IGNORED

A Quicky

TheOne

Guest Tactical Genius

Of course it could. It won't however, because the calibre of midfielder needed to supply two relatively short strikers does not play in the third tier.

Of course it could. It won't however, because the calibre of midfielder needed to supply two relatively short strikers does not play in the third tier.

I would say Wilkshire and Murray (of a couple of years back) would be of the calibre to supply Heff and Lita.

But with Orr and Dinning in your midfield, you're right, it's never going to happen at this level.

Guest XrAnGeX

Its a shame, as in my opinion they both deserve a start.

Maybe it is worth another go, as we have modified the midfield slightly since they were last tested together.

I would say Wilkshire and Murray (of a couple of years back) would be of the calibre to supply Heff and Lita.

But with Orr and Dinning in your midfield, you're right, it's never going to happen at this level.

Dinning has demonstrated on more than one occasion that he is arguably one of the best two passers of the ball at the club, if not the best.

Last season one of our main problems was lack of goals but a Lita/Heffernan combination would have got quite a few.

We created a lot of chances but with players who wanted the ball in the air most of the crossses were fired in low to feet. Not what the likes of Peacock and Miller wanted but something that Lita and Heff would have thrived on.

Dinning has demonstrated on more than one occasion that he is arguably one of the best two passers of the ball at the club, if not the best.

Yes, but is it too risky to play him as we can never be sure when the next Dinning occasion will be? dunno.gif

He has also PROVED to be a donkey on more than one occassion. I couldn't put my faith in him to start regularly in midfield and consistently supply Heff and Lita with a ball to feet.

Luckily Tinnion seems to have already lost his faith in the waste of space as well.

Guest Tactical Genius

The Murray of a couple of years ago is not coming back. That leaves you with Wilkshire as the sole outlet. Stick a couple of big lads on him to mark him out of the game, and where necessary to kick him up in the air, and all threats are nullified. The next logical step is that the back four then proceed to hoof aimless balls in the general direction of the opposition penalty area. You wouldn't create many clear chances playing like that.

edit: missing word.

didn't heff play just behind ll & SB a few home games ago? - seem to remember him looking quite good there?

Only City seem to have this idea of playing strikers in midfield or on the wing to give them a game. Would anyone consider playing Owen in midfield?

Miller, Gillespie, Cotterill, Roberts, all have strived to do their best for the team while playing in an alien position.

Heffernan is more than good enough to start in his preferred, erstwhile very successful position up front.

Tinman has made it clear who he rates highest, even when off form, and that's Brooker and Leroy, and while that persists the most likely scenario is Heffs moving on for not much more than 100k. in the Summer.

Neville and Riley proved that you don't need a big target man as part of a successful front pair, as has been said its the supply to the strikers which is paramount.

Archived