IGNORED

'commitment And Desire'

City Rocker

Interested to read Tinman's 'Commitment and Desire' quote. Yes there was an abundance of it at Brentford - from the Brentford players, management and fans. Did anyone else notice how partisan the home crowd were yesterday? Far more than I've detected in the past at Griffin Park over the years.

What I particularly noticed was how the crowd mirrored the behaviour of Martin Allen on the touchline - animated, passionate, intimidating the ref at every opportunity. Someone better aquainted with psychology than I am may be able to relate 'Social Identity Theory': where a group adopts the behaviour of its leader.

When did we last have a manager who instilled a united wave of passion and fervour in the club, from the players through to the fans? Terry Cooper? Joe Jordan? The image of Danny Wilson leaning impassively against his dug out is legendary. And, looking back, a general malaise has hung around AG throughout that period and since.

Tins may have the passion, but doesn't, apparently, have the ability to instill that into his squad. Maybe we need a Martin Allen? Or a Terry Cooper?

Archived