IGNORED

Good Game, Bad Result

SimplyRed

Yesterday typified why many fans are hacked off about this season.

They want to watch a game that is full of excitement, passion and good football.

Even though we didn't get the result we wanted, I doubt there are many fans who didn't enjoy the game.

The only thing that worries me is "Are we becoming a one man team when it comes to scoring?"

We had a hatful of chances, especially in the 2nd half, and I can't help thinking that, had Lita played, we would have won comfortably.

The only thing that worries me is "Are we becoming a one man team when it comes to scoring?"

We had a hatful of chances, especially in the 2nd half, and I can't help thinking that, had Lita played, we would have won comfortably.

Not really. I recall Steve Brooker scoring twice yesterday.

Usually if one player ends up scoring lots more than anyone else then it will look like that team are relying on just one players goals. Were City a one man team when Bob Taylor scored so many in 1990? Who cares, we got promotion. I'd rather the club had good strikers and we have - we have at least 5 who are good enough for this level. Strikers haven't been the problem this year.

What I saw yesterday was the immense leadership skills of Steve Brooker - what a signing. I saw him away to Colchester when he was also captain that day, tackling back in our penalty area in the final minutes to ensure we held on to a 2-0 win. I was also more impressed with the youngsters than ever before. You want proud players who can't wait to pull on the shirt? - these are your guys. Not sure I've ever seen such well timed tackles and commitment from a young kid as I saw in Cole Skuse yesterday. Absolutely outstanding and definitely the MOTM. Brown, Gillespie and Golbourne were also very good. Golbourne makes me think that Matty Hill won't be as missed as I feared.

I know Brian Tinnion talks up the future very well but I do believe that we have a team that can go on from here. Some players will have to go and I hope that many of them will be remembered as loyal servant of the club - especially Murray and Bell - but if the money we can get for, say, Lee Miller, is spent on real class at this level the combination of Academy and experience could make us a very powerful team soon.

And what we want is a team that will go up and be able to stay up - don't forget that bit. You only have to run down the list of promotees over the last few years to see that almost all of them are in the bottom half of the next Division up. It's not easy in the Championship and we will need to consolidate there.

Archived