IGNORED

Flapper And The Fans?

brady bunch

The report of the Notts County game, mentioned that all the team came over to acknowledge and celebrate with the city fans after the game, except Phillips???? I was there and did not notice, but is there more behind this?

I know he gets a bit of stick from time to time, not least on Saturday when he cleared the ball miles up field when we had nobody even in their half of the field. It cannot be because of exhaustion as he was not over worked apart from one great reflex save to keep us in the game at 1-1.

I am not a fan of his, mainly because he spends the game slagging off those around him, when he should concentrate on improving his own game.

I though the Notts County keep was pretty good? If they have no money perhaps we could buy him?

I don't like his attitude to the fans either, too many times he has glared at the supporters when there has been some deserved criticism.

The County goalkeeper came infor a bit of slagging on the Notts rivals site and from the new manager by all accounts. It appears he is not too popular with their supporters.

The report of the Notts County game, mentioned that all the team came over to acknowledge and celebrate with the city fans after the game, except Phillips???? I was there and did not notice, but is there more behind this?

I assume you are referring to my match report on bcfc.co.uk for the County game...

If so, it should be pointed out that the reference was towards the celebrating of the goal, which all players, bar Phillips, embarked upon. Steve was, of course, at the other end of the ground in goal and most probably concentrating on keeping the 2-1 lead at the time. Nothing was mentioned in the report about the celebrations after the final whistle.

Report: "The fourth official had just indicated three minutes of added time to be played when Bell's 25-yard free kick was parried clear by Mildenhall.

"Tinnion - who so desperately wanted to mark his 500th showing with victory - chased the loose ball on the edge of the box before whipping in an inch-perfect cross for Goodfellow to power home a header from six yards out.

"City's players, bar Phillips, all celebrated in front of the mass ranks of visiting fans, again chanting "for he's a jolly Goodfellow" - only this time it was much, much louder."

I hope that helps,

Cheers

Adam

I assume you are referring to my match report on bcfc.co.uk for the County game...

If so, it should be pointed out that the reference was towards the celebrating of the goal, which all players, bar Phillips, embarked upon. Steve was, of course, at the other end of the ground in goal and most probably concentrating on keeping the 2-1 lead at the time. Nothing was mentioned in the report about the celebrations after the final whistle.

Report: "The fourth official had just indicated three minutes of added time to be played when Bell's 25-yard free kick was parried clear by Mildenhall.

"Tinnion - who so desperately wanted to mark his 500th showing with victory - chased the loose ball on the edge of the box before whipping in an inch-perfect cross for Goodfellow to power home a header from six yards out.

"City's players, bar Phillips, all celebrated in front of the mass ranks of visiting fans, again chanting "for he's a jolly Goodfellow" - only this time it was much, much louder."

I hope that helps,

Cheers

Adam

Hmmmm..... dont you just hate it when people get the wrong end of the stick :huh:

Fair play to him if this was the case as exuberant celebrations at the wrong end of the ground could of lapsed concentration and really wound the opposition fans up a treat.

Thanks Adam for clearing that up (the reports are always first class and always worth a read, even if as Saturday I was there), I thought it refered to the end of the game, if it was the goal he cannot be expected to run the length of the pitch, not least because he would get a yellow card for his troubles.

The wider point about him moaning and shouting at his fellow defenders remains though and he needs to "grow up" a bit as city gal right said.

I think its unfair to critisise phillips , he made a couple of crucial saves on saturday , and he does celebrate with the fans , if you watch him at home games when we score he usually runs over to the dolman and jumps in the air with his fists up! And when we miss a chance he puts his hands in his head.

Perhaps it doesn't help if you and others continue calling him flapper, he may not be the best keeper in the world, but he's a very capable keeper, he's young for a keeper and will continue to improve year on year, yes he's made mistakes, who hasn't, but he's kept us in more games than he's lost us.

He probably needs some competition for his jersey which would keep him on his toes, he may feel too comfortable with no replacement putting pressure on him.

Anyone who played cricket against the main knows that he needs to grow up, he acts like a spoilt kid. The team he played for was full of young lads, in a good game they played well and beat us, but that was not good enough for flapper, he locked the kids in the dressing room and ripped right in to them for 20 mins and he wasn't even the captain.

The report of the Notts County game, mentioned that all the team came over to acknowledge and celebrate with the city fans after the game, except Phillips????
Adam has cleared up the confusion over the report.

But if Steve Phillips had anything to be fed up about, it would be that some people are trying to stick the totally unjustified nickname of 'Flapper' on him.

We have the best defensive record in the division, and Steve's saves have played a large part in that. Of course he makes mistakes. Every keeper does. Unfortunately they tend do to get noticed more than those of other players, as they often lead to a goal.

I wonder if anyone can tell me how many of the 20 goals we have conceded in the league are as a direct result of a mistake by the keeper?

Come on lads, why let the facts get in the way of a chance to slag someone off !!!! :huh::angry:

Look he is certainly the best keeper we've got (see LDV game v. Plymouth). Everytime I attend a match people are giving him a hard time. It can't help his confidence and form to be continuely ridiculed by his own fans, I'd suggest a new tactic if he makes a mistake lets give him a cheer and let him know we believe in him and for god-sakes stop calling him "flappy"

Guest Dolman Moaner

I still don't rate him myself.

I think the surname Flapper suits him to a tee.

positives :-

Good shot stopper.

Negatives :-

Poor on Crosses.

Doesn't come for balls he should.

Comes for balls he shouldn't.

Punches when he could catch.

Doesn't communicate with the defence.

Doesn't know how to line up a wall.

Oh and can't kick consistently well.

Best keeper in the Division my ar$e !

I wouldn't want a keeprer who didn't criticise errors!

Communication is a major part of being a goalkeeper and he has the right to shout at players if they make mistakes because he can se where the errors are coming from, saying that, he also gives praise where due!

Spot on did you not watch Schmeical (sp) he was always shouting at his defenders!

Spot on did you not watch Schmeical (sp) he was always shouting at his defenders!
This is the one thing Tim Howard points to, when he was a kid (project-40 player in MLS) he had the honor of playing behind Lothar Matteaus (sp?) who told him that he had to yell at his defenders, it didn't matter if they were international stars and you were but a kid. You had to communicate.

Guest City positive

I was at the match on saturday and Steve Phillips along with the rest of the team stood back in the first instance, to let Tinnion take most of the accolades that were so rightly showered on him by the city supporters.Then with the rest of the team he stepped forward to thank the supporters for the wonderful support they had given all game.If any thing Steve was one of the last to leave the scene.Steve is passionate about Bristol City if we win he is delighted, if we lose he is dissapointed and doesnt put quite as much into the after match celebrations which is understandable. As for calling him flapper,grow up mate,get a life, Steve Phillips is a very competant all round keeper. I wouldnt swap him for anyone in our division and not many in the first. Take sats game. He made the first goal was generally very steady all match and made a world class save to keep us in the game second half and whith rest of the defence has made us look a very solid unit. So lets lay off and cocentrate on more grown up adjectives to describe players who are after all part of the team we all support.

Look i think Steve has come on heaps and bounds over the past seasons and being a young keeper can still keep on progressing. Most keepers hit their prime around their 30's or even later, just look at Martyn at Everton.

I think we have already seen his kicking improve and the next thing for him to concentrate on is commanding his area.

Guest Dolman Moaner
As for calling him flapper,grow up mate,get a life, Steve Phillips is a very competant all round keeper. I wouldnt swap him for anyone in our division and not many in the first. Take sats game. He made the first goal was generally very steady all match and made a world class save to keep us in the game second half and whith rest of the defence has made us look a very solid unit. So lets lay off and cocentrate on more grown up adjectives to describe players who are after all part of the team we all support.
I am grown up and I do have a life.

I think Phillips is far from a competent keeper who has little competition to keep him on his toes at our club.

You won't change my opinion.

Guest City positive

I was relying to Brady Bunch who was the author of the topic. But if you thought i ment you Dolman Moaner. Then you must have a bit of a complex about being told to grow up! Has someone perhaps said this to you before?

Guest Dolman Moaner
I was relying to Brady Bunch who was the author of the topic. But if you thought i ment you Dolman Moaner. Then you must have a bit of a complex about being told to grow up! Has someone perhaps said this to you before?

If you read my earlier thread, you will see that I say that in my opinion I think the name "Flapper" suits him to a tee.

So although you may have been replying to Brady Bunch, you didn't exactly make this clear on your thread.

I do call him Flapper, so I would presume your "Grow up mate, get a life" could also be aimed at anyone who does ?

As for being told to grow up, I have probably been told to on countless occasions over the years, but certainly not for a while and I certainly do not have a complex about it.

Anyway, we are getting slightly off the subject of the Keeper you wouldn't swap for any in our Division and not many in the First.

Guest Dolman Moaner
If fans have taken the time to travel to Notts country then surely Phillips can go and give them a clap for the away support as they did him when playing.
He tried, but he missed.

Guest City positive

Fair point DM.I still dont think it very constructive to call your own keeper flapper.But if that is your way of support so be it What do you think of David James?

I reckon Phillips is an ok keeper who is improving. I agree part of the problem is we don't have any decent competition for his place - I think he was the only player to play in all games last season.

What will happen if he gets an injury? Is Stowel up to the job?

Who would you want as a reserve goalkeeper or to replace Phillips? :Confused13:

I think Philips is a good keeper. Met him once brief (nice chap). Although he could be a right ###### and I would not care, as long as he keeps the goals out.

Why the hell do we have to give individual players grief? It is a new one each week, are bored?

I prefere to remember the many time Steve has kept us in the game.

Guest Dolman Moaner
Fair point DM.I still dont think it very constructive to call your own keeper flapper.But if that is your way of support so be it What do you think of David James?
Maybe your right, I won't call him Flapper on here until he flaps again.

So expect to see something anytime after 4.50pm on Saturday :huh:

David James, he's also a bit of a flapper IMO and looks all over the place on crosses, his kicking is often wayward too.

He does pull of some unbelievable saves though.

From what i've seen from our Division, I would say Day (QPR) and Pogliacomi (Oldham) both seem pretty consistent.

Day also went up in my estimation when we played at QPR earlier this season, when he picked up the pastie that had been thrown at him by one of our fans and took a bite, don't imagine Stevie boy doing that do you.

Archived