IGNORED

Value For Money

PhatWill

I notice that already, with just 2 1/2 months of the season gone people are starting to rate both Luke Wilkshire & Lee Miller's contributions to City based on how much we paid for them.

The fact is that Wilkshire is 22 and Miller is 20 and a LARGE proportion of their respective transfer fee's went on their prospective potential.

Miller may have scored twice, which doesn't look too clever for £325,000. But the lad is still learning how to ply his trade in English football. These two players are only going to get BETTER, not like say a Mark Robins who is on his way out of pro football...

Wilkshire and Miller ooze potential and I'm sure will both go on to make a big difference to BCFC in the long-term.

Edit: Just to add, niether player seems injury prone either which is always a bonus!

Wilkshire doesn't get injured because he doesn't tackle much and Miller isn't exactly Robbie Turner either.

However, my simple point, is that we cannot, as a business or a football club, whichever you prefer, afford to pay £300k for a bloke to play against Cheltenham reserves.

What has unbalanced our side is NOT signing LW & LM, it's selling SM and not replacing him with a similar player, which a blind man can see, LW, isn't.That's DW's fault.

The players can't help our valuation of them and their agents, on the face of it, played a blinder for them.

Simply put, I feel we could have spent £550k more wisely (Luke Beckett or Leon Knight, both tried and trusted-Sam Parkin £120k-Tommy Mooney-FOC) and 1/2 for the future is what the Academy's for.Major signings need to hit the ground running and they're not.

Seeing performances like Colchester & Wycombe away and looking at the sides that have gained promotion in recent years and that are above us this year ,does not fill me with admiration for our management team.

• Admin
I The fact is that Wilkshire is 22 and Miller is 20 and a LARGE proportion of their respective transfer fee's went on their prospective potential.

Wayne Rooney played and scored for England at 17 years old......what age do our players have to reach before their potential is filled?

Wayne Rooney played and scored for England at 17 years old......what age do our players have to reach before their potential is filled?

Indeed, but how many of these players come along in English or world football for that matter?

You know as well as I do that Wayne Rooney is an exception to the rule.

Both Miller and Wilkshire still need to settle in. I would've thought Wilkshire would've made a bigger impact than he has though.

Hopefully with both players getting enough games they should be able to kick start this campaign with City and really show their potential. Its really up to them to prove themselves now.

Bristol Boy, its a worthy point that I've thought about a lot. Should we of bought potential in the summer or bought seasoned pro's who would have made a more immediate impact?

Hard to be honest. I'd normally always go with the potential, we'll see how this season pans out over the forthcoming months.

I think the true test of their value will come when/if we are promoted or if we sell them on. I still think Miller will turn into something special, just needs to figure it all out but I think come next year (January not next season) he'll be our best player. Wilkshire on the other hand stated his major goal coming here was to play and make the Olympic Team, at the moment I can't see him being chosen.

What's the point of an academy if we ain't going to use it in the right way. If we're going to buy players in to improve our squad, then surely they should have a bit more experience to help us get out of this god damn awful division.

I like Miller alot and have no complaints about him but Wilkshire I can't see him progressing forward with City because he has no pace, even tinnions faster than him. He also doesn't have the skill which he needs if he doesn't have pace but maybe I'm wrong

Guest pogue mahone

wesco, sorry but you are.

miller will never score more than 10 goals in a season.

wilkshire does have the skill, alas no-one else in the side (tinnion apart) has the same vision. everytime i bring non-city people to the gate they always say the same thing, we have decent players but they are too slow to see the opportunities available to them. it is the current players who make wilkshire look poor because they don't see the space he plays the ball into before opposing defenders do.

as for pace, are we really judging players on how they run around "looking up for it" ? zidane, bergkamp, ballack, van bommell etc etc

wilkshire does have the skill, alas no-one else in the side (tinnion apart) has the same vision. everytime i bring non-city people to the gate they always say the same thing, we have decent players but they are too slow to see the opportunities available to them. it is the current players who make wilkshire look poor because they don't see the space he plays the ball into before opposing defenders do.

as for pace, are we really judging players on how they run around "looking up for it" ? zidane, bergkamp, ballack, van bommell etc etc

Disagree with you about Miller - he will score more than 10 in a season, maybe it won't be this one.

SPOT ON about Wilkshire though. Its too easy for City fans to label him as being "half a yard off the pace" when infact its the players around him that are off the pace so to speak.

I expect playing around better quality players he is a considerably more effective player to have.

Cheers Cheshire red btw - my mistake :D

I am of the opinion that Wilkshire and Miller were both good buys and will repay the club with performance, given the chance to do so.

Both players are young and need time to get used to the way football is played in the 2nd division.

Since Miller came from Falkirk, he should be at a level similar to us whereas Wilkshire is maybe still thinking at Premier League speed.

Let's face it, the main difference between the leagues has less to do with technical ability, but more to do with pace and speed of thought. Premier League teams think and play far quicker than we do.

It's a shame that we have to try to get Wilkshire to slow up his thinking in order to fit in. It would be far better if we could speed up everyone else to his level!

:D

Archived