IGNORED

Colin Gordon

Maverick

The last time we played Doncaster at home (87-88) was also a crucial game to get into the play offs.

Colin Gordon scored late in the game with his hand if I remember correctly.

Heres hoping for that sort of luck again. w00t.gif

remember it being a very tense game with alan walsh missing a pen after about 60 mins. sweatingbullets.gif .i think gordon scored with about 15 mins to go starting scenes of madness all around ag.happy dayz. city.gif

That game was what it is all about!

Everyone had written us off but we kept plugging away and Colin Gordon slid in with the keeper and came out with the ball to sidefoot home sparking absolute mayhem!

The Gate went wild and people around me were crying!

And who was up front for Donny Rovers that day? A very young Brian Deane!

Come on lads!!! dance.gif

That game was what it is all about!

Everyone had written us off but we kept plugging away and Colin Gordon slid in with the keeper and came out with the ball to sidefoot home sparking absolute mayhem!

The Gate went wild and people around me were crying!

And who was up front for Donny Rovers that day? A very young Brian Deane!

Come on lads!!! dance.gif

din,t we win away at york the following week aswell?

din,t we win away at york the following week aswell?

No, we had won at York on the Bank Hol Monday 5 days earlier with a goal from Ralph Milne.

Just looked in the old record book and with 4 games to go City were in 8th - they won the lot then beat Sheff Utd in the play-off semi [in the days when the 3rd from bottom team in the league above had a chance to stay up] before losing to Walsall !

It as 1-0 with a Ralph Milne goal wasn't it?

Ralph Milne used his pace to tear free of the York defence, then skilfully dinked the ball over the advancing keeper to send us City fans absolutely nuts. What a great day that was. smile.gif

Admittedly memories of the moment may have been enhanced by the passage of time. I do remember it was a lovely finish by Milne that day, though, with barely a second to spare.

What a player Milne was. He made Alan Walsh seem like Linford Christie, yet he could pull off moments of exquisite skill probably bettered only by Jacki in the time I've been watching. If ever the word 'enigma' applied to a player, it applied to Milne.

His bizarre exit to join Man Utd was just the sort of appropriately unlikely end to his time at Ashton Gate. A bit like Peter Beardsley, he was one of those players it was easier to imagine wearing a suit and going to work as an insurance salesman than clad in shorts playing professional football.

I was only thinking about this the other day.

As I remember, Doncaster were the better side with a youthful centre forward, one Brian Deane and Rufus Brevett at full back.

Colin Gordon was a typical "handfull" type centre forward and the goal was very debateable as he kicked the goalkeeper and the ball in front of a packed Park End.

The referee bottled it, but who cares.

I recommended we should sign Deane-We didn't, he joined Dave Bassetts Sheff Utd for £35k and took them to the Premiership!

Happy Days dance.gif

I remember that York game, cos Scott Mcgarvey missed a chance where it was practically impossible to miss, but he managed it.

All of a foot out from the goal line, managed to put it over the bar.

It was one of those games where we had 5 million chances, and we were never going to score, until Ralph swung in an intended cross which curled into the top corner, right in front of us.

He said later it was a shot, if that was intentional I'm Desmond Tu Tu!

Also remember Colin Gordans goal, cos he nearly killed the keeper with the challange, and the relief was immense.

And their was much singing and dancing in the streets.

Can also remember Jordan scoring an absolute thunderbolt from about 30 yards, in similar circumstances around that time?

I remember that York game, cos Scott Mcgarvey missed a chance where it was practically impossible to miss, but he managed it.

All of a foot out from the goal line, managed to put it over the bar.

It was one of those games where we had 5 million chances, and we were never going to score, until Ralph swung in an intended cross which curled into the top corner, right in front of us.

He said later it was a shot, if that was intentional I'm Desmond Tu Tu!

Also remember Colin Gordans goal, cos he nearly killed the keeper with the challange, and the relief was immense.

And their was much singing and dancing in the streets.

Can also remember Jordan scoring an absolute thunderbolt from about 30 yards, in similar circumstances around that time?

Against Gillingham??

Yes, against Gillingham indeed. We were struggling, I think he may even have come on as a sub, but typical JKoe he led from the from. He took the ball from the halfway line, stunned us all by dribbling it until he was about 30 yards out, then unleashed the winner. He admitted afterwards that the only reason he had hit it from 30 yards were that his legs had gone and he was too knackered to run any further!

How we could do with a Joe Jordan-style experienced leader on the pitch these days to guide and inspire our talented youngsters.

remember it being a very tense game with alan walsh missing a pen after about 60 mins. sweatingbullets.gif .i think gordon scored with about 15 mins to go starting scenes of madness all around ag.happy dayz. city.gif

Got the feeling it was actually Colin Gordon who missed the penalty. I still can't believe that having only won 17 of our 44 games this season we are still in with a shout. What a weak division its been this season

Archived