IGNORED

Marcus Stewart,

Portland Bill

the question is who would be dropped, or sold, cus you aint going to keep all those strikers happy.

one thing for sure if he arrived and nelson came the possibility of promo could be on the cards.

If both Nelson and Stewart came to Ashton Gate surely we'd be promoted as Champions !!!! chant6ez.gifcity.gif

the question is who would be dropped, or sold, cus you aint going to keep all those strikers happy.

one thing for sure if he arrived and nelson came the possibility of promo could be on the cards.

Stewart can also play left side or even behind the two strikers, but seriously he WOULD be the first name on the teamsheat surely ohmy.gif

Every effort should be made to get Stewart to the gate. Some players, if the opportunity arises (which is of course still the main issue) you just have to pull out all the stops to sign.

Stewart would be a significant upgrade on all our striking options and his signing would be a significant leap toward promotion next season.

As to who goes;

Obviously ideally you want to keep Leroy and Brooker. Which would mean Heffernan leaving, he could be used as very good bait to capture a creative midfielder. However i would say this;

contract talks should begin sooner rather than later with Leroy, because if he hesitates over signing a new deal we should accept an offer of a million or over, accompanied by a hefty sell on clause of course.

Guest PJPoolie
If both Nelson and Stewart came to Ashton Gate surely we'd be promoted as Champions !!!! chant6ez.gif  city.gif

I check this board every now and then ever since last years play offs and every time I do there is a thread mentioning Nelson, what makes you think you are going to sign him?? You are aware that he is under contract untill the end of next season aren't you? If we get up through the play-offs why would he want to drop down a division? He is also a North East lad and left Bury because he was homesick, Bristol is a little bit further than Greater Manchester! There are strong rumours that Hull will make a bid for him in the summer but I reckon it would take a fair sized bid (£500,000?) bearing in mind he is only 23. You have no chance of signing Micky Nelson.

You have no chance of signing Micky Nelson.

I agree 200% with that, some fans need to come back down from the clouds.

The club have already said we are very skint, I think this is part of the problem with some of the fans at this club, they just don't LISTEN, they even believe we are some kind of GIANT in the footballing world. rofl2br.gif

We are more likely to get Willie Nelson for a gig at the gate.

I agree 200% with that, some fans need to come back down from the clouds.

The club have already said we are very skint, I think this is part of the problem with some of the fans at this club, they just don't LISTEN, they even believe we are some kind of GIANT in the footballing world.  rofl2br.gif

We are more likely to get Willie Nelson for a gig at the gate.

Too right.

People can keep posting this nonsense but why do they think that the links with Heywood of Swindon are so strong?

Because he's local, on cheap wages and on a free transfer, that's why.

There will be no players, Evatt, Nelson or whoever signed for fees this summer.

Guest i&jmh

city.gif Back to the Marcus Stewart debate.On radio

5 live yesterday,whilst the commentators were at the

Sunderland game, his name came up.They mentioned the fact

that it was his last game for Sunderland and that next

season he would be seen playing league one football at

.................... Bristol City. I have not seen any

mention anywhere else, but how come the commentators seem

to know before anybody else, unless it came from either

Sunderland FC, Marcus Stewart himself or just rumour.

One thought I had however. How about a player/coach

role within the club.

Stewart is a great player and would be a fantastic addition to any team in our division.

However if signing him prevents us financially from siging a big ugly centre back and a fast left sided player we should stick with Brooker and Lita/Heffernan/Gillespie because we desperately need players in the other positions more.

If we can have all 3 then great.

Nibor

And so would Frank Lampard, but that's not the question.

Can we afford his wages?

He was on £16,000 a week, because he signed when Sinderland were in the Premiership.He's out of contract and 32.

Now, If you're MS do you:

1.Stay there another season and play in the Premiership, cop, let's say, half that, or do you come here on £2.5/3,000 a week tops?

There is also the question of other Championship clubs like, Wolves, Soton, Norwich, West Brom,Palace, Hull even, being interested and offering a higher level of football AND more money AND some of them aren't as far from Bristol as Sunderland.

I know the blokes's a City Fan and Bristolian but money talks and we need a centre half, left sided midfielder and a target man more.

All in all, it's highly unlikely.

Nelson, what makes you think you are going to sign him?? You are aware that he is under contract untill the end of next season aren't you?

And that's your problem.At the ed of next season, he's 24,on a Bosman and can walk away for nowt.So, you have a choice and his agent knows it.Get some money now or nothing in a seasons time.Up or down, he'll leave you this summer and the fee won't exceed £150k.Bit like us with Matt Hill.

There are strong rumours that Hull will make a bid for him in the summer but I reckon it would take a fair sized bid (£500,000?) bearing in mind he is only 23. You have no chance of signing Micky Nelson.

Our chairman has already said that we will not pay fees for any player in the close season.Unfortuneately, that isn't clear enough for some of the more "intellectually challenged," of our supporters!

Hull bid £75k before and you wanted £125k.

Marcus is currently having talks with a number of clubs (including Bristol City) apparently and is hoping to come back to Bristol to play or retire! Make of that what you will, but here's hoping.

People can keep posting this nonsense but why do they think that the links with Heywood of Swindon are so strong?

In my opinion it's not nonsense at all. It's a very real possibility of signing a class player who loves Bristol City.

If you think thats nonsense then so be it.

In my opinion it's not nonsense at all. It's a very real possibility of signing a class player who loves Bristol City.

If you think thats nonsense then so be it.

Sorry, mate, you misunderstood me.

The "nonsense" I was referring to was the constant postings that we will buy the likes of Nelson or Evatt.

I was pointing out that we are skint and that no money will be spent on transfer fees by us this summer, hence the signing of Matt Heywood being a distinct possibility.

Stewart may well come to us, he's on a free and would obviously be a class above anyone else who we could expect to sign on a Bosman.

I'd expect he'd have to take a monumental paycut (he was on £20,000 a week, which is a Million a year at Sunderland!) and Tinnion's stated need for another big man up front would presumably also have to go on the back burner if we signed him.

Is Craig Ireland going to be on a free transfer now? If so then he would be a far better signing than Heywood. He done a bloody good job for us, Craig Ireland and it`d be great to have him at Ashton Gate next season. I think he would be a more influential signing than Stewart. But who knows... dunno.gif

Money isn't everything to some people especially when you've probably earned near £10million in the last 10 years.

He'll do what he thinks he will enjoy the most, is that struggling to get into a top 6 Championship first XI or helping his home club to promotion?

Great signing if we can still get the other two we absolutely need.

Nibor

• Admin
Is Craig Ireland going to be on a free transfer now? If so then he would be a far better signing than Heywood. He done a bloody good job for us, Craig Ireland and it`d be great to have him at Ashton Gate next season. I think he would be a more influential signing than Stewart. But who knows... dunno.gif

Don't forget when Steve Lansdown addressed the fans in the Red N White bar a few weeks back, he was asked about Craig Ireland, his reply was along the lines of the fact that he has a problem with his knee and struggles to play more than one game a week. . . Thats why we never signed him before !

Archived