IGNORED

Academy Money Best Spent Elsewhere?

Mad Cyril

The number of academy / Bristolians in the City team in the last few seasons has been great. However, does it really make sense to be releasing players at a point when they are poised to step up from reserve team to first team, and for a "nominal fee".

Maybe fair enough if you get a reasonable fee, but we don't. Aside from Hill's token £100k, when was the last time we generated a return through sale on a home grown?

I recall City put something like £2m into the academy each year. That's a big chunk of money that could otherwise go on 3-4 big, tried and tested signings a season - rather than spending 3-4 years developing players like Amankwaah to then give away to another club who don't put investment into an academy.

The point is - either stick with your better academy players through to the point they can genuinely challenge for first team, or bin the whole thing and put the money into buying the best that League 1 or the championship can offer.

(PS I liked Amankwaah for pace getting forward, and for being a defender who bettered the 5'9" team average.)

• Admin
The number of academy / Bristolians in the City team in the last few seasons has been great. However, does it really make sense to be releasing players at a point when they are poised to step up from reserve team to first team, and for a "nominal fee".

Maybe fair enough if you get a reasonable fee, but we don't. Aside from Hill's token £100k, when was the last time we generated a return through sale on a home grown?

I recall City put something like £2m into the academy each year. That's a big chunk of money that could otherwise go on 3-4 big, tried and tested signings a season - rather than spending 3-4 years developing players like Amankwaah to then give away to another club who don't put investment into an academy.

The point is - either stick with your better academy players through to the point they can genuinely challenge for first team, or bin the whole thing and put the money into buying the best that League 1 or the championship can offer.

(PS I liked Amankwaah for pace getting forward, and for being a defender who bettered the 5'9" team average.)

This topic is regularly done to death.

For previous examples, please view any post started by ashtonyate. These topics can be found here

Oh and the Academy costs closer to £500k per annum so not quite the £2m you were led to believe.

Lita.

Archived