IGNORED

Assuming Goodfellow Signs

graham b

If Goodfellow agrees terms I will be intrigued to know the way in which he will be introduced to the fans on the main site.

As Stokes official web pen picture describes him as a forward or left winger I am wondering whether the words right wing will be making an appearance. Perhaps he will be described as a different player to Luke Wilkshire. Wilkshire having been described as a different player to Scott Murray, which of course as a central midfielder he was.

If indeed he ultimately proves to be a forward then he joins a list of seven who Wilson has already brought to the club

Peacock

Matthews

Roberts

Miller

Lita - through the academy

Fagan- as loanees

Robins

Wilson will stand or fall by the success or otherwise of his next purchase. Lets hope that if he signs Goodfellow proves to be the right winger/forward/left winger we have been looking for and he leads us to promotion.

Wilkshire having been described as a different player to  Scott Murray, which of course as a central midfielder he was.

Actually, Luke was described as being seen as "a replacement for Scott Murray."

If Danny ever comes to my house and breaks anything, I don't think I'll bother asking him to replace it.

DW: "Sorry, I've broken your vase. I'll replace it."

Me: "Ok, Danny. No problem."

Later on...

DW: "Here you are, a replacement for that vase I broke."

Me: "Umm... Danny, this is an ashtray."

DW: "Yeah, I know, but it's of equal quality."

Me: "Doesn't really do the job of the thing it's replacing though, does it."

DW: "Oh, come on, I'm sure we can use it as a vase. Lets' put some water in it and stuff a few flowers in and pretend it's something it's not."

Me: "Ok...."

DW: "Hmmm... Not really working, is it? Maybe it'd be best to use it as an ashtray, after all."

Actually, Luke was described as being seen as "a replacement for Scott Murray."

In that we had a player leave and Wilkshire was a player joining. In that sense he replaced Murray. Your analogy would be better if Wilson had broken a Crystal vase and replaced it with a china one. :D

C

In that we had a player leave and Wilkshire was a player joining.  In that sense he replaced Murray.
Ohhh, I see. My mistake.

So Wilkshire was never seen as a replacement for Scott positionally speaking, then?

Remind me. Where was Luke played when he first joined the club?

Your analogy would be better if Wilson had broken a Crystal vase and replaced it with a china one. 

Not really. A china vase, essentially, does the same job as a crystal one.

Ohhh, I see. My mistake.

Not really. A china vase, essentially, does the same job as a crystal one.

Do you have a wife? Mine wouldn't consider that they do the same job!! One could be displayed in say the lounge but the other couldn't :D

So Wilkshire was never seen as a replacement for Scott positionally speaking, then?

Don't ask me - I didn't sign him!

You are forgetful aren't you! Left back!

C

My money is on him simply being described as a 'winger'

They won't describe him as a striker because that would make us look a bit stupid considering the number of strikers we already have at the club.

And they won't call him a 'replacement for Scott Murray' because that would be misleading and untrue.

In that we had a player leave and Wilkshire was a player joining.  In that sense he replaced Murray.  Your analogy would be better if Wilson had broken a Crystal vase and replaced it with a china one.  :D

C

DW actually said that LW was a "different sort of player from SM".........then proceeded to play him out of position for 4/5 months.

The phrase "he'll come in from the wing" (thinking about it, what other way is there to go???) was used.

That was after he was touted for weeks as Middleborough winger. Luke Wilkshire, on the website!

Either way, if this kid is as left footed as BT, I'll bl00dy scream!!

As Stokes official web pen picture describes him as a forward or left winger I am wondering whether the words right wing will be making an appearance.

So right wing did make an appearance in the main story

" He is expected to fill the right wing position, at least initially"

Like Luke Wilkshire then.

" Marc's versatility is a useful added asset and he can add competition for places in several roles"

No one got versatility did they. (Sorry Hornbeam did!)

Sounds more like an ash tray than a vase! :D

sounds more like an elegant plastic objet d'art that could be used as an ashtray but might also hold flowers.

In any event less of the analogies- this has to be good news as it will increase competition for places. We never had to replace Murray like for like- we played a certain way when we had Scott but we simply need to learn to adapt to the players we have rather than covet something we have not.

So far whether Wilkshire is a vase or an ashtray there is no question that he is a high quality one, and if Goodfellow is of the same quality then I don't think we'll be complaining too much.

Also positive that the Board have once again backed the manager and are seeking to build on the recent run. Should put us in a good frame of mind for Notts County on Saturday and another 3 points to bolster the push for an automatic place. :D:o:(:angry:

Well, our questions have been answered - he's been described as a man who can play on both wings or up front.

Thats the nice way of putting it !

You could have said...

'he's basically a left footed striker who can play out of position'

Archived