IGNORED

Can It Be In Our Hands At S. Wed Game?

brady bunch

Is it possible for a play off place to be in our hands to get at the Sheffield Wednesday game? i.e if we win etc we automatically qaulify.

It is all I can take to go up there and see city win, but brentford or whoever to beat us to it by drawing?

Is it possible that if results go with us before the final Saturday it could be in our hands?

Or am I clutching at very big strays.

It ois certainly possible mathmatically that it could happen that way. Essentially if we beat Doncaster, and Bouremouth or Brentford lose their other games, we would go above them on goal difference - say to seventh, with Sheff Wed 6th. It would certainly be in our hands then.

Odds are against it, but not a 100-1 shot. Interestingly our goal difference with Sheff Wed is very tight - could come down to goals scored.

The only 'fact' so far, is if we beat Donny, it must go to the last game.

Our best chance in my opinion, is that Hartlepool lose or draw to Wallsall on saturday. If us, Bournemouth Weds all win, the point would be as follows:-

Sheff Weds - 72

Bournemouth - 72

Hartlepool - 70/71

Bristol City 69

I have not encluded Brentford in this equation as with the game in hand I think they have done enougth, this leaves 2 places up for grabs!

Bournemouth have Hartlepool at home on the last game of the season, whatever happens in this match, if we win at Sheffield we would go above one of them on goal difference, ie if they drew, Hartlepool would be on 72 points but there goal difference is not as good as ours. If Hartlepool win, we would go above Bournemouth on goal difference.

This is all assuming we have a better goal difference than Sheff, but I think the best they would manage at Hull will be a 1-0 win, taking there goal difference to +19. If we win against Donny 2-0 our goal difference would be +18, therefore if we win 1-0 at Sheff our goal difference would be better as if we would then be on +19 and they would be on +18.

Its all a lot of ifs and buts, but our best hope is that Hartlepool draw or lose this Sat.

edit - after having looked at the table again, I think it would be a good idea to put 4 past Donny, just to be on the safe side!

Just as a bit of fun therefore (and of course if predicting games was this easy I'd be very rich).

Lets take some hypothetical results before the last day. All on paper possible;

Hartlepool 1, Walsall 1;

Hull 1 Sheff Wed 1

Bradford 0 Bournmouth 0

Luton 2 Brentford 0

Wrexham 1 Brentford 1

Bristol City 2 Doncaster 1

ok - so some more likely than others, but non outrageous.

The table going in the the last games then looks like (I think!), ignoring top three

Hartlepool 71 pts +12 goal difference

Sheff Wed 70 pts +19

Bournemouth 70 pts +15

Brentford 70 pts -5

Bristol City 69 pts +17

Then, last day! we away at Wednesday, Brentford home to Hull, Bournmouth home to Hartlepool!

So by my calculations, a win is certainly enough, and could even finish fourth! It is just possible a draw could do it.

All speculation of course, but with the games left, I fancy 72 points has a 50/50 chance.

I just pray to god that City play well on Saturday, and are up for it! We have been here before, I got all excited about the Bournemouth match, just to be let down with an absolutely disgracefull performance. They surely have to be well fired up for this one?

Chaps - you have done me proud, just the sort of stuff I should have been able to work out, but with an education at Brislington comp, it taxed the old brain.

I will certainly look out for the Hartlepool score, but as one of you has said, won't it be typically city to draw to Donny.

Archived