IGNORED

No New Signings Today - Ep

Dynamite Red

CITY SET TO KEEP FAITH IN PRESENT SQUAD

24 March 2005

Brian Tinnion today admitted the chances of recruiting fresh faces to boost Bristol City's play-off push were fading. Despite trying all season to sign a towering centre-half, the City manager was bracing himself for a quiet day on the transfer front, with the deadline to sign new players set for 5pm.

I understand that Championship club Plymouth Argyle have attempted to lure Danny Coles to Home Park. Pilgrims boss Bobby Williamson was at Saturday's match at Torquay to run the rule over the defender.

All indications are, however, that the transfer-listed Bristolian will stay put.

Tinnion now looks set to enter the vital final eight games with a squad shorn of experience. He insists, however, that he has the personnel to make a play-off bid and insists that it hasn't been for the want of trying that the commanding 'first-ball' defender City have been desperately chasing has not arrived.

The Robins have made no secret of their admiration for Chesterfield's Ian Evatt and Hartlepool's Michael Nelson.

But Tinnion reiterated that City were not about to "panic buy" with so few fixtures remaining and the top targets currently unobtainable.

"I know the people I want and they are going to cost money, which I'm told is not available," he said. "It's about getting the right players in and one thing I'm not prepared to do is buy for the sake of it.

"This club is not the strongest financially at this moment. A lot of money, something like £800,000, was spent on signing players last season with the express aim of winning us promotion and, unfortunately, we didn't achieve it.

"Quite a few players have left the club and the only two I have paid out for are Paul Heffernan (£150,000) and Steve Brooker (£225,000).

"But that's life and we have to get on with it. I understand the position, that the cash simply isn't there at this moment. Besides, clubs

WESTERN DAILY PRESS 2 Stories

-----------------------------

TINNION IS READY TO MAKE COMEBACK IF NEEDED

BY NATHAN JONES

10:05 - 24 March 2005

Bristol City boss Brian Tinnion is stepping up his training and may make a playing return before the end of the season. The City player-boss will retire at the end of the campaign and was not planning to appear again.

But he took part in training at Abbots Leigh yesterday for the first time in weeks and will increase his workload just in case he is needed after today's transfer deadline.

Fellow midfielder Luke Wilkshire is not expected to return to England until late next Friday afternoon after playing two games for Australia.

The Aussies have friendlies against Iraq (this Saturday) and Indonesia (Wednesday). So he will have little time to recover before City host Port Vale in their return to League One action the following day.

"It will probably be late on the Friday when he gets back and it will be a difficult one for Luke to be involved (on Saturday) but I will speak to him on the phone over the next six or seven days and see how he is and how much he plays of each game," said Tinnion.

Meanwhile, Tinnion has hailed the display of his captain Jamie Smith during the 4-0 win at Torquay on Saturday.

The manager revealed that Smith had been a doubt to play right up until kick-off. "He was ill and he didn't have much sleep on Friday night," said Tinnion. "And really right up until the warm-up and during it we weren't sure if he would play the game.

"But he really wanted to play and he pushed on and it's good when your captain wants to do that. It sets an good example. We had Bradley Orr ready to come in if Jamie hadn't made it. Obviously as soon as we went 4-0 up I took Jamie off."

However, contract talks with the former Wolves man are on hold.

"We are probably going to wait until we see where we are financially before we know what we can do," said Tinnion.

"Financially we are not in a brilliant position at the minute so we will have to be careful and we will probably wait until the end of the season to see what we are going to do."

---------------------------------------------

SKUSE IS 'DESPERATE' TO STAY WITH CITY - TINNION

BY NATHAN JONES

Bristol City boss Brian Tinnion has predicted that teenage midfielder Cole Skuse will sign a contract with the club. The 18-year-old Bristolian has attracted interest from Bolton Wanderers and Charlton Athletic.

But Tinnion believes that Skuse is 'desperate' to stay.

He said: "He has come on leaps and bounds and done extremely well and he is a lad I really want to keep.

"I coached him when I did the under-14s four or five years ago and I know exactly what he is all about and he is desperate to stay here and play his football here.

"So I can't see a problem with Cole Skuse staying here and signing a contract here and being part of it."

Skuse is in his final year at the club's academy but will soon be offered his first professional deal.

Bolton have shown strong interest in the youngster so far but Tinnion is clearly also a big fan.

"He is a good sitting midfield player and he can also play at the back," he said.

"He has got excellent technique and he can put his foot in and I think over the next few years he is really going to come on and be a heck of a player."

Skuse's emergence, along with a host of other starlets, has demonstrated the importance of the academy.

Tinnion said last night: "We had a squad today of 14 without all the internationals and the basis of it now is the young lads.

"If the money isn't available to bring players in, the likes of Golbourne and Cotterill and Skuse are very important to us."

---------------------------------------------

SKUSE IS 'DESPERATE' TO STAY WITH CITY - TINNION 

BY NATHAN JONES

Bristol City boss Brian Tinnion has predicted that teenage midfielder Cole Skuse will sign a contract with the club. The 18-year-old Bristolian has attracted interest from Bolton Wanderers and Charlton Athletic.

But Tinnion believes that Skuse is 'desperate' to stay.

He said: "He has come on leaps and bounds and done extremely well and he is a lad I really want to keep.

"I coached him when I did the under-14s four or five years ago and I know exactly what he is all about and he is desperate to stay here and play his football here.

"So I can't see a problem with Cole Skuse staying here and signing a contract here and being part of it."

Skuse is in his final year at the club's academy but will soon be offered his first professional deal.

Bolton have shown strong interest in the youngster so far but Tinnion is clearly also a big fan.

"He is a good sitting midfield player and he can also play at the back," he said.

"He has got excellent technique and he can put his foot in and I think over the next few years he is really going to come on and be a heck of a player."

Skuse's emergence, along with a host of other starlets, has demonstrated the importance of the academy.

Tinnion said last night: "We had a squad today of 14 without all the internationals and the basis of it now is the young lads.

"If the money isn't available to bring players in, the likes of Golbourne and Cotterill and Skuse are very important to us."

Cole Skuse will sign a new contract tomorrow with City - you heard it here first. whistling.gif

Guest Slinky
Cole Skuse will sign a new contract tomorrow with City - you heard it here first.  whistling.gif

Well, if he does, he should think about the company he keeps. Loud-mouthed 'mates' who can't help showing off what they know may not be what he needs around him.

Well, if he does, he should think about the company he keeps. Loud-mouthed 'mates' who can't help showing off what they know may not be what he needs around him.

Not sure what you mean?

Can you enlighten us as to who has load mouths & shows off? dunno.gif

Guest Slinky
Not sure what you mean?

Can you enlighten us as to who has load mouths & shows off? dunno.gif

I would explain but I can't think of a way of doing it without referring to your lack of mental capacity. I'm sure you'd report me if I did that, so I'll have to leave it.

I would explain but I can't think of a way of doing it without referring to your lack of mental capacity. I'm sure you'd report me if I did that, so I'll have to leave it.

Slinky, I don't want to report you.

The content of the post is there for all to see.

I was just asking as to who you thought Skuse shouldn't keep mates with?

Players ?

Sorry if you don't think my mental capacity could cope.

Never mind.

Guest Slinky

The content of the post is there for all to see.

I was just asking as to who you thought Skuse shouldn't keep mates with?

Players ?

"Loud-mouthed 'mates' who can't help showing off what they know may not be what he needs around him."

Sorry if you don't think my mental capacity could cope.

Apology accepted.

Slinky - unfortunately I've just had the 'pleasure' of reading yet another one of you completely pointless posts as richieb quoted you.

I think it must be about 90% of your posts that actually respond to either me or richie and virtually none of them ever respond to subject matter, they tend to lean towards calling names and other general spiteful behaviour....

And who said I was Cole Skuse's mate?

PS - did you have a troubled childhood or is your boss bullying you? GENUINE questions that need answering.

Fair enough richie - same here I 've only ever hit the report button a couple of times and never even against master slinky.

However, having just looked at his masterful contributions to this thread (for example) you have to say dear oh dear.

Commenting on the poster.

Again, poster.

"Loud-mouthed 'mates' who can't help showing off what they know may not be what he needs around him."

Apology accepted.

On repeat, with a hint of sarcasm for good measure.

I'd recommend putting him on 'ignore' richie - he never need return to this forum again. laugh.gif

Guest Slinky
Slinky - unfortunately I've just had the 'pleasure' of reading yet another one of you completely pointless posts as richieb quoted you.

I think it must be about 90% of your posts that actually respond to either me or richie and virtually none of them ever respond to subject matter, they tend to lean towards calling names and other general spiteful behaviour....

And who said I was Cole Skuse's mate?

PS - did you have a troubled childhood or is your boss bullying you? GENUINE questions that need answering.

I am saying you are Cole Skuse's mate. Thought that was fairly obvious.

If you read the thread you will see that richieb responded to my post, not vice versa.

Oh, you won't see this will you, because you have me on ignore (Of course you do, we all believe that).

Archived