffield and Blackpool second half (among too many others) just intermidate us by getting stuck-in and running off the ball and we are unable to do anything about it... dunno.gif

1. we do not need to play 3-5-2 to have wilkshire centre midfield at home, agreed away it might be a problem

2. he HAS been one of our best players this season, some people would rather have a team of crap players who try hard than someone who is talented but doesnt battle for every challenge.

3. i would be more inclined to slag off the manager for dropping him because i don't see what he did wrong, maybe your just not allowed to be good to play for city anymore

4. what do u expect from wilkshire? when we bought him we knew he wasnt guna battle as if the world depended on every challenge, but what we did know is that he is far more talented than the rest of our squad (maybe bar lita)

5. he is an australian international playing with the like of harry kewell, mark viduka and brett emerton and u r trying to tell me he is a dissapointment, pull the other one - their is something wrong with our football club at the moment, not luke wilkshire

6. i could go on but please feel free to comment on what i have said because id like to see what people think bout my opinions on luke, which are clearly one sided!!

i think yes he has played poor the last few games, but when he started on the left he was playing really well. i think it time he gets put back into his position in the middle where he can control the play and be there player we all know he is

he is still my fav player anyway .

Archived