IGNORED

African Nations Cup

Guest pogue mahone

Guest pogue mahone

What is your take on the situation of Freddi Kanoute with regard to which country he plays for? A situation also faced by Lamine Sakho of Leeds United and Mohamed Sissoko of Valencia and due to be ruled upon by FIFA today.

As you are probably aware, FIFA rules changed recently allowing anyone who has played for one country up to (I think) "B" level (but not a full international), to change their country. This is provided that (a) their parentage qualifies them and (B) they make a substantial written representation to FIFA explaining their proposed switch.

Kanoute fulfils both criteria above and has previously played for France at U21 level. He also snubbed Mali when they courted him 5 or 6 years ago. This snub angered many Malinese.

I am behind Kanoute, mainly because of the disgraceful public statements made by Pleat.

I can understand THFC's concern at being caught out by this rule change but they should have handled the matter better, preferably behind closed doors. For Pleat (who doesn't exactly speak the language of diplomacy well) to make statements such as “I have asked the other players where Mali is, and they don’t know” is both embarrassing and shameful.

If he wants to go then he should. However, I can’t help thinking that he is maybe showing a lack of ambition. After all, he is scoring at the rate of 0.70 goals per game in a pretty poor side. If he carried on like that then surely he could not be overlooked for a place in the France squad? He would not oust Henry or Trezeguet but would be a decent squad player. Can he really be hopeful of a world cup appearance for Mali (who would need to finish ahead of Senegal to qualify)?

Guest pogue mahone

Mark Lawrenson distinguished himself on Football Focus by ridiculing Kanoute for suddenly deciding he was Malian. From a man who suddenly became Irish !!

Archived