IGNORED

As Much As I Hate The Gas

Alex

Roberts

Ellington

and possibly Zamora

Are all proven Goalscorers, and played for the Gas! Yeah Roberts did play for us, then ran off. But next season will be in the premiership, some have already didnt set much alight, But i really think Ellington will make it. Roberts has done before wasn't amazing but him with Ellington he will have it easier, Zamora had the chance, didnt do well but at West Ham he's playing some good football. To think he played for Bath!

I know we had Cole, he's done very well, and still is! But seriously I know we have a good youthall team(acedemy) but can you see any for the future hitting the big time like these guys have! Hill maybe there next year, but is he the only player we brought through playing at a higher level?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I don't understand?

Bob Taylor played in Prem

Shaun Goater did VERY well in the Prem

Liam Rosenior PLAYS in the Prem and does very well

Akinbiyi played in the Prem

Jim Brennan played in the Prem

I don't understand?

Matty Hill soon to be added to the list? whistling.gif

One thing the gas won't have is another Marcus Stewart. If you were a young, talented footballer growing up in Bristol, which club would you go to? The one with the FA Premier Academy and a reputation for giving youth a chance, or Bristol Rovers?

Even the staunchest gashead would have to think of their career and come to City. The only danger is that we overlook their talent, because we'll have first pick on all of them.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Ah not so, Scott Sinclaire is a perfect example.

Now Rovers have that deal with Filton I don't think we're going to have it all our own way!

Guest WillsbridgeRed
Well he may turn out to be, but so far he's the only example. Is he any better than Dave Cotterill?

I hear he's the best player to come out of a Bristol youth team in years, maybe ever.

Time will tell I suppose, but a number of prem clubs are eagre to snap him up!

I hear he's the best player to come out of a Bristol youth team in years, maybe ever.

He's 15...remember Marvin Brown? ph34r.gif

Maybe he will be brilliant, but he will be the exception to the rule. Just this season our Academy has given us a player being chased by 3 Premiership clubs and an England u17 international...not to mention a 30 goal striker!

Edit: actually I've no idea if he's 15, I may have made that up. He's young though, isn't he?

Rovers ceratinly have some very good players. Someone in my year last year I believe had the option of several teams, including us, yet chose to go to his team Bristol Rovers, partly because of their amazing new sports facilities (shared with Filton College and Filton High). He is now their 3rd choice keeper, and is expected to be 2nd choice next season. Another person (this time a girl) is leaving us to go to Filton College, and if she can get quite low grades she will get a relatively large scholarship to study at uni in America. Further evidence is the fact that another person from my school has just won the Shooting Stars competition, despite having been released by Cheltenham Town. We really produce them at our school, but then we are suposedly teh biggest in the area.

I'm a bit sketchy about this Rovers/Filton link up.

Anyone who knows, please enlighten me. I'm a fan of our Academy, but....

If Rovers can now offer youngsters superb sports/training facilities plus the opportunity to continue their education, how does this differ from our Academy?

Isn't this then an Academy in all but name and presumably cost?

If one of the best Bristol youth products "ever" chose their facilities over our Academy it seems our best days of monopolising the areas most promising young players is already behind us.

If City are not going to get the pick of the crop in the future, and some of the best local youngsters consider Rovers set-up to be a preferable option, surely the Academy expenditure will get harder and harder to justify.

Isn't the whole point of the Academy that the money that goes into it plus its reputation make it so demonstrably outstanding in the area that ALL the best young players are fighting to get into it.

Is this St.George's College going to give us a definite edge again, or will the end result be City offering much the same as Rovers but doing so in a more expensive way. dunno.gif

One thing the gas won't have is another Marcus Stewart. If you were a young, talented footballer growing up in Bristol, which club would you go to? The one with the FA Premier Academy and a reputation for giving youth a chance, or Bristol Rovers?

Even the staunchest gashead would have to think of their career and come to City. The only danger is that we overlook their talent, because we'll have first pick on all of them.

Any young player will go to the club that offers them the oppotunity....Its not a matter of picking your club unless you happen to be David Beckham....The gas have been consistently better than picking strikers from kids than we have....Lets hope that changes

I don't understand?

well this lot got us there and played there

AS BRISTOL CITY F.C something the gas has never

done wink.gif

whatever you want to call the league, the prem, old div.1

it was still top flight football vs arsenal, liverpool,

manchester united etc. so we have had our fair share of top

flight players.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

• Admin

A number of Prem Clubs were eager to snap up Cotts & Skuse too razz.gif

• Admin

If Rovers can now offer youngsters superb sports/training facilities plus the opportunity to continue their education, how does this differ from our Academy?

Isn't this then an Academy in all but name and presumably cost?

If one of the best Bristol youth products "ever" chose their facilities over our Academy it seems our best days of monopolising the areas most promising young players is already behind us.

If City are not going to get the pick of the crop in the future, and some of the best local youngsters consider Rovers set-up to be a preferable option, surely the Academy expenditure will get harder and harder to justify.

Isn't the whole point of the Academy that the money that goes into it plus its reputation make it so demonstrably outstanding in the area that ALL the best young players are fighting to get into it.

Is this St.George's College going to give us a definite edge again, or will the end result be City offering much the same as Rovers but doing so in a more expensive way.  dunno.gif

I'm not sure who the Gas play their games against but being in the Acadamy system allows us to play against the other leading Acadamies in the country. Surely this has to be of benefit to our own Academians education?

Roberts

Ellington

and possibly Zamora

I think it is more about the quality of Rovers' scouts, all these players came from lower leagues or other clubs didn't they?

Also your right about Zamora going to bath, I think he was on loan and managed to get a hat full of goals in a short space of time!

Guest sprout1883

Geoff Bradford played for England.

Cole may have played for England, but then being so good at business you made £0 from his transfer to Man U as you had no sell on clause.

10% would have netted you 6 or 700,000 pounds

You rejected Marcus Stewart as a kid.

Now are link up with Filton is going strong, there is now a competitive choice available.

The majority of are U16 team have signed bar Scott Sinclair who is off to a prem club.

Ah not so, Scott Sinclaire is a perfect example.

Now Rovers have that deal with Filton I don't think we're going to have it all our own way!

Unfortunately i go to Filton College and have to suffer loads of them sags.

Quality academy facilities, although I'm advised that the Rugby Academy is more successful than the football one.

Still rather have the academy we have now that a Youth System with Filton.

Guest sprout1883
Unfortunately i go to Filton College and have to suffer loads of them sags.

Quality academy facilities, although I'm advised that the Rugby Academy is more successful than the football one.

Still rather have the academy we have now that a Youth System with Filton.

But are youth system with comparative facilities, doesn't have the cost of running it like your Academy

There is a bit on the FA's web site about both bits. The FA

Basically the minimum standards for an academy involve a lot more coaching and teaching resources. Centres of excellence don't require as much in terms of playing facilities but I would imagine that the better the facilities the more they have to pay.

Is this St.George's College going to give us a definite edge again, or will the end result be City offering much the same as Rovers but doing so in a more expensive way.  dunno.gif

Whilst being a big fan of the academy, and thankfully last season we had glimpses of what it promises, I am very disappointed with how the St George's College set up has panned out. For one they have failed to provide pitches that are of an adequate standard. How did we let this happen? The matches have had to be played at the taining ground last season and there doesn't seem any change for next season.

I would be quite interested to know how the club actually approaches youth players. The prospectus for both clubs, in terms of facilities, could be very similar. I would hope that the club promotes itself in other ways as well. Such things as academic results, team league standing, level of opposition, coaches, coaching ste ups, allocated time for coaching, playing and learning, ratio of trainees to 1st year pros, average 1st year pro earnings. I hope that the vast majority of those factors are better for city than for rovers and other local clubs.

I hope but do not know the facts. Shouldn't we be shouting our pro points at the top of our voices?

a mate of mine at schoolboy age was a great player. scored 70 goals in one season, very good player, followed by on average about 50 for the 3 years i played with him. He had trials with Rovers and thier opinion of 'trials' is to see how mnay kick ups they can do.

Isn't that a great way to pick a decent player disapointed2se.gif

"ooops sorry boy, you only did 3, pi55 off to some other club"

But are youth system with comparative facilities, doesn't have the cost of running it like your Academy

For the rate and quality of the players coming out of the academy id rather pay more and have it over a youth system.

Can see many home grown youngsters in the Gas team. most of your squad are journeymen, look what happened with i dunno, Adam Barrett say.

Youngsters are the future and a youth system wont provide neither the number nor the quality of players that would be needed to take a club forward.

Archived