IGNORED

Next Season

GrenadaRed

If all goes as expected we could potentially play the following very attacking line-up:

Philipps

Carey New Coles Golbourne

Anyinsah Brown New

Stewart

Brooker Lita

You can argue that Stewart should play up front in a 4-4-2, as we need more steel in the midfield, but if you play Wilkshire there we have no steel and this means dropping Brooker. I think Scott Brown has proved that he can be a holding midfielder. He can go on to be Tommy with pace and stamina. Anyinsah did enough at the end of the season to get in ahead of Murray.

If all goes as expected we could potentially play the following very attacking line-up:

Philipps

Carey            New          Coles          Golbourne

Anyinsah              Brown              New

Stewart

Brooker    Lita

You can argue that Stewart should play up front in a 4-4-2, as we need more steel in the midfield, but if you play Wilkshire there we have no steel and this means dropping Brooker.  I think Scott Brown has proved that he can be a holding midfielder. He can go on to be Tommy with pace and stamina. Anyinsah did enough at the end of the season to get in ahead of Murray.

No Skuse?!

No Wilkshire?!

Hmm....

Although the thought of playing Stewart, Lita AND Brooker does extremely appeal, i don't think, as ive just said in another post, you can jusitfy playing the 4-3-3 formation based on the evidence viewed so far.

There are far too many teams, indeed this league is pretty much fulll of them, who will simply bully a 3 man midfield out of the game. Our tactics would become very obvious very quickly and teams would simply pack the midfield;

if you cut off the body the head will die!

Having said this i have no real issue with trying out the 4-3-3 for home games. The quality of the front 3 accompanied by a tendency for teams to come to Ashton gate and put 10 men behind the ball could see the idea produce limited success.

We should continue to play 4-4-2 however tempting the thought of 'the 3 musketeers' may be. Teams escape this divison through work ethic and tough no nonsense football - a team with three 20 goal a season strikers in it will struggle in my opinion.

NB. Perhaps someone would like to put that last sentence in their signature, id bloody love it if that comment came back to bite me on the ass!

• Admin
Although the thought of playing Stewart, Lita AND Brooker does extremely appeal, i don't think, as ive just said in another post, you can jusitfy playing the 4-3-3 formation based on the evidence viewed so far.

There are far too many teams, indeed this league is pretty much fulll of them, who will simply bully a 3 man midfield out of the game. Our tactics would become very obvious very quickly and teams would simple pack the midfield;

if you cut off the body the head will die!

Having said this i have no real issue with trying out the 4-3-3 for home games. The quality of the front 3 accompanied by a tendency for teams to come to Ashton gate and put 10 men behind the ball could see the idea produce limited success.

We should continue to play 4-4-2 however tempting the thought of 'the 3 musketeers' may be. Teams escape this divison through work ethic and tough no nonsense football - a team with three 20 goal a season strikers in it will struggle in my opinion.

NB. Perhaps someone would like to put that last sentence in their signature, id bloody love it if that comment came back to bite me on the ass!

Well as someone mentioned the other day, the days are gone where you could pick the same tactics home and away and hope to go up.

This season we've mainly used a 442 away from home and been rewarded with a fairly decent points return.

Next season I would advocate, in the main, continuing the 442 away but go for the more attacking 3412 at home (and possibly the weaker opponents away).

Something along the lines of:

Phillips

Carey Heywood(?) Fortune

Cotterill Skuse Wilkshire Brown

Stewart

Brooker Lita

Obviously some of the personnel in certain positions are interchangeable eg Cotterill/Anyinsah but the idea is to place more emphasis on attacking sides at home.

Well as someone mentioned the other day, the days are gone where you could pick the same tactics home and away and hope to go up.

This season we've mainly used a 442 away from home and been rewarded with a fairly decent points return.

Next season I would advocate, in the main, continuing the 442 away but go for the more attacking 3412 at home (and possibly the weaker opponents away).

Phillips

Carey Heywood(?) Fortune

Stewart

Brooker Lita

Obviously some of the personnel in certain positions are interchangeable eg Cotterill/Anyinsah but the idea is to place more emphasis on attacking sides at home.

I like it but it seems a bit harsh on Goldbourne (assuming he is here and not with some Priemership reserve team).

• Admin
I like it but it seems a bit harsh on Goldbourne (assuming he is here and not with some Priemership reserve team).

Golbourne the left back away from home and an option wide left at home if we wanted to shore things up.

Phillips

Carey Heywood(?) Fortune

Stewart

Brooker Lita

3 at the back is certainly the method id like to see us try (as opposed to 4-3-3), however I'm not happy about Brown playing wide left and would like to see a new addition (which I'm sure we will have) fill that role. That does of course mean Brown drops to the bench which is harsh, i see him competing with Skuse in partnering Wilkshire.

The issue of Stewart not being one of a front 2 is one that I'm still not entirely comfortable with. Perhaps my fears are unfounded but i don't recall him occupying this role for other clubs, certainly not Sunderland or Ipswich and i worry that his affectivness may be lessened by not having him on the defenders shoulder.

Guest daveyboy80

Hi All

I'm not a city fan but went to watch you against MK dons (I'm a Northampton Town fan)

Anyway i would just like comment on your attack, In my opinion you could not drop either Lita or Brooker they were the difference between the two teams that day. So play all 3!

Lita - Is different class, quick and has a super eye for goal!

Brooker - Was captain that day and gave his all never stopped working and his leadership skills were excellent,One hell of a player and used his power well. Won nearly all header's he went up for! Good target player.

Stewart - Will score goals for fun in league 1!

Anyway I would like to wish you luck for next season & hopefully if we beat Southend in the play offs we will be playing you lot next year.

P.S - I also dislike rovers as 70% of the players and all management are ex Northampton!

Hi Daveyboy80. It's always good to hear the opinion of a neutral regarding our team. Most of us have got our fingers crossed that strwart will sign, some of us are hoping Lee Miller will return from his loan with Hearts too! The strikers aren't really a problem if Lita stays.

We need to sort out the defence, we are still letting in too many silly goals. Sign a big, no nonsence leader on the pitch, defender and we have a good looking team. We have plenty of youngsters with talent coming through, just need the right experienced players. Next season should be exciting.

Good luck in the playoffs, we been there, done that and found we aren't very good at them...so we are looking for an auto spot instead! I'll take 2nd place, I won't be greedy! biggrin.gif

Oh, and 'Cobblers' to you, that's a Northampton greeting isn't it?

Oh and you're right to dislike the Gas!

Guest daveyboy80

Thanks for the reply Red M...

Your defence did look a little iffy but would say all that bad, Wanted to see the legend that is of course Mickey Bell He played for the cobblers before going to wycombe, been a good servant to you lads!

Lee Miller looks good, i have seen he has been scoring a fair few goals to, however Lita & Brooker have 45+ don't they? I'm sure any team would take that from their strikers! I know the cobblers would. We have signed Andy Kirk this year he has scored 25 goals 7 fors us in eight games so hoping he could do the same again next year.

I hope we do get out of our div, means we wont have to play Ian Atkins and his cobblers reject's team.

Regarding the 'leader' I'm sure Steve Brooker could be your man??

No Skuse?!

No Wilkshire?!

Hmm....

No Cotterill - everone seems to forget he exists since Anyinsah played well! I recon with pace and skill on the flanks we can go without a big guy up front as we should avoid gashead like hoofball.

Phillips

Carey Coles A.N Other (fingers crossed Ireland or Evatt) Goldbourne

Cotterill Wilkshire Brown Anyinsah

Stewart Lita

No brooks, a bit harsh I know but there is no arguing that Leroy and Stewart are better . . .

Philipps

Carey            New          Coles          Golbourne

Anyinsah              Brown              New

Stewart

Brooker    Lita

You can argue that Stewart should play up front in a 4-4-2, as we need more steel in the midfield, but if you play Wilkshire there we have no steel and this means dropping Brooker.  I think Scott Brown has proved that he can be a holding midfielder. He can go on to be Tommy with pace and stamina. Anyinsah did enough at the end of the season to get in ahead of Murray.

Although I rate Scott Brown, I think him and Tommy are two totally different types of player. Scott is busy and efficient but not exactly solid in the tackle. He is a box to box midfielder. Tommy is a stopper, a spoiler and a holding role midfielder. I also think that Tommy is, at the moment, one of the most gifted players at the club. Despite what everybody thinks, I am sure we are going to miss him. I also think that we should keep Lee Miller. You have to question Tinnions management skills when players can go off on loan and "cut the mustard" but can't seem to perform in a City shirt. Even Tony Dinnings been transformed, though I think he was made a scapegoat by Tinnion.

So, Brian, this season IS really ######*t or bust. You failed us last season, you are lucky to have another chance. I'm afraid I predict another season of discontent with Tinnion at the helm. Prove me wrong Brian

Archived